Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Check engine light
hahncho Offline

Check engine light
My vehicle is fuel injected and has four sensors. I am using the Water4Gas HHO electrolizer.
I bought the dual EFIE and had it installed before activating the HHO.
The installers spliced the signal wires after testing the wires in the harness. The controller was set at around 300 milivolts and everything seems to be as expected. On the way home from the install, the "check engine light" came on. I called Onstar to get the code, and was told that the exhaust air reading was "out of spec". I have now lowered the setting on the EFIE to around 198 milivolts and need to know how to reset the "check engine light" to see if problem is gone.
I disconnected the battery thinking that would do it but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Hahncho
05-26-2008 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Glennjr Offline

RE: Check engine light
Hahnco,
Sounds like they gave you a generic code definition. Probably need to have the ECM code cleared with a scan tool. I'm not sure if Auto Zone's scanner has the ability to reset ECM if not you'll have to see your friendly repair shop Tech. Did the light not go out at all ?? What was the code number or didn't they share that with you ??
Glenn Jr.
05-26-2008 05:59 PM
HerronPerformance Offline

Why not pull the battery or PCM fuse to reset the computer?

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-26-2008 06:14 PM
Glennjr Offline

I think he already did. Some of those codes require to be reset by Scan tool. Welcome to the wonderful world of OBD II. Big brother loking out for us !!!
05-26-2008 06:16 PM
Glennjr Offline

Also he needs to know exact definition of code. Too rich or too lean, so he knows where to go next. Until then it is only a guess.
Glenn Jr.
05-26-2008 06:19 PM

Might have to leave it unplugged for a little while and depending on the system it might reset, just depends...
and I am a fan of the OBDII computers, alot more robust and can be tuned on the GM side alot better than the OBDI stuff.
*I tune GM computers and normally trying to eek out the most HP and TQ but now with fuel cost so high getting alot of MPG tuning stuff....nice to have the GM platform where you can tell it what the O2s should read at stoich....yes, you tell it in the VCM that it should read 350ish rather than 450ish and that alone picks up 12% in better MPG....just like what guys on here are doing....just in a different way....
Glennjr Wrote:I think he already did. Some of those codes require to be reset by Scan tool. Welcome to the wonderful world of OBD II. Big brother loking out for us !!!

05-26-2008 06:23 PM

This seems to be a common thread on here...
"just turn the knob till the car runs rough and then turn it back a little bit...."
Glennjr Wrote:Also he needs to know exact definition of code. Too rich or too lean, so he knows where to go next. Until then it is only a guess.
Glenn Jr.

05-26-2008 06:27 PM
Glennjr Offline

Maybe leaving power of for a longer time may work, but he still has to know was it lean or rich. I agree OBD II is great for diagnostics, but for what we are trying to accomplish it is a pain !! What are the limitations to the Air to fuel ratio that you can set ?? I can't believe the EPA hasn't required the manufactures to limit it.
Glenn Jr.
05-26-2008 06:32 PM

There is plenty of tables to really mess up a nice running car/truck in the GM platforms.
The MAF table is adjustable.
Timing tables
Fuel injector contants
O2 readings
Torque Management
PE tables and when they are activated
Trans tables, set the shift point where you want it and when lock up takes place.
Stoich can actually be set, ie 14.7 is the basis but if you want it to be something else, you can command it.....that is a very important number!!!!
OL tables are changeable

the list is LONG!!!!

That's the thing, all the GM platforms have this option and for less than the EFIE parts they are buying everywhere all this can be handled in the VCM and will not affect WOT driving or more spirited driving...now this is not the case with other platforms that I am award of....the code has not been cracked and an editor been produced...
Glennjr Wrote:Maybe leaving power of for a longer time may work, but he still has to know was it lean or rich. I agree OBD II is great for diagnostics, but for what we are trying to accomplish it is a pain !! What are the limitations to the Air to fuel ratio that you can set ?? I can't believe the EPA hasn't required the manufactures to limit it.
Glenn Jr.

05-26-2008 06:38 PM
Glennjr Offline

I have to presume this editor you are referring to is not the run of the mill ie: what Modis, Genysis, etc; use ??
Glenn Jr.
05-26-2008 06:43 PM