Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Check Engine Light
Kansasjack1 Offline

Check Engine Light
I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 FI Flex Fuel engine.
I purchased a dual EFIE unit to asist the hydrogen unit that was previously installed. We have the readings adjusted at .185 volts for each O2 sensor since it is a dual EFIE unit. The EFIE seems to be working perfectly except for the fact it keeps throwing the check engine light. The check engine light has come on at readings of .200 and .225 also. Other than that I am getting better gas mileage when it is working properly.

Need answers,

Bob
05-01-2008 02:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Check Engine Light
Heck man, I don't know. Don't you have a separate computer to run your injectors with that flex fuel set up? I don't have any experience with them. You might PM Cochiro. He has an E85 rig, and is using EFIEs. I'm not sure what he had to do to get them working with his system.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-01-2008 09:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Hi Bob. What code are you getting? Is it a lean code?

You say "better mileage", when you're not getting a CEL, I assume?

Mike I don't see any mention of Bob using E85, just that he has a FFV, which I assume is factory. My EFIE didn't work with my air/fuel sensor, so it's sitting on the shelf for now.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-02-2008 07:45 PM
Kansasjack1 Offline

mike Wrote:Heck man, I don't know. Don't you have a separate computer to run your injectors with that flex fuel set up? I don't have any experience with them. You might PM Cochiro. He has an E85 rig, and is using EFIEs. I'm not sure what he had to do to get them working with his system.
05-03-2008 02:04 AM
Kansasjack1 Offline

Here's the deal, before I started with this Hydrogen unit and installing the EFIE I had already installed a K-N Air Filter, a Tornado device and an ecotec. I'm not sure you understand what these devices do but I will try to explain.
The K-N air filter allows an additional 30% air flow to enter the engine to breath better. The Tornado is a device that fits in the air cleaner tube between the air filter and the engine manifold which creats a vortex on the air which helps break up the fuel molecules before they reach combustion. This increased my gains on my 1999 Ford Expedition by 2.5 mpg. And finally I installed an Ecotec into the brake booster line which is a valve giving the truck an additional 10% air to help increase the burn.
Perhaps the problem I am having with the check engine light coming on, is the system is too lean and the EFIE cannot be adjusted enough to compensate for the problem. What do you think? Should I remove some of theses devices? When I had all of these devices working in my 1999 Ford Expedition, I could travel one way to Miami from Orlando 225 miles on an 1/8 of a tank. But for some reason on my 2007 Tahoe my results are not the same. When I had the check engine light diagnosed by a scanner, it read location O2 sensor 2 bank 1 which is the left rear sensor post catalytic. All it read was that there was fuel problem. Currently I am not using E-85 because it is not available in my area, nor would I use it. The only gas that I am using right now is E-15. As far as I know the only onboard computer that runs the Flex-Fuel option, is the same one that operates everthing else, which is the ECM.
Well that's the lowdown on everthing.

Tell me what you think,
Bob
05-03-2008 02:45 AM
colchiro Offline

Hi Bob.
The Vortex is well known to do nothing, but it doesn't hurt anything so lets rule that out as a problem.

The Ecotec is a vacuum leak intended to lean out the mix so I'd disconnect that and see if the CEL goes away. You might want to turn off the HHO and get a new baseline mileage without it. I think it's going to compete with the hho so if this fixes the CEL, I'd forget about it for now. The EFIE will give you better control.

Mike was referring to an add-on to allow you to use E85, which I have since my Rav4 wasn't a FFV from the factory. You don't have one.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-03-2008 06:54 AM
mike Offline

Thanks for the clarification Colchiro.

I've never heard of a post cat sensor warning. The purpose of the sensor is to tell you when the cat is no longer cleaning up the exhaust sufficiently and needs to be replaced. But you're getting a "fuel problem". I'm not sure what that's telling us. But I agree with colchiro. Cut your mods back and then start adding them back in one at a time.

You're probably dealing with a computer that was programmed more tightly than the early engine you worked on. You may also have to delve a bit deeper into sensor mods as per http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2009 10:48 AM by mike.)
05-03-2008 09:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kansasjack1 Offline

Hey Colchiro,
This problem I am having with the check engine light, only seemed to occur after we installed the EFIE device and started tuning it. Prior to this, with all the devices I was using, never did I have a problem with the check engine light coming on. So I'm not sure that this is the source of the problem. But it could be true that the ecotec is conflicting with the HHO since they are both bringing in additional air into the system at least that's what the ECM thinks.

Bob
05-03-2008 10:21 AM
colchiro Offline

The EFIE is leaning the mix and the Ecotec is adding extra air, doing the same thing. Personally, I'd use the EFIE since it's going to work with the ECM better, where the Ecotec depends on engine vacuum.

Rick

05-03-2008 12:31 PM
Kansasjack1 Offline

Rick,

If I kill the ecoteck and use the EFIE only, what should I set the voltage? At .100, .125, .150? The higher I go seems to be worse gas mileage. One other question I have, Is there anything on the market you know of that will improve your gas mileage while the vehicle is at an idle? Say in traffic or at a light?

Thanks,
Bob
05-03-2008 12:51 PM