Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digital Quad EFIE
koya1893 Offline

Digital Quad EFIE
Mke,

I am using a Quad digital EFIE to handle two post cat sensors. I decided to use it, one I have an extra and two I can adjust the two in one adjustment. first question: Is it proper to use the unit to handle the post cat sensor? Two what indication should I see that it is hooked up correctly. the digital portion of this unit that controls the front sensors has the LED by the pot but not by the anolog for the rear. The LED close the pot for the front sensor are also an indicator for the rear?
01-22-2010 04:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Digital Quad EFIE
(01-22-2010 04:58 AM)koya1893 Wrote:  Mke,

I am using a Quad digital EFIE to handle two post cat sensors. I decided to use it, one I have an extra and two I can adjust the two in one adjustment. first question: Is it proper to use the unit to handle the post cat sensor? Two what indication should I see that it is hooked up correctly. the digital portion of this unit that controls the front sensors has the LED by the pot but not by the anolog for the rear. The LED close the pot for the front sensor are also an indicator for the rear?

First of all, yes, it is quite proper to use these on post cast sensors. The 2 analog EFIEs were included in the Quad specifically to treat downstream sensors. We don't use digital EFIEs for downstream, because they respond better to analog EFIEs. Upstream sensors respond better to digital EFIEs. You can find out more about why that is here: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

The red LED is for power. So it applies to all 4 EFIEs. LEDs for the analog EFIEs aren't needed, so are not provided. Its just the different nature of how the 2 different types of circuit work. You only need to know the voltage that you're setting on the analog the EFIEs. You can get that from the black test port and the bottom (furthest from the black) red test port. I would set that to 200 mv to start with, and try upping it to 250 or even more. But do it incrementally and drive for a tankful in between changes, and see what each change does to your mileage.

To know if its hooked up correctly, you should first measure the signal wire that you are connecting the EFIE to, to be sure it's really the sensor's signal wire. This is covered in the directions. Then you just make sure that you have cut that wire and connected the 2 ends to the correct ports on the EFIEs terminal block.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
01-22-2010 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

Having said that. How will I use it to handle a system with only a front sensor with two wires and no post cat sensor. Wil I use the digital side and lower the voltage or the analog side to increase the signal?
01-26-2010 06:39 AM
mike Offline

Use the digital EFIE. But you're not lowering the voltage to the computer. The Digital EFIE just works differently than analog. But they both make the signal look richer, and the computer then leans the mix to compensate. For a description of how the 2 types of EFIE achieve this, see: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works.

Because of the difference in how the 2 types work, lowering the voltage on a Digital EFIE makes the mix leaner. Raising the voltage on an analog EFIE makes the mix leaner. To keep it simple, the following is always true with our products: Clockwise = more effect (in this case leaner). Counter-clockwise means less effect. That's usually easier to remember.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-26-2010 10:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

(01-26-2010 10:37 AM)mike Wrote:  Use the digital EFIE. But you're not lowering the voltage to the computer. The Digital EFIE just works differently than analog. But they both make the signal look richer, and the computer then leans the mix to compensate. For a description of how the 2 types of EFIE achieve this, see: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works.

Because of the difference in how the 2 types work, lowering the voltage on a Digital EFIE makes the mix leaner. Raising the voltage on an analog EFIE makes the mix leaner. To keep it simple, the following is always true with our products: Clockwise = more effect (in this case leaner). Counter-clockwise means less effect. That's usually easier to remember.

Thanks for the great feedback. I used the digital section and increased the mv to the its max setting. I started at .400mv and did a test good result, de-crease it to 385mv to see what kind of reaction I get. The mpg decrease by 2mpg, increased it to 415mv better result. Doing this I noticed a 4mpg increase per 30mv I increase the EFIE. So I max it out to the .450mv and the gain was even better. My question is how far can I turn the pot beyond the max setting. I would like to reached .500mv which is the ideal setting to achieve "Stoichoimetric" for this application I am working on.
01-29-2010 07:03 AM
mike Offline

Wow. Something isn't right here. The digital section should not be giving you improvement at that setting. 450 mv should be a flat setting which should give you no change. You shouldn't see change until you start lowering the voltage. 425 mv should be almost no change. And as you go lower, you'll get more change, or more lean.

Are you sure you're not using the analog section. Please double check the diagram of the green terminal block which tells you which wire goes into each terminal. The top 2 EFIEs are digital (upstream), and the bottom 2 EFIEs are the analog (downstream).

Also, tell me which vehicle this is. Something is not working correctly about all of this. Oh, and another thing, how many miles do you have on the sensor? If the sensor is shot, the EFIE may be making it appear to be alive, and allowing the engine to go into closed loop. This would give an increase in mileage. But if so, a new sensor would give you an even greater increase in mileage. Possibly much greater.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-29-2010 02:04 PM
koya1893 Offline

(01-29-2010 02:04 PM)mike Wrote:  Wow. Something isn't right here. The digital section should not be giving you improvement at that setting. 450 mv should be a flat setting which should give you no change. You shouldn't see change until you start lowering the voltage. 425 mv should be almost no change. And as you go lower, you'll get more change, or more lean.

Are you sure you're not using the analog section. Please double check the diagram of the green terminal block which tells you which wire goes into each terminal. The top 2 EFIEs are digital (upstream), and the bottom 2 EFIEs are the analog (downstream).

Also, tell me which vehicle this is. Something is not working correctly about all of this. Oh, and another thing, how many miles do you have on the sensor? If the sensor is shot, the EFIE may be making it appear to be alive, and allowing the engine to go into closed loop. This would give an increase in mileage. But if so, a new sensor would give you an even greater increase in mileage. Possibly much greater.

Mike,

Here are the photos I mentioned in the PM I sent you.
02-06-2010 03:46 PM