Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I have a problem with this dry cell
jbalat Offline

Do I have a problem with this dry cell
Because Carbon is conductive I think I have an issue with the electrolyte conducting to the carbon covers and then through the bolts

From any bolt I get 1.41v to the +ve terminal(s) and 10.76v to the negative terminal(s)

It is bubbling away happily but am I losing efficiency ???

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2010 02:41 AM by jbalat.)
04-12-2010 02:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zipstor Offline

RE: Do I have a problem with this dry cell
You might want to insulate your covers from the electrolyte. However if the covers are not connected to power I reckon it should be fine.. Have you done any output tests? Is it your design? It looks interesting, can you show us some more about it?

>> http://brownsgas.com
04-12-2010 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

Yeh its my design

This is without the Carbon Fibre using bread cutting board but too many leaks... Check out the Youtube..

Looks like more output though than it has now ?

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-HHO-woe...7#pid31187
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2010 06:02 PM by jbalat.)
04-12-2010 06:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zipstor Offline

So you're an Aussie... I knew it at the minute I recognized the wires and the fittings from Jaycar...

After seeing your video it seems that you are on a good track... Bread cutting boards for end plates... thats pure genius I have to admit, and great output that's for sure.. Have you done any mmw calculations?

I'm curious to see the shape of your electrodes.. do you have a drawing of them somewhere or maybe a photo?

And where exactly are you from? NSW?

04-12-2010 10:51 PM
jbalat Offline

Yeh I'm from Melbourne and its very hard to find the parts you need. All bunnings has is some Gardening type fittings without flanges so they are very hard to seal.

Please see a photo of a typical inner plate. The outer electrodes are the same size without the corner missing. These were plates I had from my Smack II cell which I modified (about 170mm x 70mm). Note the amount of harsh scratching using a hole saw by hand...

I still think I need to insulate the plates since the current is making its way from the electrolyte through the carbon then through the bolt to the other side causing a short circuit.

If I were to start over I would use 10mm perspex sheet for the covers.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2010 02:51 AM by jbalat.)
04-13-2010 02:48 AM
Zipstor Offline

For fittings and hoses I recommand Pirtek. They are all over the place and they know their shit. Very helpfull. You may want to try their range of "push in" fittings, a bit more eypensive than barb ones but much more practical. As well as if you need a good pwm unit, I can hook you up on my friend Allen his stuff rocks a 100%. Now concerning end plates, I found perspex to expensive and will definitely use that pitted steel sheet from bunnings for my car's generator. Did you get your plates laser cut? Do you have a diagram with dimensions? I think I'm going to use the same design for a small unit..

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2010 05:39 PM by Zipstor.)
04-13-2010 05:32 PM
jbalat Offline

I actually got my plates sheared by a local supplier.

Sure they were a little warped but when I scraped them with my hole saw they got much worse. Less than 1 minute of hand bending and panel beating and they were flat again.

Cost me 60$ for the lot. Then I cut the corners off myself with a small ryobi bandsaw and filed the edge flat. Dimensions are as stated above. The corners were just enough to allow for the rounded head of a 6mm bolt which I used through the rectangular shaped electrodes at each end.

3 sets of plates x 6 plates per stack (1mm thk)

I have made up a propeller board to modify my maf airflow. It has many spare channels which I was hoping to use to drive a mosfet.. So if your friend can do the fet and power board I can easily feed it a 3v or 5v pulse from my board ? I was also thinking of using a temperature sensor to control its duty cycle.
04-13-2010 07:19 PM
Zipstor Offline

Ask him. His email is fiero128@gotalk.net.au

The hole you made is for the gas to get out isn't it. If there is no hole at the bottom how do you get the liquids to equalize?

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2010 03:54 AM by Zipstor.)
04-14-2010 02:38 AM
jbalat Offline

(04-14-2010 02:38 AM)Zipstor Wrote:  The hole you made is for the gas to get out isn't it. If there is no hole at the bottom how do you get the liquids to equalize.
2 holes !! Pay no attention to the black foam gasket.. It was useless. I am now using silicon rubber. Its been very much a learning experience. I found 1 million ways not to make a dry cell

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1358]
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2010 03:21 AM by jbalat.)
04-14-2010 03:19 AM
Zipstor Offline

Very inspiring...

Not pulsing the current at all? How do you go after an hour at 20A? Not overheating?

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2010 04:00 AM by Zipstor.)
04-14-2010 03:57 AM