Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Downstream Oxygen Sensors - Results
mtnhillsman Offline

RE: Downstream Oxygen Sensors - Results
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5l (4 cyl)

My vehicle has 2 O2 sensors, the first is a 5 wire wideband, the 2nd is a narrowband. Turns out the 2nd sensor does definitely play a role in fuel management.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p1146.htm

This was one of the codes i would get initially when only 1 efie was installed on the primary sensor. The information in that link further illustrated my original suspisions.

After injecting 1.5-2 lpm and modding only the first sensor i had no mileage results. After that i made adjustments to my MAF, IAT and secondary o2 sensor at the same time(all adjustable from inside the vehicle while driving). Its hard to say what my success was as a result of but i know the downstream o2 sensor definitely played a role.

After having all these sensor mods and seeing mileage results (40-45 mpg from a usual 30) from haphazard settings i wanted a little more clarity. I've been testing while logging all data making one change at a time. I started with the 2 efie's, injected 1.5 lpm and adjusted the first efie until my fuel trims read around -5 to -10. At this point the 2nd sensor read 0.000 on my scanner, adjusted that up to what the ECU wanted to see based on a straight factory test. In this configuration i saw no mileage gains at all.

So, my point being the 2nd sensor did play a role, without modding it my fuel trims were all over the place and i woudl get a CEL after a short time. However mileage gains were not seen until modifying all of the mentioned sensors. I suspect it has to do with the "load" on the engine being reduced when adjusting the MAF value.
02-19-2009 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Hi mtnhillsman,

What kind of EFIE do you have on that upstream sensor? Are you using a FuelSaver-MPG Wide Band EFIE? Or are you using a narrow band type of EFIE?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-20-2009 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mtnhillsman Offline

(02-20-2009 08:01 AM)mike Wrote:  Hi mtnhillsman,

What kind of EFIE do you have on that upstream sensor? Are you using a FuelSaver-MPG Wide Band EFIE? Or are you using a narrow band type of EFIE?

Yes, it's the dual wideband EFIE you sell here.
02-20-2009 08:19 AM
mike Offline

Ok, thanks. This is the first vehicle I've heard of that needed to do MAF and temp sensors as well as oxygen sensors to get good results. It's good to know.

Most people have done very well with just the Wide Band EFIE. We've turned up some Hondas that had a sensor after the 3-way cat that needed to be treated with a narrow band EFIE. But that handled the situation without having to do MAF and temp sensors.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-20-2009 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyJoey Offline

Anybody get any results yet with Dodge trucks that have had the front and rear O2 sensors treated with EFIEs?
06-12-2009 04:23 PM
mike Offline

(06-12-2009 04:23 PM)CrazyJoey Wrote:  Anybody get any results yet with Dodge trucks that have had the front and rear O2 sensors treated with EFIEs?

Oh, yes definitely. Search on Dodge. Most of the threads about them are concerning the downstream sensor issue, or the 2.5 volt reference. But treating all 4 sensors has been quite successful.

Haha, I was just about to tell you about your own vehicle! I just noticed that I'm answering up to CrazyJoe. I guess this is for the other forum folks: Without fine tuning you're at 166% using a pair of Dual EFIE Deluxe on all 4 sensors on a 2009 Dodge pickup.

I just found out that Fedex dropped the ball on the modified Quad Digital EFIE we sent you. I think you coulda got even better mileage with it.

Visit Our Documents Page
06-13-2009 01:21 PM
bambos Offline

Hi mike I have a Rav 4 2007 2.4 motor
I have my computer plugged into the OBDII connector .
The O2 sensor and the AFR must also act as a temperature Gauge to the ECU as well because I can READ the temperatures on both of my catalytic converters.
There is no other sensor on the catalytic converters. The more voltage I put into the down stream O2 sensor the temperature Decreases ?
Has this got anything to do with not getting any improvements with OBD II ?
It seems like I have to do a lot more research I may have to increase the sensors temperature by rapping it up ?
I have been in the game for 25 years I am not making it up.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2009 04:39 AM by bambos.)
06-14-2009 03:38 AM
mike Offline

(06-14-2009 03:38 AM)bambos Wrote:  Hi mike I have a Rav 4 2007 2.4 motor
I have my computer plugged into the OBDII connector .
The O2 sensor and the AFR must also act as a temperature Gauge to the ECU as well because I can READ the temperatures on both of my catalytic converters.
There is no other sensor on the catalytic converters. The more voltage I put into the down stream O2 sensor the temperature Decreases ?
Has this got anything to do with not getting any improvements with OBD II ?
It seems like I have to do a lot more research I may have to increase the sensors temperature by rapping it up ?
I have been in the game for 25 years I am not making it up.

I've never heard of anyone having any success by wrapping their oxygen sensors. The computer must be interpolating the temp from the sensor's oxygen readings, or from the difference between the front and rear sensors. But it isn't an issue. If you properly treat the front and rear sensors, then you will be fine.

Have you looked at our HHO System Debug Checklist? I'm assuming you're using our wide band EFIE on the front sensors? I would get a FuelSaver-MPG wide band EFIE, and narrow band EFIE on the rear sensors. Then I would get a MAF enhancer on, as per A Simple MAF/MAP Enhancer. Assuming you have done the checklist and have all those points in, you should get excellent fuel mileage results.

If you're not getting mileage on your Rav4, you might want to just start a new thread and tell us all the data you have on it. There aren't that many things that can go wrong.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2009 09:00 AM by mike.)
06-14-2009 10:59 AM
Oriol Offline

Hello Guys,
Ford E-150 cargo van, V8, 4.6 L
I just installed my HHo a week ago it seems to be working good, I also installed a dual digital EFIE that I bought here it is set at 0.150 V the engine is running smooth, I still have to fill up the tank again to find out if I am saving some gas, the only thing is that my engine light is still ON, do you thing that I have to use another EFIE for the downstream sensor, I am planing to check the PCM in an autostore first.
07-18-2009 07:37 PM
colchiro Offline

You should have that code read and find out what causing it.

Many auto parts stores will read a code for free, but I'd call to confirm first.

Once you know what the code is, we should be able to tell you what it means. As long as that light is on, there's a good chance your engine will run smooth and your mileage will be worse, rather than better so I'd do it soon.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-18-2009 07:46 PM