Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Code PO135 Insufient coolant tempature
Roadwarrior Offline

Code PO135 Insufient coolant tempature
After installing EFIE I have gotten the following error code PO135 Has anyone encountered this before and if so how did you correct it. I was getting a sensor malfuntion in sensor 1 bank 1 and replaced the o2 sensor. I am running a Waterfuelforrall booster. How will this effect my performance. I have included the description of this problem that is specific to my vechicle.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
To obtain a high purification rate for the CO, HC and NOx components of the exhaust gas, a three-way catalytic converter is used, but for the most efficient use of the three-way catalytic converter, the air-fuel ratio must be precisely controlled so that it is always close to the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio.
The oxygen sensor has the characteristic whereby its output voltage changes suddenly in the vicinity of the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio. This characteristic is used to detect the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas and provide feedback to the computer for control of the air-fuel ratio.
When the air-fuel ratio becomes LEAN, the oxygen concentration in the exhaust increases and the oxygen sensor informs the ECM of the LEAN condition (small electromotive force; < 0.45 V ).
When the air-fuel ratio is RICHER than the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas is reduced and the oxygen sensor informs the ECM of the RICH condition (large electromotive force: > 0.45 V ). The ECM judges by the electromotive force from the oxygen sensor whether the air-fuel ratio is RICH or LEAN and controls the injection time accordingly. However, if malfunction of the oxygen sensor causes output of abnormal electromotive force, the ECM is unable to perform accurate air-fuel ratio control.
The heated oxygen sensors include a heater which heats the zirconia element. The heater is controlled by the ECM. When the intake air volume is low (the temperature of the exhaust gas is low) current flows to the heater to heat the sensor for accurate oxygen concentration detection.
11-07-2008 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Code PO135 Insufient coolant tempature
My search says "Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1)"

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135

You seem to have no +12 volts to the heater circuit on your o2 sensor. I suspect it's wired wrong or defective. You need to turn off or disconnect your efie until you can get this resolved. When the code is gone, you should be able to resume with an efie.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-07-2008 04:03 PM
dogman Offline

I have had this same problem on occassion. With the EFIE off, in the morning with everything cold, within the first probably 15 minutes I would get a P0135-Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1 (and even a P0141 once-Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2). I have a Scangauge to reset. I have replaced pre-cat O2 (138000 miles) and still getting codes. I'm guessing it is because EFIE being cold (mornings about 15-20 degrees in morning right now). With EFIE is not turned on, bypass activated and cold temps may be complicating the signal. I am also thinking I may have damaged heater wire to pre-cat O2 when I was initially was sticking probes into wires looking for voltage.

Doug
2003 Buick Lesabre Limited
3.8L V6
Minot, ND
11-07-2008 04:16 PM
Roadwarrior Offline

Thanks for the reply I will disconnect the upstream o2 and check the wiring. I know I'm tapped into the right signal wire as I used my Chilton's Manual and Identified the # 3 pin as being the signal wire I cut this wire and connected the white wire to computer side and the green wire to the sensor side. I than connected the blue wire to #2 signal wire to computer and the brown wire to #2 signal wire to O2 sensor. I will check to make sure that the red wire is hooked up to the 12v heater wire and the black is hooked up to the heater ground. Does this make sense?
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2008 06:05 PM by Roadwarrior.)
11-07-2008 06:03 PM
Roadwarrior Offline

colchiro Wrote:My search says "Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1)"

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135

You seem to have no +12 volts to the heater circuit on your o2 sensor. I suspect it's wired wrong or defective. You need to turn off or disconnect your efie until you can get this resolved. When the code is gone, you should be able to resume with an efie.

I was thinking about what you said how could i have power to my efie if i have no 12v to my heater circuit?
11-07-2008 06:16 PM
colchiro Offline

First of all, your efie should be connected to a more stable power source, not the same power as your o2.

Secondly, I implied you might have a loose or unreliable connection to your o2 when you connected your new sensor.

Your efie has a time-delay circuit to improve cold start. When you first turn on your efie, the offset is a low value that slowly increases after 5 or more minutes to a maximum. When your efie is turned off, a relay completes the circuit between the o2 and ecu.

If your o2 works fine with the efie turned off, then you might try a lower setting on your efie. It's possible your ecu is reporting a code other than what you would expect.

Out of curiosity, what is your efie set at (measured after the engine and efie have run for at least 10 minutes)?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-07-2008 08:51 PM
Roadwarrior Offline

colchiro Wrote:First of all, your efie should be connected to a more stable power source, not the same power as your o2.

Secondly, I implied you might have a loose or unreliable connection to your o2 when you connected your new sensor.

Your efie has a time-delay circuit to improve cold start. When you first turn on your efie, the offset is a low value that slowly increases after 5 or more minutes to a maximum. When your efie is turned off, a relay completes the circuit between the o2 and ecu.

If your o2 works fine with the efie turned off, then you might try a lower setting on your efie. It's possible your ecu is reporting a code other than what you would expect.

Out of curiosity, what is your efie set at (measured after the engine and efie have run for at least 10 minutes)?

225mv
11-08-2008 05:05 AM
Gary Offline

It's just a thought, but I've read that some o2 sensors use atmospheric air along the wire for the comparison - could punctures in the insulation from testing for voltage cause a problem there? Anyway, good idea to put a drop of non-silicone sealant on there after testing, to keep the wire from corroding inside. I recall something about silicone being a problem for the sensor.
Colchiro, you have mail.
11-08-2008 05:47 AM
Roadwarrior Offline

Gary Wrote:It's just a thought, but I've read that some o2 sensors use atmospheric air along the wire for the comparison - could punctures in the insulation from testing for voltage cause a problem there? Anyway, good idea to put a drop of non-silicone sealant on there after testing, to keep the wire from corroding inside. I recall something about silicone being a problem for the sensor.
Colchiro, you have mail.

Gary thanks for your input. I just unhooked efie and repaired and taped all connections and am now relying on input from on board diag. did a test run and code came back. checked both sensors at connection and both getting 12 v. Could this be a ECM problem?
11-08-2008 06:53 AM
colchiro Offline

Since you changed out the o2 I would think it's related to that or the efie install.

My o2 had SS wiring, difficult to solder and they usually suggest crimping those wires. Did you have a factory harness on yours or did you get a cheap one and have to wire the connector yourself?

Also is this a factory o2 or aftermarket, (where they might have given you the wrong one)?

Rick

11-08-2008 08:05 AM