Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boom! I definitely need a bubbler.
stevekos7 Offline

Boom! I definitely need a bubbler.
I tried my first test of my inline spark arrestor tonight. I got an inline filter for a drip irrigation line, got some stainless steel scrub pads and pushed as many in as I could and fitted it in my hose, and then tested the flash. Not much to say other than the little pool of electrolyte collecting on the floor of my garage wasn't there before the test. I blew the bottom off the PVC pipe setup I used for my generator, and scared some dogs in the neighbourhood at the same time. Now back to the bench to build a bubbler. I didn't have one built before testing the flash arrestor. Should have done that first. Silly me! Any other ideas for a flash arrestor design? I have heard that fine bronze wool works ok. I'll have to get some.
07-15-2008 03:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
visek Offline

RE: Boom! I definitely need a bubbler.
The water4gas cells don't use a bubbler...just a one way valve. I am in the process of getting set up with one of these and bought some ss wool to make a flash arrestor.

Can you give some dimensions for your flash arrestor?

ss wool is not the same as ss pads???

stevekos7 Wrote:I tried my first test of my inline spark arrestor tonight. I got an inline filter for a drip irrigation line, got some stainless steel scrub pads and pushed as many in as I could and fitted it in my hose, and then tested the flash. Not much to say other than the little pool of electrolyte collecting on the floor of my garage wasn't there before the test. I blew the bottom off the PVC pipe setup I used for my generator, and scared some dogs in the neighbourhood at the same time. Now back to the bench to build a bubbler. I didn't have one built before testing the flash arrestor. Should have done that first. Silly me! Any other ideas for a flash arrestor design? I have heard that fine bronze wool works ok. I'll have to get some.
07-15-2008 06:31 PM
stevekos7 Offline

visek Wrote:The water4gas cells don't use a bubbler...just a one way valve. I am in the process of getting set up with one of these and bought some ss wool to make a flash arrestor.

Can you give some dimensions for your flash arrestor?

ss wool is not the same as ss pads???

My spark arrestor didn't work, but I think it is because I didn't use fine enough SS wool. Yes, scrub pads are coarser than SS wool.

The spark arrestor I used is pvc plastic as used in drip irrigation systems. It comes with a filter insert that I just threw away because it is just fine mesh plastic which will not be good enough for our use. The unit itself is about 7" long by 1" wide, has a screw on end cap and both ends have a barbed push-on fitting to suit 8mm hose. The design will be ideal, it's just what I fill it with that is going to be the main issue. I'll try to buy some fine SS or bronze wool and try it again.
07-15-2008 09:00 PM
cheapfuel Offline

I am not going to use a flash back arrestor. Many of them require pressure to push through, the ones welders use for example. I don't want that. I understand that the automotive sales have some forms of arrestors that do not require pressure to push through. I don't really trust these kind of devices anyway. I will be using two bubblers in series. My system does not produce HHO under pressure and it is not fed into a PVC valve or any other place where there is heavy suction. It is fed into the air-intake at the throttle body just after the air filter. I can certainly control the suction there, I think. Just need to know how deep into the body I will insert the hose. I want just light suction...just like the air that flows through the filter. I don't think the suction here will be so strong as to suck any fluids from my system, I hope. Anyone had any experience in this area?
07-15-2008 09:15 PM
stevekos7 Offline

I wanted to try the flash arrestor more as a backup safety feature. I think the bubbler should be fine on it's own though. I will wait until I have the unit installed before I finally decide what to do.
07-16-2008 01:48 AM
visek Offline

I THINK a flash arrestor works by using a fine wool which slows the flame front and absorbs heat from it....stopping the process.

I did put an old aquarium one way valve between the cells and the bubbler and now have the air flow turned down enough to have a decent idle and no backflow. Still have too vigorous bubbling action in the bubbler water...so will be putting an aquarium stone on the down tube...and turning the air intake down some more.

Eventually will use the better quality check valve and a flash arrestor....less fluid to freeze in the winter.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2008 02:34 AM by visek.)
07-16-2008 02:11 AM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

Ive heard that flash arrestors don't work due the the extremely high burn speed of HHO, not sure if there is any truth to this.

the only real way to do it is a bubble and a one-way check valve for extra saftey
07-16-2008 01:35 PM
toolmanmike Offline

Cheap flash arrestor- It works!

Take a cheap bic pen and pull it apart. Cut it in half and stuff it with medium grit scotch guard pad pieces cut in long thin strips. Not too tightly packed but fill up the 1/2 pen. If you are using 1/4" ID or 3/16 " hose, the pen will fit right into the line. I use this as a SECONDARY protection with my bubblers and I have tested it on the bench many many times. Works well. HOWEVER, if your unit is producing very high quantities of HHO. (over 1 LPM) you may need two or something bigger. No back pressure, not flow restriction, works good and doesn't rust.
good luck.
toolmanmike
07-16-2008 02:06 PM
stevekos7 Offline

toolmanmike Wrote:Cheap flash arrestor- It works!

Take a cheap bic pen and pull it apart. Cut it in half and stuff it with medium grit scotch guard pad pieces cut in long thin strips. Not too tightly packed but fill up the 1/2 pen. If you are using 1/4" ID or 3/16 " hose, the pen will fit right into the line. I use this as a SECONDARY protection with my bubblers and I have tested it on the bench many many times. Works well. HOWEVER, if your unit is producing very high quantities of HHO. (over 1 LPM) you may need two or something bigger. No back pressure, not flow restriction, works good and doesn't rust.
good luck.
toolmanmike

I already have my flash arrestor body so I will keep that, but the scotchbrite pad idea sounds good. I'll give that a try.
07-16-2008 03:54 PM
Gary Offline

I thought a bubbler was the ultimate flash arrestor for HHO?
07-16-2008 06:46 PM