Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Don't use F Fluorine of any type in Electrolyte
rudagray Offline
Collaboration is the Key to Success!

Exclamation Don't use F Fluorine of any type in Electrolyte
DO NOT USE...Shocked

as I was researching and asking about different Electrolyte options Shy ...I stumbled onto seeing that Polycarbonate material had some safe substances to use with, but also some that will damage it...
NaOH damages Polycarbonate material Sad, but was considering that as my container rather than glass...sorry to digress

I saw that Hydrofluoric acid is OK with Polycarbonate, then after further looking for safer substance came across NaF, used in insecticides and even toothpaste or car washing materials...

But then found that if the electrolysis process might make Fluorine GAS as Clourine GAS is made from NaCl...THIS IS BAD STUFF, Don't breathe in Clourine gas at all, and you really do not want to even make or mess with Fluorine at all- read on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine_gas

"Even in dark, cool conditions, fluorine reacts explosively with hydrogen. The reaction with hydrogen occurs even at extremely low temperatures, using liquid hydrogen and solid fluorine. It is so reactive that metals, and even water, as well as other substances, burn with a bright flame in a jet of fluorine gas. It is far too reactive to be found in elemental form. In moist air it reacts with water to form also-dangerous hydrofluoric acid."

WANTED to share what I found before someone not researching as much as I had may be attempting something...

I'm sticking with Distilled water and different concentrations of NaOH for now Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2008 10:02 PM by rudagray.)
07-24-2008 10:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevekos7 Offline

RE: Don't use F Fluorine of any type in Electrolyte
rudagray Wrote:DO NOT USE...Shocked

as I was researching and asking about different Electrolyte options Shy ...I stumbled onto seeing that Polycarbonate material had some safe substances to use with, but also some that will damage it...
NaOH damages Polycarbonate material Sad, but was considering that as my container rather than glass...sorry to digress

I saw that Hydrofluoric acid is OK with Polycarbonate, then after further looking for safer substance came across NaF, used in insecticides and even toothpaste or car washing materials...

But then found that if the electrolysis process might make Fluorine GAS as Clourine GAS is made from NaCl...THIS IS BAD STUFF, Don't breathe in Clourine gas at all, and you really do not want to even make or mess with Fluorine at all- read on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorine_gas

"Even in dark, cool conditions, fluorine reacts explosively with hydrogen. The reaction with hydrogen occurs even at extremely low temperatures, using liquid hydrogen and solid fluorine. It is so reactive that metals, and even water, as well as other substances, burn with a bright flame in a jet of fluorine gas. It is far too reactive to be found in elemental form. In moist air it reacts with water to form also-dangerous hydrofluoric acid."

WANTED to share what I found before someone not researching as much as I had may be attempting something...

I'm sticking with Distilled water and different concentrations of NaOH for now Big Grin

Ditto. I used to be a carpet cleaner. One product that was very effective in removing rust stains was Hydrofluoric Acid. It is now banned. It eats skin and FLESH and is very hard to treat medically. It even etches glass, yet if you get it on you it is likely you won't realize you are infected for quite awhile because it only produces a mild irritation until it is too late. Flouride is safe in very low doses but converts to other nasty stuff easily by reaction.

Stay with NaOH or KOH. We keep reading it and saying it.
07-24-2008 10:10 PM
hoozadoctor Offline

Fluoride ??

now you had got me thinking, our tap water here has fluoride in it. does that mean we really should keep away from tap water even in the bubbler ??
07-25-2008 03:57 AM
Atfab Offline

I used to be in semiconductor manufacturing, they used a lot of hydrofluoric acid.

Bad stuff it will etch even very high, quartz content glass.

In high concentrations it kills the nerves if you get it on you and it spreads quickly. What it touches is dead, they can only stop it from spreading by injecting a thick neutralizer above the site.

I don't believe the floride in the water is enough to cause a problem but some Chemical Engineer might have a better idea.

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
07-25-2008 05:20 AM
stevekos7 Offline

Flouride in tap water is supposed to be safe because it is in very low doses. But you should only use distilled water in electrolyzers. In a bubbler it is safe to use tap water, unless you have a flow-back system to keep your electrolyzer topped up.
07-27-2008 06:40 PM