Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digital EFIE and wire gauges
CrazyJoey Offline

Digital EFIE and wire gauges
Looking at the Digital EFIE and the wire that comes out of it to hook up to the O2 sensors....it strangely almost looks like Category 5E network cable you would use to set up computer networks with.

What wire gauge would you suggest hooking up between the Digital EFIE and the O2 sensors? In my research, 18 AWG would be the answer?
05-29-2009 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Digital EFIE and wire gauges
Hi Joey.

AFAIK, you get sufficient wire with the unit.

[Image: efie1comp2.jpg]

It looks like the same wire that the older efies used, which I would guess would be 16 or 18, but that's just a guess.

Cat 5 is usually flat, this is a round cable with a bit of string for strength and a vinyl cover, (and probably unshielded), pretty standard stuff.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-29-2009 08:33 PM
CrazyJoey Offline

Hey, Colchiro!

Yeah, I'm sure it came with sufficient wire length when my wife bought it. But the person that installed it for her at work had to make two long runs to the two pre-cat O2 sensors underneath the truck.

I'm still getting CEL on P0154 for her truck, so I just wanted to make sure that 18 AWG was alright to use to interface the D-EFIE to the O2 sensors. The guy that installed it for her worked for her, and he didn't really do a great job wiring and connectorizing it, so I'm going to start from scratch and do it right.

Since I got you, I have another question. If the car throws a CEL, anything that the D-EFIE is negated, right, even regardless what the car's computer is telling me as Average MPG after the CEL goes on while I drive?
05-29-2009 08:40 PM
colchiro Offline

It's common for the vehicle to go into open loop, depending on what the code is. Open loop would mean that the o2 sensor isn't used and instead, safe settings not necessarily giving the best mileage, would be used.

P0154: O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 2 Sensor 1

Sensor 1 means it's one of the front o2s that we want to connect to.

Sounds like a break in the wire between the sensor and the ECU, the same wire that runs thru the efie.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-29-2009 09:09 PM
mike Offline

Hi guys.

The question about wire gauge: any gauge will do. Heck, you could use 30 gauge if you wanted to, and 18 gauge will also work. The cable we provide is not telecomm wire, but telecomm wire would also work. Ours is 20 gauge. The only reason we use a gauge that large is so that the wire is not too fragile for use under the car. But the current it carries is so tiny that it is negligible for determining the wire gauge needed.

If you're showing no activity, that likely means a wire break as colchiro pointed out. But it could also be that your sensors are so old and tired that adding some voltage from an EFIE makes them look unresponsive to the computer. Do you have the analog EFIE (in a gray case), or digital (in a black case)? The analog will sometimes cause old sensors that should be replaced to finally trigger a code, whereas the digital will usually work even with old sensors.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-01-2009 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyJoey Offline

Or, in my case, when I was cleaning up the wiring in my wife's truck two weeks ago, I screwed up the wiring. Now, I have it all fixed, and it's working great! We're still running tests for MPG. We're getting some positive results so far.

Mike, I was reading on your forums about a guy that had a perfectly installed EFIE, but he burned out his engine because it was running too lean. Someone had suggested that if he had checked his spark plugs occasionally that it would have tipped him off as to what was going on. With this digital EFIE, should I still check my plugs from time to time?
06-02-2009 12:12 AM
colchiro Offline

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Signs of a mixture that's too lean:
CEL (check-engine light)
loss of power or other driveability issue
no gain (or a loss) in mileage

When you have people claiming 50, 60, 80 or more mpg, everybody want to do the same. I don't know all the details of how that engine got destroyed and don't care to speculate. Was it a problem with the efie and hho or some other problem? Who knows. Look at all the others here who had no serious problems. Use common sense and be satisfied with less phenomenal results and you should be safe.

Rick

06-02-2009 02:00 PM
mike Offline

(06-02-2009 12:12 AM)CrazyJoey Wrote:  Or, in my case, when I was cleaning up the wiring in my wife's truck two weeks ago, I screwed up the wiring. Now, I have it all fixed, and it's working great! We're still running tests for MPG. We're getting some positive results so far.

Mike, I was reading on your forums about a guy that had a perfectly installed EFIE, but he burned out his engine because it was running too lean. Someone had suggested that if he had checked his spark plugs occasionally that it would have tipped him off as to what was going on. With this digital EFIE, should I still check my plugs from time to time?

The short answer is "yes". You should check frequently until you have a good certainty that your engine is running fine.

I never saw the post you're talking about. If you happen to recall where it was, it would be great if you could send me the link. But in general, if you're producing a lot of HHO gas, it allows the engine to run leaner without causing damage. It's just part of the package of phenomena when running HHO. BUT, if you THINK your running lots of HHO, but aren't, and leaning your engine like mad, you could have trouble.

With the older style EFIEs I find it hard to imagine that an engine would get damaged because of running too lean. With the new digital EFIEs, I can see it as a possibility. But really, the solution is to get a really kick-ass HHO gen that puts out lots of HHO, and make sure it continues to produce. That's your best protection to a too lean condition. Also, make sure the EFIE is set up only to run when the HHO is running.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-03-2009 03:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Hi Mike, I think he's referring to this post: http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-How-a-p...-an-engine

Rick

06-03-2009 03:54 PM