Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digital Effie Light Problem
Chikai Offline

Digital Effie Light Problem
I have a bit of a perplexing problem in that the green light on my Dual Digital Effie goes off when my engine has been running for a while, and it stays off. It turns on when I start up but does not blink like the literature says it should. My system is a HHO setup on a 1991 3 liter V6 Mitsubishi Pajero. I have it at 150mv and it runs alright. I wonder if anyone else experiences the same same issue with the green light on their effies. Does this mean that my effie is not working properly? Any enlightenment would be most appreciated. Thanks.
07-22-2011 02:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chikai Offline

RE: Digital Effie Light Problem
Hi, me here again. I feel a bit of a meat head. The solution was simple. The wires from the sensor were crossed over going to the effie. Uncrossed them and put the correct wire into the correct input and hey presto, all is as it should be! Blinking green led light, and had to do a slight readjustment back up from 150 to 200 as it was a bit underpowered. Hope this works as down here in New Zealand we are really being shafted for the cost of petrol. At the moment it is $2.0999 cents a liter. About 3.8 of these make up 1 US gallon which would make a gallon of petrol cost $7.97 cents! You guys stateside at $3.69 ( average nationally as of today) are coping it sweet compared to us kiwis. Have a good day, I know I will be, now I have this problem solved. Cheers.
07-22-2011 03:38 PM
mike Offline

That's good news. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. I somehow missed your original post. Very good for working out the problem.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
07-23-2011 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chikai Offline

Thought I would post a update on my digital efie install. I found that setting it at 150 made it run better but without any petrol savings worth mentioning. So I have been experimenting with dialing it down and at 70 it started to show some savings. It took the engine a while to accept this setting without surging and stumbling. Still has good power and cruising tendencies. On researching about the Mitsubishi fuel injection system for this engine and model I found out that the Mass airflow sensor is what supplies this system with the information as to how much fuel to inject into the engine according to the density of air flowing over it.
The ECU looks up its fuel maps according to the information being fed to it by the mass airflow sensor and delivers fuel accordingly. The mass airflow sensor is of a frequency type and I get the feeling I need to address this sensor to maximise fuel saving gains as I've already dialed the efie way lower than whats recommended as far as I can see. My question at this point is, am I harming my engine by running it with the efie dialed as low as it is? Any comments would be welcomed.
08-15-2011 12:35 AM
mike Offline

There's no danger of using the EFIE too low. Some engines work best with very low settings. What will happen if you go too low is that the ECU will reject the data. In that case the engine will run rich and you're mileage gains will be terrible, but there is no risk to the engine.

If you are sure your Mitsu has a frequency type MAF, you can get a frequency based MAF Enhancer here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/map-maf-enh...f-enhancer . Note, it will also handle voltage type sensors too, but there is a less expensive solution for voltage type MAFs.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-15-2011 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chikai Offline

Thanks for your reply Mike. Its' reassuring to find out the engine wont be damaged by dialing the effie down low. It is currently on 65 and seems to be saving petrol but sometimes feel like it is holding back.This truck drinks petrol like a alcoholic sailor let loose in a bar with a pocket full of money after months at sea without a drop! I've got a Mighty Mite 4.5K HHO system installed that I got off Ebay. It is suppose to produce up to 2 Liters per minute of HHO, however I'm not sure if it is. I am happy with it, as it bubbles away merrily which makes it looks like it is producing heaps of gas without too much water evaporation and heat. Apart from using a Maf enhancer, I'm also thinking about adding a PWM to ramp up HHO production without the extra heat. By adding a PWM I should get more gas production and keep the amperage down. This would ensure the engine is getting all the HHO gas it needs to compensate for less petrol coming in. My last figure was 300 kilometers for 40 Liters of petrol. I need to do better than this.
08-17-2011 01:24 AM
mike Offline

That unit is too small for a truck engine. I'm assuming you have a big V8? Any cell can produce gobs of HHO when run at high amperage with high KOH concentrations. But in this case, they were probably driving it much much higher than you would run it normally when they measured it at 2 LPM. For instance, a small cell can produce 4 LPM the same as a big cell can. But it will get hotter and hotter, until it is producing mostly steam. The smaller cell should be making 1 LPM Max, and to try to get more out of it, is counter productive.

Another example is the big truck (semi tractor trailer) cells found here: http://www.dry-cells.com/complete-system...y-cell-kit . We've tested that cell at 15 LPM. And this was real, honest, no-BS 15 LPM as measured on a $1,400 Alicat Scientific flow meter. But we wouldn't run that cell at more than 8 to 10 LPM in real life, and for a 16L engine, we would run it at more like 6 or 7 LPM. At this rate of production, the cell is much more efficient, and is able to remain cool, even if run 24 hours per day.

Unfortunately, you just can't go by the flow rates that manufacturers list. I could probably get 4 LPM out of that Mighty Mite. It would be mostly steam, and it would probably melt after about 1/2 hour of running, but it would show that much gas coming out of it. There's just no substitute for having a cell that is big enough to comfortably produce the amount of gas you need for a particular sized engine.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-17-2011 07:59 AM
Chikai Offline

Hi Mike, the engine in my 4 x 4 Pajero is as I posted in my first post, a single overhead camshaft EFI 3 liter V6. An excessively thirsty beasty. Has had new sparkplugs, new air filter, oil change done recently along with new transmission fluid flush and new filter.
This is a link to info about the Mighty Mite. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Most-Effi...3cbb087300
I just feel with the fuel injection system in this vehicle that the Maf needs to be addressed to get any real savings out of it. Why I feel the HHO gas is down a bit and needs a PWM is because sometimes it feels like it is hesitating when I have my foot down a certain amount on the accelerator, but when I push down a bit more the power comes in. As you can see from the info about the Mighty Mite, it runs at 15 amps of current draw, and a maximum temperature of 115 degrees F. May by a little bit more gas would help things.
08-17-2011 10:42 PM
mike Offline

Have a look at that article on the Mighty Might again. The manufacturer makes a very good point on diminishing returns. Try doing like he says, and run it at 10 amps or so, and see what happens.

If the efficiency is as good as he claims, you don't need 15 amps, and more amps will actually be past the point of diminishing returns.

That hesitation when adding a bit of fuel indicates you may need to back off on the EFIE a bit more. Some people run them as high as 300 mv. Others as low as 75 mv. It depends on many factors, and neither setting is right, except for the car where it is being successfully used. Don't be afraid to experiment.

I don't think you need a MAF. I think you need to optimize what you already have, and you should be able to get up to a 30% or better mileage gains from your starting mileage.

Visit Our Documents Page
08-18-2011 08:00 AM
adammonsen Offline

Thank your very much. It is useful for me.

(08-15-2011 08:16 AM)mike Wrote:  There's no danger of using the EFIE too low. Some engines work best with very low settings. What will happen if you go too low is that the ECU will reject the data. In that case the engine will run rich and you're mileage gains will be terrible, but there is no risk to the engine.

If you are sure your Mitsu has a frequency type MAF, you can get a frequency based MAF Enhancer here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/map-maf-enh...f-enhancerled-watcheskindle-fire-covers . Note, it will also handle voltage type sensors too, but there is a less expensive solution for voltage type MAFs.
10-28-2011 10:29 PM