Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Check valves
Atfab Offline

Question Check valves
I need a source of check valves. I have also read that a bubbler is all you need.

Any ideas about all this. I ask becaues I blew up my test cell last week.Shocked nothing serious but I got the neighborhood's attention. I'm still trying to figure that all out but I know better and my last configuration was making some high quality gas, if not much.

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
06-18-2008 01:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dino Offline

RE: Check valves
How did it blow?? You can find cheap check valves at fish pet stores but I heard you can get them in brass but I'm not sure where. Why don't you install a bubbler?
06-18-2008 05:52 AM
scott kitzman Offline

I found them at McMaster-Carr, I used 1/4 barb x 1/4 barb pt # 6079T53, so far working good, $3.68 ea
06-18-2008 06:50 AM
aquaman Offline

I use a blue Brady valve. They work great. You can find them on the web, or at large Ace hardware stores. The key to a good check valve for our purposes is to see how strong the spring is. you don't want it strong, you want it to open effortlessly, and the Brady does. I will check out McMaster Carr. $3.68 is a lot better than $11-12 for the Brady.
06-18-2008 06:10 PM
Dino Offline

Thanks for the McMaster lead, I will be getting a fewSmile.
06-18-2008 07:49 PM
Atfab Offline

Thanks, guys. I'm still not positive on the how but the setup was my current reconfig of the plates is + n n n n n n -. the plates are 7.5" by 2". Spacing is 1/16" Power by a good car battery and an "automatic" charger set for 2 amp charge but it will raise the amps if needed. This supplys 12.4 to 13.9v all day long with a 15 amp draw.
This was to attempt to limit heat gain and get better start up production with out high heat later. Just under a gallon of distilled water with KOH. My tupperware container is(was) tall and wide but about 3.5" deep, holds over a gallon total, so there was about a half quart air space above my water level. Output hose 6 feet, 1/4" ID to a cooler designed to hold 3, 2 liter soda bottles, filled to about 2" from the top, the hose was held about 6" below the water and NO CHECK VALVES OR BUBBLER. Warm day so the start temp was 80 deg F, with ambient temp of 85. I added KOH to get 5 amps. Low volume of gas and hard to ignite bubbles. An hour later, 12 amps, 86 deg. good volume of gas that snap loudly. A steady stream of nickle sized bubbles about 1 to 1.5" apart. Wind is picking up very quickly as a storm is blowing in fast. I decide to do a volume test but try to light off a few more bubbles. I wave the propane torch at where the bubbles are and BAM, sounds like a .308 carbine. What I think happened, is the quality of gas was very good. Because of the wind I held the torch almost vertical toward the bubble stream. The first bubble blew a hole in the water, fired off the next bubble and it chain reactioned to the hose and the rest is now neighborhood legend. I base this on the cooler water level being about 3" lower afterwards. It was way to windy for any gas to accumulate in the cooler. I could find no evidence of a loose connection in the cell itself and the plates are 1/16" thick and still solidly in place. All my wires are 10 gauge or better with ends crimped on with a professional grade crimper I use at work. No damage to the hose. I found small pieces of tupperware 30 feet away and the "dial on a stick" thermometer that was duct taped to the side of the container had the dial bent over about 45 deg. It was about 12 feet away

atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
06-18-2008 10:14 PM