Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Diesels & HHO
Hoyt7811 Offline

Diesels & HHO
Hi All,
Another newbe here. Just getting started and wondering if any of you would know I could find info on using this gas with an older mercedes diesel, specifically a 1983 300 SD. Can I just install the output of the electrolizer & Bubbler into the throat of the air breather, after the filter? I know regular gas engines use spark to set off the fuel/air mix, but the diesel uses heat caused by compression, and no spark. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hoyt
05-30-2008 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
S10 Hybrid Offline

RE: Diesels & HHO
Hoyt7811 Wrote:Hi All,
Another newbe here. Just getting started and wondering if any of you would know I could find info on using this gas with an older mercedes diesel, specifically a 1983 300 SD. Can I just install the output of the electrolizer & Bubbler into the throat of the air breather, after the filter? I know regular gas engines use spark to set off the fuel/air mix, but the diesel uses heat caused by compression, and no spark. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hoyt

Hi Hoyt, sure you can inject directly to the neck, I would still use a flash back device. You can never be too safe. HHO burns very fast.

I hope that helps some...

eddie b.
05-30-2008 02:10 PM
retmil46 Offline

I've got an '87 300D Turbo. I'm looking to rig up HHO on it shortly and see what the effects are.

Just realized this morning I've got some 4" PVC pipe laying around, plus all the tubing and appropriate fittings, to throw together a Smack booster off of his pdf instructions. Just need some switchplate covers and threaded nylon rod.

However, I'm not going to build an exact copy - I'm going to modify it in line with ER's Hyzor book - instead of Smack's plate arrangement, I'll use 7 series cells.

Not intended to be permanent, just good enough for testing.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
05-31-2008 09:20 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

retmil46 Wrote:I've got an '87 300D Turbo. I'm looking to rig up HHO on it shortly and see what the effects are.

Just realized this morning I've got some 4" PVC pipe laying around, plus all the tubing and appropriate fittings, to throw together a Smack booster off of his pdf instructions. Just need some switchplate covers and threaded nylon rod.

However, I'm not going to build an exact copy - I'm going to modify it in line with ER's Hyzor book - instead of Smack's plate arrangement, I'll use 7 series cells.

Not intended to be permanent, just good enough for testing.

Hi retmil46, you should have seen my first test cell. A boyscout would have done a better job. It did not cost me a penny to build it out of stuff that was laying around the garage. After 12 - 16 hours at 6 amps it just disintegrated into the soup... Not a pretty site. Got many answers from those test...

That is how you get the best answers, experimenting!

Keep up the great work sir... Big Grin

eddie b.
06-01-2008 06:36 AM
HANK1948 Offline

Iam going to install mine this weekend Ive been working on. I have a N/A 6.2 diesel
I installed the input at the air cleaner inlet with a 1in. tall copper tube right in the air stream with the tip cut back on a angle (like a tail pipe exiting out the side)to increase draft from the tube because N/A diesels have minimal vacuum.
I hope to see some good results.
Its a Crew Cab 1ton that gets 21mpg not to bad for a 6500 lb truck but would like to get more!
I will post results
06-01-2008 07:31 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

HANK1948 Wrote:Iam going to install mine this weekend Ive been working on. I have a N/A 6.2 diesel
I installed the input at the air cleaner inlet with a 1in. tall copper tube right in the air stream with the tip cut back on a angle (like a tail pipe exiting out the side)to increase draft from the tube because N/A diesels have minimal vacuum.
I hope to see some good results.
Its a Crew Cab 1ton that gets 21mpg not to bad for a 6500 lb truck but would like to get more!
I will post results

Hi HANK1948, many diesel users are reporting very good 20% to 30% MPG gains. I am sure you will tweak to that, maybe better...

I will also mention the improver power and much cleaner emissions.

Truckers think it is a God sent. When they need to roll up hill they are reporting much improved power...

Chin up HANK1948 and keep us posted, we need feed back specially from big diesel engines...

Keep up the great work sir.

eddie b.
06-01-2008 08:35 AM
retmil46 Offline

Started fitting together the basics yesterday after a trip to the hardware store.

Quickly realized that if built as per Smacks instructions, this beast would be over 17" tall - far too tall to fit under the hood. Replacing the screw in cap with the large square lug with a flush fit type will trim 1" off the height, and trimming 3" off the 12" main pipe section will get the overall height below 13" where it will be a comfortable fit.

Instead of using 5/16" bolts in the cap and trying to fashion long straps out of stainless to connect the cells, I'll run two threaded rods thru the cap down into the housing, with just a couple of short straps off the cells to connect to the rods. That will make it far easier to adjust the height of the cells in the container, and the rods will do double duty as both exterior electrical connection and supporting the cells.

8 switch cover plates for 7 series cells, with 1/8" spacing as per ER's Hyzor book, using nylon spacers and nylon threaded rod. I'm going to notch the corners where the plates are curved so that they can be beaten flat.

In the top cap, I'm going to add a ball valve and 1/2" tubing connector so I don't have to remove the cap to refill the generator.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville NC
'87 MB 300D Turbodiesel
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
06-01-2008 09:45 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

retmil46 Wrote:Started fitting together the basics yesterday after a trip to the hardware store.

Quickly realized that if built as per Smacks instructions, this beast would be over 17" tall - far too tall to fit under the hood. Replacing the screw in cap with the large square lug with a flush fit type will trim 1" off the height, and trimming 3" off the 12" main pipe section will get the overall height below 13" where it will be a comfortable fit.

Instead of using 5/16" bolts in the cap and trying to fashion long straps out of stainless to connect the cells, I'll run two threaded rods thru the cap down into the housing, with just a couple of short straps off the cells to connect to the rods. That will make it far easier to adjust the height of the cells in the container, and the rods will do double duty as both exterior electrical connection and supporting the cells.

8 switch cover plates for 7 series cells, with 1/8" spacing as per ER's Hyzor book, using nylon spacers and nylon threaded rod. I'm going to notch the corners where the plates are curved so that they can be beaten flat.

In the top cap, I'm going to add a ball valve and 1/2" tubing connector so I don't have to remove the cap to refill the generator.

Hi retmil46, you will soon discover the sweet power from water in you engine. Big Grin

I tell you this S10 clunker has never ran smoother or had such a soft touch on the gas pedal due to the new power. This thing was a COW! Not any more... jejeje

eddie b.
06-01-2008 06:57 PM
Hoyt7811 Offline

Hope you guys can post some pics or diagrams. I'm anxious to hear of your results. Eddie B, any recomendation as to a flashback device?
Thanks
Hoyt
06-02-2008 03:38 AM
S10 Hybrid Offline

Hoyt7811 Wrote:Hope you guys can post some pics or diagrams. I'm anxious to hear of your results. Eddie B, any recomendation as to a flashback device?
Thanks
Hoyt

Hi Hoyt, I recommend making and testing your own components when it comes to HHO.

I was able to arrest over 30 flash backs with a 1 simple cigarette filter with no paper wrapper in the clear hose. This was tested at the air cleaner end, installed on the clear hose tip.

Then I made a better unit by using; 1 cig filter with no paper wrapper, 2' inches of SS wool and then another cig filter with no paper wrapper on the end. All this assembled in the hose, snug but not forced... The whole thing was about 4" inches long and placed inline, inside the clear hose... Easily inspected and serviced or replaced... Big Grin

I hope this helps...

eddie b.
06-02-2008 08:18 AM