Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
BOB BOYCE new small cell 8 LPM
MadScientist Offline

BOB BOYCE new small cell 8 LPM
The link below is to part 1 of a 6 part YouTube video series on Bob Boyce's new cell design. It is pretty small and produces up to 8 LPM with 13 ea 316L SS plates using full concentration (20%) of Sodium Hydroxide. He is working with a manufacture for mass production of these. The full system (cell, PWM, refill canister, etc.) he hopes to get to around $800. Lots of good info during his presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoGPw9qo9...re=related
12-03-2008 06:05 PM
Find all posts by this user
colchiro Offline

RE: BOB BOYCE new small cell 8 LPM
Interesting video and concept to use the throttle position sensor to regulate the cell (but I think that's been discussed here too).

I'm trying to figure out what warrants the $800 price tag.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 08:04 PM by colchiro.)
12-03-2008 08:04 PM
MadScientist Offline

Yes, $800 is a bit steep. His comment on controlling HHO production based on engine RPM did sound interesting though. More acceleration = more HHO. As you mentioned, he suggests using throttle position. I think you might be able to do the same thing with a progressive vacuum switch (as long as your HHO is delivered near the air inlet, which he also suggests). For systems that turn on with the ignition switch, the vacuum switch could also double as a safety feature. Then the cell won't receive an electrical signal and produce HHO until there is engine vacuum.
I was impressed at the small size of his cell that can produce a stable 8 LPM. He also says he has tested 4 of his cells together on big semi-trucks and was producing 21 LPM. That's a lot of HHO in the space most guys are only getting 2-3 LPM.
12-04-2008 12:51 AM
Gary Offline

$800 complete with PWM, and sensor controls, dryer, pump and filter. It's 5N2 like the one I'm now building. I took key notes and are as follows:
1.) It's 2.3 Faraday
2.) uses a current regulator - not voltage? He contradicts himself there.
3.) Lowers voltage as it warms up
4.) 20% (full) NaOH solution
5.) PWM used in conjunction with throttle linkage
6.) Appx. 1 psi max in system
7.) Dessicant cannister for a dryer
8.) Put HHO in far from engine as possible (by filter) for blending purposes. (same as I do)
9.) HUGE output, over 6L.
Still, he's definitely into a bit more than just recovering costs.
12-04-2008 07:00 AM
realtyroy Offline

Gary Wrote:$800 complete with PWM, and sensor controls, dryer, pump and filter. It's 5N2 like the one I'm now building. I took key notes and are as follows:
1.) It's 2.3 Faraday
2.) uses a current regulator - not voltage? He contradicts himself there.
3.) Lowers voltage as it warms up
4.) 20% (full) NaOH solution
5.) PWM used in conjunction with throttle linkage
6.) Appx. 1 psi max in system
7.) Dessicant cannister for a dryer
8.) Put HHO in far from engine as possible (by filter) for blending purposes. (same as I do)
9.) HUGE output, over 6L.
Still, he's definitely into a bit more than just recovering costs.

He is totally in it for the money! I've seen that sealed up type cell before from someone else and when production slows down you cannot take the cell apart and clean or repair. Its junk at that point. The idea of using the TPS to regulate the volume of gas to the engine isnt going to work. When you step on the throttle the engine needs its fuel now and not after a few seconds when the cell reacts and the gas gets to the engine.

Its just looks to me like another guy trying to take advantage of people trying to save money. Lets promise them the world and we will deal with the problems later.
25mpg on a f-150 crewcab? Yea right!

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
12-04-2008 09:05 AM
colchiro Offline

IMO, the only advantage of the throttle position would be decreased load at idle, o/w it's hype.

I agree $800 means trying to recover development expenses the first month.

With a sealed unit, I came to the same conclusion... it becomes a disposable cell when it due for cleaning.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-04-2008 10:04 AM
ptours99 Offline

he's also claiming that it has a filter so you don't have to do anything.wowthat sounds good to me.those units that run on 20%run much cleaner too.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
12-04-2008 11:33 AM
wes77 Offline

This guy ran his race boats off of HHO only. He knows HHO and how to make it efficiently better than most.

You have to give him credit. He is taking the time to develop a commercial system that produces very well, comes in a package that just about anyone can utilize with little or no tweaking involved and with everything installed for $800. That is less than most of the kits on e-bay that suck not even considering any additional accessories and install costs... and he is getting some smart people involved in the manufacture of the cell and system, designing of the electronics, and in car functionality and reliability. I'd say he is taking HHO to the next level and I say hat's off... Nice work.

You can buy or build most of this stuff at home, but be honest, are you getting production numbers like that? Are you getting the combination right to get mileage increases like that? Most of us can build the individual components, but can't make them work together for anything... We scratch our heads wondering if it might be this or that or the other thing. Some have had great success, not to take anything away from them, but for most of us, we only know enough to frustrate ourselves...

It sounds like he knows the variables involved in using HHO and how to keep them in check in broad application. That is a huge accomplishment, and what we all need to understand to make HHO systems that work reliably on any vehicle. Lets hope he finalizes this and it makes it to market. That would bring HHO out of hit or miss garage experimentation and into mainstream use. Hopefully Smile

That's my 2 cents Smile
12-04-2008 12:20 PM
realtyroy Offline

I'm not saying he doesn't know HHO but it seems his claims are a little extreme as putting out 8 lpm at anything less than 50 or 60 amps really hasn't been done.
He did say that the $800 price tag was without install.

As far as running a race engine totally with on demand HHO and no gas at all I'm still not sure I believe that one. I would like to see the setup for that.

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
12-04-2008 03:16 PM
umim Offline

He is not totally in it for the money? What in the hell is the purpose of all his
talk? HE,he...
12-04-2008 04:11 PM
Thread Closed