Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I use this elctrolyte ?
Eagermaster Offline

Can I use this elctrolyte ?
Hi, anyone ever try out using battery water as electrolyte . Can it works ?
12-02-2008 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Can I use this elctrolyte ?
Battery water? You mean automotive lead-acid batteries? That would be sulfuric acid. Probably best to stay away from it.

To put it in perspective, KOh on your skin give you dry skin and I've never had a stain on my shoes or clothes.

H2SO4 will eat holes in your clothes and give you nasty burns requiring treatment if exposed for more than a few seconds. It also eats up metal so you wouldn't want it to get in your engine.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-02-2008 08:19 PM
Eagermaster Offline

colchiro Wrote:Battery water? You mean automotive lead-acid batteries? That would be sulfuric acid. Probably best to stay away from it.

To put it in perspective, KOh on your skin give you dry skin and I've never had a stain on my shoes or clothes.

H2SO4 will eat holes in your clothes and give you nasty burns requiring treatment if exposed for more than a few seconds. It also eats up metal so you wouldn't want it to get in your engine.

So.. with your experience, what is the best electrolyte so far that you've tested and any idea what the the best ratio of mixing ? Thankx
12-02-2008 08:58 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

Eagermaster Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:Battery water? You mean automotive lead-acid batteries? That would be sulfuric acid. Probably best to stay away from it.

So.. with your experience, what is the best electrolyte so far that you've tested and any idea what the the best ratio of mixing ? Thankx
I use 1 part distilled white vinegar (acetic acid) to 3 parts distilled water. This is safer than KOH or NaOH which will painlessly remove your skin if concentrated enough. You don't even know the damage is done until your skin turns white and sloughs off. Not pretty! That is why Drano directions tell you to wear gloves and eye protection when using it.
Jeep Girl
12-19-2008 04:51 PM