Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deep cycle battery for HHO power source?
firefly Offline

Deep cycle battery for HHO power source?
Has anyone used a deep cycle battery to power their HHO generator instead of using the cars electrical system? I was wondering if you could have a deep cycle battery installed in the trunk or back of a SUV and have the HHO generator get its power from it instead of pulling its power from the cars alternator/battery system in order to regain any mpg lost from supplying power to the HHO unit. Then when you get home, just undo the alligator clips from the secondary battery, plug it up to a recharger and let it recharge overnight, and then simply take it back out to the car, drop it into a battery storage box mounted in the car and reconnect the alligator clips. Use a ammeter as usual to monitor the amount of amps the HHO unit pulls and have your relay wired to a "Only-on when the key is turned on" circuit so that the HHO unit would only pull power from the secondary battery when you start you car up. I would think that a 50-70Ah deep cycle battery, with a HHO unit pulling 10-15 amps at 12V would give you a few hours of operating time before you would have to recharge the battery. I was thinking about doing this, in order to remove the HHO unit electrical pull off the car's systems in order to regain any lost mpg loss from supplying electricity to the HHO unit. Recharging the deep cycle marine battery would be cheap and would prolong the life of your alternator. My HHO unit runs at 10 amps pretty much all the time, but I did notice that when I turn it on, you can hear a little bit of a change from the engine when it has to produce the additional electricity for the HHO unit. My engine is a 2.0L 4 cylinder. Any thoughts about this? Has anyone does this?
06-09-2008 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjski78 Offline

RE: Deep cycle battery for HHO power source?
I would imagine it would work pretty well, however, I honestly don't think it would be worth the extra effort. In my experience with automotive electrical, which involves mostly car audio equipment, I don't think the added pull off the alternator is really costing you much in the way of fuel mileage. I've run audio systems that pulled in excess of 100 amps, and had no real reduction in mileage. Only problem I have ever encountered was the usual dimming of the lights during big bass notes at excessively high volume. More often than not, this was corrected by adding 0 gauge wires to the electrical system at key points. Battery to ground, alternator to battery, and block to ground. In the audio world, this is referred to as the "big-3" upgrade, and it works wonders on your electrical system by making it run more efficiently. Of course, for the HUGE systems, we would upgrade to a HO alternator, and upgrade all the wiring, major PITA! I'd venture to say that even if you don't run a full tilt stereo system in your car, doing the big-3 would greatly diminish the strain on your electrical system caused by your HHO generator.

In relation to your particular case, if you can actually hear the difference when your generator comes on, I would HIGHLY suggest doing the Big-3 and see if the problem goes away. You don't even have to spring for 0 gauge wire, 4 gauge will work just as well. If you need a supplier for cheap 4 gauge, go to http://www.knukonceptz.com as they have the cheapest prices I have ever seen, and the quality is top notch (I use it in all of my installs).
06-09-2008 12:17 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

I would imagine that a deep cycle battery would add alot of extra weight to your vehicle. That would probably hurt your gas mileage rather than aid in increasing it.
06-09-2008 01:15 PM
firefly Offline

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I've only been running it for about a week, so I'm still a HHO newbie. Maybe it was my imagination but a couple of times I thought the engine sounded slightly different as soon as I threw the switch. Just yesterday I didn't noticed any engine sound difference after turning on the unit, so maybe it was just me.

I had just heard random people talking about how they thought a HHO generator could put a load on the engine and could cost them some mpg. So I was just thinking of alternatives for powering the unit if what they had said was true. Anyway, thanks for the input.
06-10-2008 10:08 AM
chynewalker Offline

i doubt one deep cycle would drop your mpgs anything that is noticable, think about it. a deep cycle weights around 50lbs.
my car gets 30mpg highway right now with one person, if i bring a friend along on vacation it gets about the same. he weighs about 200 lbs.

my advice if you have a deep cycle laying around give it a shot what do you have to loose?
06-10-2008 12:50 PM