Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Basic HHO generator question
fastcompacts Offline

Basic HHO generator question
I am new to this HHO production idea and think that the whole idea is awesome. I have made a very basic gen using stainless wire wrapped around some plexiglass. ( after reading many of the threads i have found that this is probably not the most efficent) I will try to upgrade to plates after. My main question is that i have seen many people making these generators out of Ball mason jars (some even have metal lids), I have made one with a metal lid and i ran into a shorting problem (should have seen it coming). How would you set up the positive and negative terminal on the metal lid without it shorting out, are there like plastic sleeve to put around the bolt or what? I also suppose that i could try to swap out the metal lid for a plastic one but i like the metal lid better (seems to have a much tighter seal). I may have to break down and switch to plastic if i cant find a way to stop it from shorting across the lid. Any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2009 08:19 PM by fastcompacts.)
03-20-2009 08:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Basic HHO generator question
It's the sparking and shorting so common with SS wire (and the glass container) that makes these generators so dangerous. Too much current, the wire turns red hot, melts the plexiglass and shorts out.... boom.... caustic solution and sharp glass all over everything. Hopefully you aren't in the area when that happens. Just getting electrolyte on my fan belts and having to listen to them squeak for months give me a shudder. The $200 to replace all of them would easily buy you a good cell.

Best to leave the glass jars and SS wire for the science fair project and check out dry cells (search will find a bunch).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-21-2009 06:37 AM
thomasbala Offline

(03-20-2009 08:18 PM)fastcompacts Wrote:  I am new to this HHO production idea and think that the whole idea is awesome. I have made a very basic gen using stainless wire wrapped around some plexiglass. ( after reading many of the threads i have found that this is probably not the most efficent) I will try to upgrade to plates after. My main question is that i have seen many people making these generators out of Ball mason jars (some even have metal lids), I have made one with a metal lid and i ran into a shorting problem (should have seen it coming). How would you set up the positive and negative terminal on the metal lid without it shorting out, are there like plastic sleeve to put around the bolt or what? I also suppose that i could try to swap out the metal lid for a plastic one but i like the metal lid better (seems to have a much tighter seal). I may have to break down and switch to plastic if i cant find a way to stop it from shorting across the lid. Any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance Big Grin
Welcome to the forum. Rick, as usual is 110% right. Reduce the attached .pdf picture to 25% to see the damage done in seconds when my last SS wire wound on plexiglass blew up. Worst of all it happened while I was stuck in rush hour traffic. Since the price of fuel is down I've noticed the price of what look like decent dry cells on e-bay go down. I've found that if you want a good deal on e-bay low ball your bid on holiday weekends. Last Labor Day weekend I got a $179.00 dry cell for $125.00 because no one else was bidding; they were out picnicing, boating, etc. Keep us informed with your progress. If you run into problems there's most likely someone on this board who has seen the same thing and can help.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  SS Wire Gen fire.pdf (Size: 39.05 KB / Downloads: 57)
03-21-2009 11:38 AM
fastcompacts Offline

Cool RE: Basic HHO generator question
Thanks for the info on the "dry cells" i guess im still a little confused as to the entire system. What other components are involved in a dry system beside the cell. I am assuming the usual bubblers and the such, but is there a way that the electrolyte mixture circulates through? Also since the "coiled Wire" is crap, are the plate systems like that shown in the smack booster even worth the effort to make or should i just save up for a dry cell? What if any is the difference in reliablity, gas production and mantainence between the plate system(like in smack booster) vs. a dry cell. Thanks for all the help so far. Also i have been cruising around the forums and seeing a LOT of cool info. Cool
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2009 12:29 PM by fastcompacts.)
03-21-2009 12:28 PM
colchiro Offline

(03-21-2009 11:38 AM)thomasbala Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. Rick, as usual is 110% right.

Thanks, normally I'm closer to 80%. Blush

Since dry cells are "dry" you'll need a reservoir, which usually doubles as a bubbler. Water flows down into your dry cell and hho bubbles up, thru the reservoir and off to do it's thing.

I believe Smacks also has a dry cell. Haven't been there for awhile now. http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-21-2009 12:55 PM
fastcompacts Offline

I guess i can understand that the resevoir doubles as a bubbler, but im still a little lost as to how the electrolyte gets to the cell.... Is it just gravity fed in which the cell has to be lower than the resevoir, in which only a small amount of electrolyte is in the cell until it completely evaporates? I guess it would be just easier for me to try to find a breakdown of how a dry cell works. If anyone could link me up with some more info I would greatly appriciate it. Smile
03-21-2009 03:07 PM
colchiro Offline

Exactly, electrolyte gravity feeds to the bottom of your cell and the hho comes off the top and helps the pumping of electrolyte. Except for about approximately 10-20% gas in the top, the cell stays full.

Rick

03-21-2009 06:21 PM
fastcompacts Offline

What would be a recomendation for a size for the cell? Does engine size matter when looking at the cell size? What other variables should I consider while looking for a cell? If there is already a post about this could i get the link to it. THanks again.Laugh
03-23-2009 05:27 AM
ptours99 Offline

(03-21-2009 03:07 PM)fastcompacts Wrote:  I guess i can understand that the resevoir doubles as a bubbler, but im still a little lost as to how the electrolyte gets to the cell.... Is it just gravity fed in which the cell has to be lower than the resevoir, in which only a small amount of electrolyte is in the cell until it completely evaporates? I guess it would be just easier for me to try to find a breakdown of how a dry cell works. If anyone could link me up with some more info I would greatly appriciate it. Smile

it seems hard to figure this out but it does by thermo migration.read dry cell thread and go to smacks site that rick gave you he has a hole line of vids for you to see.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
03-23-2009 12:41 PM
colchiro Offline

304 SS is the minimum spec, but it's much better to watch for 316L stainless since it'll last a lot longer.

According to Bob Boyce, you'll want about 1 LPM per liter of engine displacement, but many here will suggest you might want a little wiggle room there since many cells don't always perform as well as advertised.

Rick

03-23-2009 04:53 PM