Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Connection locations
qsiguy Offline

Connection locations
I'm preparing to install a single EFIE unit and plan to grab the O2 sensor wire at the ECU input. I'm curious why everyone is instructed to run wires all the way out to the O2 sensor harness either under the hood or under the car? Assuming you have the ECU wiring information for your vehicles ECU it is by far the easiest location to wire it in my opinion. There are also more options to tap your 12 volt supply and ground wire for the unit inside the vehicle and it saves time running wires all over the place. Also keeps your hands much cleaner :smallwink:

Am I missing something? Is there some techincal reason everyone goes to the O2 harness or under the hood or is it just easier to find for the novice installer?

For the record I have many years automotive electrical/electronics experience and have owned a mobile electronics shop for many years as well. I guess most people would be intimidated by all the wires at the ECU so maybe that is reason enough.

What is your expert opinion Mike?

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
02-06-2008 09:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Connection locations
I agree completely. That's exactly the way I intended for people to do it. I just went back and read the instructions and they really aren't clear on that point. I talk about how you find out what the correct wires are, but not that you go ahead and tap in close the computer. However, that's plan A. Plan B is going out to the sensor to figure out which wire is which, but only if you don't have the diagram for the wire colors and pin numbers going into the computer.

I will fix that up so that it's more clear. Please check them and see if that makes better sense (step 2 of the Installation Instructions). You may have to clear your file cache to get the updated version.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2008 03:11 AM by mike.)
02-07-2008 02:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
qsiguy Offline

That'll do. Smile I might add that you shouldn't cut the wire too close to the ECU. Leave some room to work with the wiring and make your connections, also to allow you to put it back to stock should you need/want to.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
02-07-2008 09:20 AM
mike Offline

I'll do it. Might save some guy some major aggravation. See step 4, "Attach the wires".

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2008 12:07 PM by mike.)
02-07-2008 11:23 AM
mike Offline

A question by dbow has been moved to a new thread. You can find it here.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-04-2008 03:49 PM