Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dodge cummins 2003
spinlocker Offline

Dodge cummins 2003
I have a 2003 6spd Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel. Over the past 2 years, I have built and tried the ss wire units, smacks, and my own designs using from 2 to 48 plates in various configurations. I have come up with a design that is finally suitable for me, it runs cool, doesn't leak, puts out a decent amount of HHO for the amps, and I don't have to mess with it all the time. The mpg improved 30%. I will describe some details and attach pics of my build.

As I said, I've built units. Always something negative about any build. The ss wire units didn't put out enough gas, the smacks always were a maintanence issue, or an air leak issue, or a heat issue. I tried building box units, not using plexiglass, always had some leak issue. One day I thought about trying an ammo box. Air tight, tough. At first I built a 42 plate unit (which I ran all last year), in configuration -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+. Wanted to split it into separate units, what better way to isolate easily than using a dead car battery and wondered....yes, it fix inside the ammo box!

The top of the battery case was cut using a hacksaw blade. Came off easily. I then cleaned out the guts and proceeded to build the ss arrays. I used parts from all my other 'tinkering'; ss wall plates, nylon bolts and washers, straps from ss hose clamps, ss bolts, ss washers, and hose fittings, old bubbler. Finding an ammo box was a real pain, ended up ordering that online.

Wiring I had already established. I used one of the intake heater relays, as I don't run the heaters, for supplying power to the HHO unit via 12gauge 3 strand solid copper. I have an inline amp meter: google 'watts up' to find. Power is connected to the ignition, and I use a self resetable 30amp breaker plus a master power on switch, and an LED to tell me power is really getting to the box. I also discovered the Dodge will start and run just fine with one battery. The ammo box dimensions are nearly the same as a battery.

I built 6 'arrays' for the HHO unit. Each array is "+ - + - + -". Result is splitting the 14volts from the truck into 6 cells. Each grid is connected using ss straps from hose clamps. Each grid plate is separated by a 5/16" nylon washers, similar to the hardware used to put a smack unit together. Bolts are nylon 5/16". They are cut to length so the entire 6 array unit fits snuggly down in each battery box cell space. I use high temp copper silicone seal to seal up the fittings. On each power bolt coming through the top, I insulated using a small piece of tubing.

Gas production good. Amp use is low. The only issue I have is that I have to mix $6 of KOH into the water to the point of saturation to get the amps up (5.5amps on a 100 degree day). I estimate the unit produces 1-1.5 lpm.

At 45-50mph on level road, the 'lie o meter' in the truck indicates 40mpg. Driving 'normally', 65-70mph interstate, 28-32mpg, proven at the gas pump. Without the HHO the overall mpg is low 20s. I also have a k&n filter, use synthetics front to back, have a banks 6 gun power unit, 4" flowthru exhaust, and a rokk crankshaft advance timing sensor.
Continuing:
I can send anyone a short video of the bubbler in action. mada_dodad@yahoo.com

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2010 11:33 AM by spinlocker.)
06-08-2010 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dantec Offline

RE: Dodge cummins 2003
(06-08-2010 11:27 AM)spinlocker Wrote:  I have a 2003 6spd Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel. Over the past 2 years, I have built and tried the ss wire units, smacks, and my own designs using from 2 to 48 plates in various configurations. I have come up with a design that is finally suitable for me, it runs cool, doesn't leak, puts out a decent amount of HHO for the amps, and I don't have to mess with it all the time. The mpg improved 30%. I will describe some details and attach pics of my build.

As I said, I've built units. Always something negative about any build. The ss wire units didn't put out enough gas, the smacks always were a maintanence issue, or an air leak issue, or a heat issue. I tried building box units, not using plexiglass, always had some leak issue. One day I thought about trying an ammo box. Air tight, tough. At first I built a 42 plate unit (which I ran all last year), in configuration -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+. Wanted to split it into separate units, what better way to isolate easily than using a dead car battery and wondered....yes, it fix inside the ammo box!

The top of the battery case was cut using a hacksaw blade. Came off easily. I then cleaned out the guts and proceeded to build the ss arrays. I used parts from all my other 'tinkering'; ss wall plates, nylon bolts and washers, straps from ss hose clamps, ss bolts, ss washers, and hose fittings, old bubbler. Finding an ammo box was a real pain, ended up ordering that online.

Wiring I had already established. I used one of the intake heater relays, as I don't run the heaters, for supplying power to the HHO unit via 12gauge 3 strand solid copper. I have an inline amp meter: google 'watts up' to find. Power is connected to the ignition, and I use a self resetable 30amp breaker plus a master power on switch, and an LED to tell me power is really getting to the box. I also discovered the Dodge will start and run just fine with one battery. The ammo box dimensions are nearly the same as a battery.

I built 6 'arrays' for the HHO unit. Each array is "+ - + - + -". Result is splitting the 14volts from the truck into 6 cells. Each grid is connected using ss straps from hose clamps. Each grid plate is separated by a 5/16" nylon washers, similar to the hardware used to put a smack unit together. Bolts are nylon 5/16". They are cut to length so the entire 6 array unit fits snuggly down in each battery box cell space. I use high temp copper silicone seal to seal up the fittings. On each power bolt coming through the top, I insulated using a small piece of tubing.

Gas production good. Amp use is low. The only issue I have is that I have to mix $6 of KOH into the water to the point of saturation to get the amps up (5.5amps on a 100 degree day). I estimate the unit produces 1-1.5 lpm.

At 45-50mph on level road, the 'lie o meter' in the truck indicates 40mpg. Driving 'normally', 65-70mph interstate, 28-32mpg, proven at the gas pump. Without the HHO the overall mpg is low 20s. I also have a k&n filter, use synthetics front to back, have a banks 6 gun power unit, 4" flowthru exhaust, and a rokk crankshaft advance timing sensor.
Continuing:

Very nice. Do u run a ECM enhancer ?
08-11-2012 03:09 PM
timruger1 Offline

I have been struggling with a system I purchased for two years. i have seen zero gains with it. I am contacting you as you have the only other dsl truck that i have see with a HHO.

Mine is a 97 powerstroke not exactly the same but similar in function. Was there anything particular you did to achieve gains?
11-30-2012 05:48 AM
tinman2020 Offline

With a little thoght this could make a good dry cell design,
03-17-2013 12:38 PM
mybrid Offline

Rolleyes RE: Dodge cummins 2003
(11-30-2012 05:48 AM)timruger1 Wrote:  I have been struggling with a system I purchased for two years. i have seen zero gains with it. I am contacting you as you have the only other dsl truck that i have see with a HHO.

Mine is a 97 powerstroke not exactly the same but similar in function. Was there anything particular you did to achieve gains?
Hi,
try vancouver Island eco fuel. They have 2 videos.one being a dyno test.
the second is a test done at a govt. of BC testing facility for emissions.
They claim 40mpg. Quite believable people. I am planning to phone them and if I learn anything that sounds fishy I will report back
03-17-2013 03:37 PM
Milton Park Offline

(06-08-2010 11:27 AM)spinlocker Wrote:  I have a 2003 6spd Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel. Over the past 2 years, I have built and tried the ss wire units, smacks, and my own designs using from 2 to 48 plates in various configurations. I have come up with a design that is finally suitable for me, it runs cool, doesn't leak, puts out a decent amount of HHO for the amps, and I don't have to mess with it all the time. The mpg improved 30%. I will describe some details and attach pics of my build.

Continuing:

Very beautifully portrayed here with clear images too. I am still a noob in the vehicular sector and have been taking online help to keep may cars ticking well and good. I have this site http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/engi...guide.html which I consult now and then to carry otu repairs and maintenance by myself. Since I cannot afford a mechanic and I believe I can do simple stuff myself.
05-30-2013 02:41 AM
wyliew4g Offline

(11-30-2012 05:48 AM)timruger1 Wrote:  I have been struggling with a system I purchased for two years. i have seen zero gains with it. I am contacting you as you have the only other dsl truck that i have see with a HHO.

I am just now beginning an install on a 97 PSD. This time I have a guy with HHO experience to help, albeit on an 05 Tundra, not a diesel.
I know one issue with the diesel is getting a suction for the HHO to get into the airstream. Did you come up with a means to accomplish this?
I was planning to slant it into the air intake near the bracket that fastens to the engine. Let me know if that should work, or you have a better system.
Also, did you do anything with the MAP sensor?
10-09-2013 06:20 PM