Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do MAP Sensor EFIE's work as well?
dharma Offline

Do MAP Sensor EFIE's work as well?
I have a MAP sensor on my 1998 Honda Civic, and am considering buying an EFIE that leans the mixture through the MAP sensor unit. Has anyone tried this MAP sensor EFIE method, and if so, does it work as well as the ones for O2 Sensors?
06-12-2008 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Do MAP Sensor EFIE's work as well?
I'm sorry, but I'm not following you. An EFIE works with an oxygen sensor only. Not a MAP sensor. It's perfectly valid to do handlings on the MAP as well as adding an EFIE to the oxygen sensor. They work together to achieve better results than the EFIE by itself. But they are separate sensors, and require different handlings for each.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-13-2008 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owen1969 Offline

Hey Mike, The electronics are very confusing starting out, I ordered my delux single for the NEON as you recommended, do I also need something for the map of maf sensor? or if there is even one? I have the book(haynes) on this car if you can tell me what to look for. Like I said very new to eletronics have no idea. I seen these things on ebay, they any good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0233113615 . and does it need one? Also you said the 7.3 diesel I have needs NO efie, does it have map or maf whatever they are called? I have NO book for this truck,cannot find one , Thanks John McPhail

mike Wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not following you. An EFIE works with an oxygen sensor only. Not a MAP sensor. It's perfectly valid to do handlings on the MAP as well as adding an EFIE to the oxygen sensor. They work together to achieve better results than the EFIE by itself. But they are separate sensors, and require different handlings for each.
06-14-2008 12:19 AM
mike Offline

I'm pretty sure it's just a pot. You would be better using http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

You can use the EFIE by itself (with your HHO gen) and you'll get good results. YOu can get even better results by modding the IAT and the MAF as per the above article. But these aren't necessary. The EFIE is.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-14-2008 01:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HHOe Offline

You dont need an efie for your map sensor. all you are doing is adding resistance with a pot. I have a simple schematic for that. Hope this helps

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-14-2008 05:40 AM
colchiro Offline

HHOe, 50k pot, 33k ohm resistor?

Hiddengiant is using the one on the left, without the high/low switch.

If I was going to use the dual pot setup, I'd use a rotary switch.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2008 06:49 AM by colchiro.)
06-14-2008 06:47 AM
HHOe Offline

colchiro Wrote:HHOe, 50k pot, 33k ohm resistor?

you can use what ever you would like. im just helping point into a direction. I use the two pots; one for city; one for highway. personally, i prefer this set up.

2001 Chevy S-10 2.2 5 speed
22-23 before
27-33 after
06-14-2008 07:51 AM
owen1969 Offline

Thank-you for your post HHOe , I appreciate what your saying , Problem is that I am a steam-fitter/welder by trade, and have not read a schematic in my life(iso's no problem) Is there anywhere you know to learn to read these prints-schematics? I see there are many diffrent versions of these on the net but I might as well be trying to read arabic. I dont understand but I learn fast if there is a place anyone knows to learn about schematcis?
HHOe Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:HHOe, 50k pot, 33k ohm resistor?

you can use what ever you would like. im just helping point into a direction. I use the two pots; one for city; one for highway. personally, i prefer this set up.
06-15-2008 08:34 AM
owen1969 Offline

Thanks Mike , Thats page was awesome , Opened my eyes to everything in "small bites" as you say. Awesome. One question thou, My diesel seems to be a little smelly lately, I was wondering a few weeks ago if the cat converter was partially clogged,as you stated, How can you tell? I figured it was either that or something wrong with the injectors, Not sure if it could be anything else But sure stinks, you have any idea if that sounds like what it could be? No senser lights on (check eng) just not the way it was, Being a diesel and no plugs wires etc Im not really sure what to do about tuning up, Finally found a book for it but cant get over to the states to pick it up till next week,(we live minutes from border so it's nice, Thanks again

mike Wrote:I'm pretty sure it's just a pot. You would be better using http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

You can use the EFIE by itself (with your HHO gen) and you'll get good results. YOu can get even better results by modding the IAT and the MAF as per the above article. But these aren't necessary. The EFIE is.
06-15-2008 08:42 AM
mike Offline

I'm actually not a mechanic and don't know the answer to this question. But I can tell you that if you have something wrong mechanically that is causing unburnt fuel to pass through the exhaust system, then you will be partially or wholly defeating your fuel saving efforts until you get that corrected.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-17-2008 08:46 AM