Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bubbler
midnight1957 Offline

Bubbler
I am going to install a dry cell and use a bubbler, here are a few questions that I have.

1. How much higher should the bubbler be above the cell?

2. I am going to use the bubbler as a resivoir also so is this the correct way to run my tubing? the output from the cell will go into the bottom of the bubbler. The inlet to the cell from the bubbler will go into the bubbler on the side, what level will the liquid in the bubbler need to be? The line from the top of the bubbler will go to the vehicle.
I would draw a picture but I don't know how, does anyone have a drawing that you can put on here?

3. Should I put the KOH in the cell only, won't it get into the bubbler over time?

4. With this setup what is the farthest the cell can be from the bubbler and the hho still get to the inlet of the vehicle.

Maybe you can understand what I am trying to do and any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
Wade
10-22-2008 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Bubbler
First of all, what is a dry cell. I keep hearing people mention them, but have so far not seen one. Do you have a link to the site that makes/sells these? I want to see one.

Regardless, I can't actually help you from this verbal description. I can't picture your setup from a narrative. A diagram would help a lot.

As to whether you need electrolyte in your bubbler/reservoir, that will depend on how you have it set up and the electrolyte you use. If you use KOH or NaOH, then you don't need to have additional electrolyte in the bubbler. But you do need to have distilled water in there, and you need a way to get the water from the bubbler into the electrolyzer when it needs more water. The reason you don't need the electrolyte in the bubbler is that the electrolyte stays, as the water evaporates away. When you add water again, your electrolyte concentration will still be the same.

Also, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about how far an electrolyzer and bubbler can be from the engine. I've heard of people putting rigs in their trunk. Personally I try to get as close as possible to the intake with everything.

Check out this link: http://hybridgen.com/index.php?option=co...Itemid=108

This is an example of a reservoir and bubbler working together. In this case the reservoir must be higher than the electrolyzer. But this is a workable way of doing it.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
10-23-2008 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmac0351 Offline

Mike, they are all over youtube, ebay, and other places. A very nice looking one is at http://www.fireinthewater.com/index_files/Page820.htm

The one I built was very easy to make and works like a dream compared to the smack unit I was working on.

mike Wrote:First of all, what is a dry cell. I keep hearing people mention them, but have so far not seen one. Do you have a link to the site that makes/sells these? I want to see one.

Regardless, I can't actually help you from this verbal description. I can't picture your setup from a narrative. A diagram would help a lot.

As to whether you need electrolyte in your bubbler/reservoir, that will depend on how you have it set up and the electrolyte you use. If you use KOH or NaOH, then you don't need to have additional electrolyte in the bubbler. But you do need to have distilled water in there, and you need a way to get the water from the bubbler into the electrolyzer when it needs more water. The reason you don't need the electrolyte in the bubbler is that the electrolyte stays, as the water evaporates away. When you add water again, your electrolyte concentration will still be the same.

Also, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about how far an electrolyzer and bubbler can be from the engine. I've heard of people putting rigs in their trunk. Personally I try to get as close as possible to the intake with everything.

Check out this link: http://hybridgen.com/index.php?option=co...Itemid=108

This is an example of a reservoir and bubbler working together. In this case the reservoir must be higher than the electrolyzer. But this is a workable way of doing it.
10-23-2008 11:37 AM
mike Offline

Oh, OK. Thank you. Yes, I've seen this design for some time now. I just didn't know they were called dry cells, and never could find a link to tell me the definition.

OK, I can answer some of your questions better now.

I believe you just have to have the bubbler's water level higher than the top of your cell, and more is better. That should do it. The gas will certainly find it's way out. But if the top of the cell is higher than the water level, the water won't be forced in to the cell, and the level will drop, covering less of the plates. You can do a little trial and error testing on this point, but note that you want to test with the reservoir almost empty to make sure it works at low water levels.

As to electrolyte, it must have the same concentration as what's in the cell. The water in that set up will circulate back and forth between bubbler/reservoir and cell. So you can't just put distilled water in the reservoir without diluting the electrolyte.

I already answered your other questions. Please let us know how this setup works for you.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
10-31-2008 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gtkco Offline

mike Wrote:As to electrolyte, it must have the same concentration as what's in the cell. The water in that set up will circulate back and forth between bubbler/reservoir and cell. So you can't just put distilled water in the reservoir without diluting the electrolyte.

I think we need a little more clearification. On your "first" fill up of a "fully saturated-reservoir supplied" system you use your electrolyte mixture for both the generator and the reservoir. After that, you only add distilled water. If you keep adding electrolye there after you will be increasing the concentration. I think this is right.
BTW Mike, thats a nice pictorial link!
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2008 03:35 PM by gtkco.)
10-31-2008 03:31 PM