Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cylinders vs Plate Electrodes Help
chronosteam Offline

Cylinders vs Plate Electrodes Help
HI, I learned a lot from reading this forum. Thank you for all the info.

I want to make a HHO generator myself, i have one question. Which design is more efficient (regarding the HHO volume and the current draw) the cylinders electrodes or plate electrodes?

The cylinder i design is using 2", 1.75", 1.5", 1.25", 1", 0.75" diameter vs 100mm x 40mm x 6 pieces. All the electrodes is wired using series connection, so it will use about 12 Volt.

I hope someone can help me with this topic.

Thanks
12-13-2008 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
daddymikey1975 Offline

RE: Cylinders vs Plate Electrodes Help
when using cylinders the MAXIMUM usable area is going to be limited by your smalles cylinder. Even though you're using multiple cylinders, you're still going to be limited.

plate electrode at lease equal the playing field as all the available surface area is usable for production.

in short, cylinders are less efficient than plates.

I hope this helps
mike
12-14-2008 03:56 AM
chronosteam Offline

daddymikey1975 Wrote:when using cylinders the MAXIMUM usable area is going to be limited by your smalles cylinder. Even though you're using multiple cylinders, you're still going to be limited.

plate electrode at lease equal the playing field as all the available surface area is usable for production.

in short, cylinders are less efficient than plates.

I hope this helps
mike

Thank you for the answer. I will stick to plates design then. Btw do you have any idea what is the ideal gap between the plates?

Best regards

David Budiatmaja
12-14-2008 08:40 AM
colchiro Offline

I agree with Mike on the cylinders.

Gap varies from 1/16 to 3/8 inch, depending on who you talk to. Personally, I'd use at least 1/8 inch, otherwise you have trouble getting the bubbles away from the plates.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-14-2008 08:46 AM
chronosteam Offline

colchiro Wrote:I agree with Mike on the cylinders.

Gap varies from 1/16 to 3/8 inch, depending on who you talk to. Personally, I'd use at least 1/8 inch, otherwise you have trouble getting the bubbles away from the plates.

I've tried using o ring in my drycell project and the gap is around 4.5mm. The connection is using +nnnn- but i noticed that the optimum configuration is +nnn- (the highest HHO gas production). I'm using car battery for this test and using KOH as catalyst on the electrolyte.

I will try to lower the gap using thinner o ring. I will try using 2 mm diameter o ring.

Thanks for the info
12-14-2008 05:46 PM
alpha-dog Offline

chronosteam Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:I agree with Mike on the cylinders.

I've tried using o ring in my drycell project and the gap is around 4.5mm. The connection is using +nnnn- but i noticed that the optimum configuration is +nnn- (the highest HHO gas production). I'm using car battery for this test and using KOH as catalyst on the electrolyte.

I will try to lower the gap using thinner o ring. I will try using 2 mm diameter o ring.

Thanks for the info

When you use your car battery is the engine running. That might be why -NNNN+ isn't working better than -NNN+ is you need to start the car up.
Russ
12-14-2008 06:44 PM
colchiro Offline

I'm with Russ. I think you already have a good configuration.

4.5 mm compressed? Most people complain their o-rings crush to close to half the thickness and it's hard to find o-rings thick enough.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-14-2008 07:11 PM
chronosteam Offline

I just finished testing the cylinder electrodes, i have to say the result on my test on the cylinder type electrodes Vs Plate Electrodes (2", 1.75", 1.5", 1.25", 1", 0.75" Cylinder diameter vs 100mm x 40mm x 6 pieces) showed that the cylinder type of electrodes produces more gas that the plates configuration. The problem is i don't have any amp meter to measure the amp draw of thus system design. I will post some photo later about my setup. I will also want to buy some amp meter now.

What do you think about this result am having. Is it because my plate design is not optimal?

Do PWM really boost the amount HHO gas produced using the same amp draw? Cause I'm thinking about building the PWM myself.

Thanks guys
12-17-2008 08:05 PM
chronosteam Offline

colchiro Wrote:I'm with Russ. I think you already have a good configuration.

4.5 mm compressed? Most people complain their o-rings crush to close to half the thickness and it's hard to find o-rings thick enough.

I buy the o-ring from the store that sell industrial gasket and o-ring. They have huge selections of o-ring and everything that got to do with rubber seal. In my country (Indonesia) the store name is central seal. I think you might find it in store that sell industrial gasket and o-ring.
12-17-2008 08:09 PM
colchiro Offline

You might have more gas produced from drawing more current so you'll want to get a 0-30 amp meter (forget the -50 to +50 ones that are so easily available).

There's dozens of links here for ammeters if you search. Here's just one: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2383

Rick

12-17-2008 08:19 PM