Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Concerning electrolyte solution replenishment
mojoman317717 Offline

Concerning electrolyte solution replenishment
I'm dealing with a solution of KOH in distilled water. Is the KOH consumed during electrolysis?

The point being, if not then I can merely add more distilled water, rather than KOH solution when topping off the depleted electrolyte, right?

Assuming I maintain the same amount of electrolyte in the cell, the % of KOH solution should remain constant.
11-11-2010 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Concerning electrolyte solution replenishment
In theory, yes, the electrolyte remains in the reservoir and only water is lost as HHO is made. Therefore you should be able to just add water.

In practice, some KOH will be lost, so occasionally you have to add some KOH. Where does it go? I think the HHO gremlins get it. Smile You just have to monitor your amperage and if it starts dropping, add some KOH.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-12-2010 12:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
frodo2222 Offline

(11-12-2010 12:14 PM)mike Wrote:  In theory, yes, the electrolyte remains in the reservoir and only water is lost as HHO is made. Therefore you should be able to just add water.

In practice, some KOH will be lost, so occasionally you have to add some KOH. Where does it go? I think the HHO gremlins get it. Smile You just have to monitor your amperage and if it starts dropping, add some KOH.

Quick question, got everything finally but what is the mix I need to put in the cell wet for lye and distilled water. the cell only takes 400 Ml so just about half a liter how do you measure the amount of lye?

Thanks for your help!
12-06-2010 02:41 PM
mike Offline

I don't know. You have to ask your cell maker. It can vary quite a bit, depending on what the plate to plate voltages are. Its part of the cell design. If you built the cell yourself, you need to start out with trial and error. You basically add electrolyte until you reach your target amperage.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-06-2010 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Roland Jacques Offline

(11-11-2010 05:52 PM)mojoman317717 Wrote:  I'm dealing with a solution of KOH in distilled water. Is the KOH consumed during electrolysis?

The point being, if not then I can merely add more distilled water, rather than KOH solution when topping off the depleted electrolyte, right?

Assuming I maintain the same amount of electrolyte in the cell, the % of KOH solution should remain constant.

You could also use a hydrometer to check your KOH concentration. Determine how much KOH you want, measure it with a battery Hydrometer and you now have a reference point. You then to where you want it. and how to check it.
12-07-2010 10:09 AM