Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chevy Truck hates hydrogen (kind of expected)
Thumbpicker Offline

Cool Chevy Truck hates hydrogen (kind of expected)
Tried actually installing a 4 Switch plate cell in my 2002 Chevy 1/2 ton yesterday.I originally had in mind a setup for my motorcycle but decided why not get into the truck to do my 'experiments' on as there was more room etc.
Gas powered V-8, Switch plates arranged as +nn-. adjusted output with baking soda.

Ran a 50 mile test course mostly highway without any modifications to the vehicle. Results 22.3 mpg. Just to establish some type of baseline.
Ran booster on second trip same course and came up with with about a half liter per minute of hydrogen gas out put and an mpg of 20.7.
Kicked up hydrogen output to just over a liter per minute and ran the same course again. Mpg dropped to 19.1.

Guess it's on to the sensor mods next.
Is there any point in trying the Oxygen sensor foil trick or extenders before going to an EFIE ?
Or do I just jump on board the Efie straight away?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Thumb
06-29-2008 03:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HHOe Offline

RE: Chevy Truck hates hydrogen (kind of expected)
Thumbpicker Wrote:Tried actually installing a 4 Switch plate cell in my 2002 Chevy 1/2 ton yesterday.I originally had in mind a setup for my motorcycle but decided why not get into the truck to do my 'experiments' on as there was more room etc.
Gas powered V-8, Switch plates arranged as +nn-. adjusted output with baking soda.

Ran a 50 mile test course mostly highway without any modifications to the vehicle. Results 22.3 mpg. Just to establish some type of baseline.
Ran booster on second trip same course and came up with with about a half liter per minute of hydrogen gas out put and an mpg of 20.7.
Kicked up hydrogen output to just over a liter per minute and ran the same course again. Mpg dropped to 19.1.

Guess it's on to the sensor mods next.
Is there any point in trying the Oxygen sensor foil trick or extenders before going to an EFIE ?
Or do I just jump on board the Efie straight away?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Thumb

I would say it depends how deep into this you want to go. First, you may want to change your electrolyte from baking soday to lye (NaOh). I was very hesitant using lye because it is so caustic. You can get 100% lye from Ace Hardware in the plumbing section. Be sure to clean your cell before you change your electrolyte. I've changed over to lye and I will never go back. Been running cells for over a week and the water is still clear. It also runs a little cooler.

Now for The EFIE, I would say go for it. I'm sure you might be going for it anyway.

Good Luck!!

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-29-2008 06:08 AM
HHOe Offline

Also, you may want to look into the s10 forum. its not just s10's and there are some guy doing HHO.

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-29-2008 06:10 AM
colchiro Offline

Why don't you make a second cell and connect them in series?

+12v ---- (+nn-) ---- (+nn-) --- gnd

It'll run more efficiently and you probably need the extra hho with a v8 anyway.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-29-2008 06:23 AM
steelerfan89 Offline

Sounds like your on track. You have good HHO production. The drop in MPG is actually proof positive that your system is working as it should. Your O2 sensors have detected the extra o2 and now your computer is adding more gasoline. You need to shut your o2 senors up.

SO, Yes, you need the mods.
The O2 is the first one I would try. Since your going to wait two weeks on an EFIE after you order it, go ahead and try the foil. Odds are that if the foil doesnt work then either will the extenders.

Once you get the EFIE installed you should be able to do something. If not then its MAP sensor or MAF sensor time.

Good luck and stay patient. There are one or two more mods you can do to get significant gains too...

PCV jar (PCV enhancer) You can make a simple one by picking up a small in-line water filter or by using a fuel filter off the shelf at the auto parts store. Simply empty out the filter and put in something like steel wool or marbles so vapor has something to condense on. You can get 5-10% depending on how bad of shape your engine is in. (worse off the engine the better the improvement).

Fuel heater. The guys at water4gas have a simple but effective one and it brings you another 5%. They reroute the fuel line to metal fittings that are wrapped up on the radiator hose...thus heating the fuel.

PS...
What is the distance between your plates? How much baking soda?
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2008 07:08 AM by steelerfan89.)
06-29-2008 07:05 AM
HerronPerformance Offline

keep this updated, so I am subbing with this reply.

http://www.herronperformance.com
06-29-2008 09:28 AM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

What amperage are you running to achieve those output numbers?
06-29-2008 09:58 AM
Thumbpicker Offline

tjh566,
The Amperage has been all over the place as I added baking soda rather freely. It never exceeded 30 amps as the circuit breaker I was using never tripped.

steelerfan89,
The configuration and distances between the plates were running around a quarter inch between all with plates arranged as +nn-. Good tip on the fuel heater idea. It sounds right to me. Gaining a lot of info from this forum. the truck has 50,000 miles and runs fine.

colchiro,
I'm just getting started here so bear with me. Did you mean two identical plate configurations in the same general specs as I already have? Or does your diagram imply another configuration? Getting into closed cell areas if I understand correctly.

HHOe,
I'm a bit spooked and too new at this to get into the other more caustic stuff yet I'm afraid. Maybe after I've had more experience actually on the vehicle I'll give it a shot.

In general I guess I'm gonna be another EFIE convert soon. The heck of it is I only drive 50-60 miles a week to work etc. I'm just playing as this stuff is so intriguing.

My motorcycle actually needs the boost worse than the truck so I'm working on a more compact cell for that right away.
(I never thought I would put more than 20 bucks in a bike gas tank).

I did put together a smackbooster and install it on a buddie's diesel Ford pickup truck. It had a lot more snap to it afterwards. I'm afraid he was a bad choice as a co-conspirator though as he rarely fills
it up. His mileage stats are more by guess and conjecture than actual data. He's already having problems with heat and amperage due to hard-headedness. He's of the opinion if a teaspoon of something is good,the whole box will be better. He does say that he barely has to touch the accellerator pedal to really scoot down the highway so maybe we're onto something on that front. Thanks for the replies and help, Thumb
06-29-2008 01:09 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

the caustic stuff isn't really anything to be worried about, just don't be dumb with it, I've had it on my bare hands before and it doesn't really do anything but i did get a splash of a high concentration solution of my water when i was first messing around and it doesn't burn a little, nothing a little soap and water couldn't handle tho.

Also with amperage we try to keep it as low as possible because higher amperages cause more of a drag on the engine and and decreases mileage, i've noticed good MPG gains with just around .2 lpm of production but my amps were around 8. I am also using an EFIE
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2008 01:15 PM by tjh566.)
06-29-2008 01:13 PM
Thumbpicker Offline

Thanks for the tip. I'm over cautious with chemicals but I'm sure it will pass after I "bench" try some without any problems.
Thumb
06-29-2008 01:16 PM