Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bench Trials
cheapfuel Offline

Bench Trials
I am testing an oxy-hydrogen generator that I have built. As a matter of of fact I have tried some different variations. The last one that seems to work fairly has four 1/8 inch stainless steel plates about 2.5 inches in diameter space 1/4 inch apart. I am using approximateley 1/2 teaspoon of NaOH per liter of distilled water. The system starts producing HHO gas when cold at about 300 ml/min and draws about 25 amps. After about 20 minutes after it warms up it draws a little over 30 amps and produces about 480 ml/min of HHO. Does this sound reasonable to you? The generator does not get hot; just warm to the touch. I take my showers warmer than this unit gets. When I tried 6 plates the results where not any better. For some reason the 6 plate system shorted and blew my 30 amp fuse. I took it apart to get plate of the system and when tested the remaining system I did not find any shorts. Have aof the plates had a slight orange colour (At the moment I don't which side it was). I might keep this setup and mix but yhe fuse holder got a little hot and after a while would have blown. Will need to get a 40 amp in line fuse holder and fuse. The wires 12 gauge wire was not hot. I am wondering if this would be enough HHO with an EFIE for my 5.7 liter engine. Any ideas? anyone?
06-29-2008 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

RE: Bench Trials
I think your pulling way too much amperage, when doing these cells we wanna stay around 10 amps so we dont put alot of drag on the engine, now yours being a v8 I think it could handle a LITTLE more but i would go too much, better designs yeild better output at lower amperage, a certain design, i am unsure of which, i forgot, got 1.2lpm at 9 amps. for your v8 I'd say you want at least 1lpm at no more than 15 amps hot.
06-29-2008 02:18 PM
cheapfuel Offline

Yes, I didn't like the amperage either. I am wondering how I can improve on the system I have. I could try cutting down on the NaOH concentration. I know that will bring the amperage down. What it will do to the NaOH production is another question. One thing I have in mind is to then put another cell in parllel with this and bring the amperage up again with maybe get a higher yield of HHO. I do want to stay in the 12 volt system though. I am wondering what my voltage demand would be if connected the two in series? First things first. I will reduce the NaOH concentration and see what happens.
06-29-2008 02:49 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

well i am assuming you have an open bath design so connecting 2 in series would be the best way to go, you only need like 1.5 volts to make the HHO, most try to keep it around 2 volts per cell, this reduces heat too.
06-29-2008 02:55 PM
cheapfuel Offline

Actually, mine is a closed system and I cannot adjust it except externally. And it cost money each time I build one of these units. The best I can do is take it apart and then make some changes or salvage some parts. I just now deluted the NaOH concentration by draining some out and adding water. I got the amperage to 15 amps, but the HHO production dropped to 250 ml/min. I am not sure what my next move is going to be. I have the parts to build another unit with 4 pates or even 6 plates. I did have a 6 plate set up and iit drew 30 amps, but the production was no better. Some how it shorted out so I salvaged the parts. When I had the plates 1/2 inch apart I got no HHO at all.
06-29-2008 03:31 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

can you take a pic of your generator and post it?
06-29-2008 04:03 PM
cheapfuel Offline

I don't know how to do that unless I send as an attachment or insert to a specific email address. Anyway, I was thinking that if I build another unit like the one I have and connect them in series then the amperage will be the same for each one. What I am not sure of because I did not measure the voltage of the system when I had it connected. How would the voltage change. If I connect two in series can I still use my 12 volt system and what 3 of them. 3 of them would give me a 3 x 250 = 750 ml/min at 15 amps. I suppose I could go to 20 amps. There would be no problem with the alternator handling that. Maybe then I would get 1000 ml/min. But what my voltage be???? Can the 12 volt system handle that????
06-29-2008 04:22 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

it all depends on your design i cant say for sure it will work without a better description or a picture of your generator, we try to aim for 2 volts per cell, if you have 7 cells wired in series it should get that being that a cars charging system put out right at 14 volts.

Your saying you have 4 plates, now if the water separating those plates is completely isolated and sealed from the water in between the other plates you have 3 cells, so 2 wired in series of your design would be 6 cells and you would be ok at the 12 or 14 volts.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2008 05:49 PM by tjh566.)
06-29-2008 05:48 PM
cheapfuel Offline

I have been thinking about this. The way my plates connect now is that each plate alternates with contact to anode and cathode. For example plate 1 contacts with anode and open to cathode. The revrese of this plate 2. Plate 3 is same as plate 1 and plate 4 is same as plate 2. Plates are stacked 1/4 inch apart. Where the plate makes no contact with an anode or cathode a rubber grommet insulates as the rod passes through the hole. (each plate has 2 holes. ...one contact hole and one insulated hole. So at the connecting terminals it does not matter which is used as the anode and which is used as the cathode as they are basically the same. There is of course no continuity between cathode and anode except through the electrolyte. The whole system is in an air tightly sealed container except for the HHO outlet and removal filler and drain plugs. This is the 4 plate system that produces 480 ml/min at 30 amps and 250 ml/min at 15 amps. Now the big question is this. If I make another unit like this how would I connect them to stay at low amperage and still be OK for a 12 volt system. I would like to work along these lines instead to building a totally different system. Any ideas?
06-29-2008 06:02 PM