Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Basic Auto electronic question?
Dino Offline

Basic Auto electronic question?
Basic Auto electronic question? I'm not a moron when it comes to cars in fact back in the day when I was into hot rods and Harleys I did a lot of my own work but it was long ago and I never did any wiring work at all. I'm going to hook up my HHO device as soon as I get the time but I'm not sure what the best place to hook the power up to some say the starter switch and some say other things. So if it's the starter switch where on the starter switch does it go and whats the easiest way to get a wire from the engine compartment to the passenger department. I'm 6-3 240 lbs so the less I have to crawl under the dash board in a Toyota Camry the better.

Thanks in advance guysSmile
06-21-2008 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Basic Auto electronic question?
It's best to get the current for your cell directly from the battery, through a 25/30 amp breaker (or fuse) and then through a relay. The relay should be controlled from a dash switch (with LED) powered ideally by the fuel pump relay or via an oil pressure-activated switch (power only when engine is running), but many use the ignition power (not accessory) because it's easy. Tip: If you wire a led across the cell terminals, the led will go out if you blow a fuse.

Battery (+) ---- fuse/breaker ---- relay ---- cell ---- gnd

fuel pump/oil pressure sw/ignition (+) ---- switch ----- relay control ---- gnd

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-21-2008 08:15 PM
skiers4ever Offline

Hi Dino,

My Gen has a relay on it so I ran the wire to it through the firewall inside the cabin. I hooked that wire up to a lighted switch that was hooked up to a fuse circuit that only came on if the ignition was turned on. The unit itself is hooked up to the battery positive with an in-line 30 amp fuse and ground is hooked up to frame.

After everything I've read, you definitely want a relay that's hooked up to a switch that is powered by a circuit that only comes on when the ignition is on. I read about a guy that went to watch a movie and walk the mall and 5 hours later came back to his car and saw that he forgot to turn his Gen off. He thought that the battery would be totally drained. He got in and turned on the ignition on and BOOM! His hood blew up along with his intake manifold and other things. I believe his girlfriend jumped out frightened that his car was going to blow up. Cost him a pretty penny to repair.

Best wishes!
John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-21-2008 08:18 PM
Dino Offline

Thanks Bro, now I just need to find where the fuel pump relay is and hook up to it. This stuff is a giant can of worms for sureSmile.
06-21-2008 08:22 PM
colchiro Offline

John, I think he said he lost the GF too. Laugh

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-21-2008 08:23 PM
Dino Offline

Skier

Which fuse did you hook into? Thanks BroSmile.
06-21-2008 08:24 PM
skiers4ever Offline

colchiro Wrote:John, I think he said he lost the GF too. Laugh

Too funny! I know I would have to clean some undies...

Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-21-2008 08:28 PM
skiers4ever Offline

Dino Wrote:Skier

It was an unused spot in my inside fusebox...got lucky...It was the second to the last one I checked. For a while I thought I wouldn't find one that that only came on with the ignition. I was ready though, I would have used an "Add A Circuit" (NAPA has it) and hooked it up to my radio fuse.

John

Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-21-2008 08:37 PM
Dino Offline

Thanks Bro I appreciate the advice. It's amazing how reading a web page about this stuff a couple of months ago could turn into an expensive time consuming hobbyBig Grin. But I tend to go overboard with everything I do.

skiers4ever Wrote:
Dino Wrote:Skier

It was an unused spot in my inside fusebox...got lucky...It was the second to the last one I checked. For a while I thought I wouldn't find one that that only came on with the ignition. I was ready though, I would have used an "Add A Circuit" (NAPA has it) and hooked it up to my radio fuse.

John
06-21-2008 08:44 PM
colchiro Offline

skiers4ever Wrote:I would have used an "Add A Circuit" (NAPA has it) and hooked it up to my radio fuse.

John

Hmmm.... listen to the radio for 15 minutes, then start the car, boom. That wouldn't be good.Hmm

(Radio is on accessory circuit.)

Rick

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2008 04:36 AM by colchiro.)
06-22-2008 04:35 AM