Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dimmer switch
noahb Offline

Dimmer switch
I have a possibly silly question.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a 120V AC 300watt dimmer switch in place of a PWM on a 12V HHO circuit that draws 15 amps max. I'm not really sure how well the dimmer switch would handle the translation to 12V so I thought I'd see if anyone could enlighten me to the possible consequences.
12-24-2011 01:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Dimmer switch
(12-24-2011 01:17 AM)noahb Wrote:  I have a possibly silly question.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a 120V AC 300watt dimmer switch in place of a PWM on a 12V HHO circuit that draws 15 amps max. I'm not really sure how well the dimmer switch would handle the translation to 12V so I thought I'd see if anyone could enlighten me to the possible consequences.

I'm afraid that won't work. A dimmer switch uses an A/C signal. You have 12 volts DC. I suppose if you were really ambitious you could open up your alternator and pick up the AC, before it is rectified. You'd have to run some wires out of your alternator, and then that might work. I don't know if the lower voltage would be a problem for the dimmer or not. But here's an article on how the dimmers work: http://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch2.htm

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-26-2011 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply