Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digital EFIE tuning
wpvk818 Offline

Digital EFIE tuning
I have the new digital EFIE and I installed it on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee upstream sensor. I started out with the switch point at .332, then gradually adjusted down to .100 and still did not feel any difference or see any change in the short-term and long-term fuel trims. Changes started happening around .095, and the fuel trims look correct at .091. This concerns me though because that is an outrageously lean setting. It either means my hydroxy system is working incredibly good at removing emissions or my O2 sensor is shot. Anyone know what's going on here?
05-11-2009 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Digital EFIE tuning
Hi wp.

I assume you've double checked the wiring and have your efie installed correctly? Did you connect at the o2 sensor or further down the harness (like at the ECU)?

Are you able to make the engine stumble and hesitate if you turn it below .091?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-11-2009 01:47 PM
mike Offline

(05-11-2009 12:17 PM)wpvk818 Wrote:  I have the new digital EFIE and I installed it on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee upstream sensor. I started out with the switch point at .332, then gradually adjusted down to .100 and still did not feel any difference or see any change in the short-term and long-term fuel trims. Changes started happening around .095, and the fuel trims look correct at .091. This concerns me though because that is an outrageously lean setting. It either means my hydroxy system is working incredibly good at removing emissions or my O2 sensor is shot. Anyone know what's going on here?

This can be OK. Vehicles vary in how they are programmed as far as oxygen sensor signal voltages. If you find that your engine runs fine (as in no loss of horsepower while driving), and your mileage is improved, then the setting is fine. We have seen some people use very low settings such as this and they have worked fine. The record for a working setting is 75 mV. The bottom line is that the car should work perfectly, and you get the expected gains from your HHO (or other combustion efficiency device) system.

If it works, as described above, the setting is fine.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-11-2009 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Thanks Mike.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-11-2009 02:07 PM
wpvk818 Offline

I can make the engine stumble around .088, so yes, it does appear to be working. I tapped the O2 wiring about halfway between the O2 sensor and the ECU, on the harness side. There is an extension of the wires into my cab, so I'm thinking there might be significant voltage drop and that might be the cause of having to use such a low setting on the EFIE. Until I use at least half of my current tank I won't really know the mileage increase/decrease, so I'll watch and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
05-11-2009 02:27 PM
mike Offline

The wire length won't be an issue. It's ok to do that.

But definitely post again regarding fuel mileage. I'm assuming you've been over the debug checklist on my site as well? If not, go to the documents page and have a look at it.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-11-2009 07:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply