Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drilling spark plugs
Roland Jacques Offline

Drilling spark plugs
I've read many places that drilling spark plug outer electrodes and cuping inner electrodes to improve MPG. Does any body here have any feed back on this?

It does not sound easy to me drilling 1/16" hole in a narrow piece of electrode. That is why i tried to get the Halo plugs instead unfortunately they dont reply to emails and state not in stock for ...
10-14-2009 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ryanrpm Offline

RE: Drilling spark plugs
(10-14-2009 12:53 PM)Roland Jacques Wrote:  I've read many places that drilling spark plug outer electrodes and cuping inner electrodes to improve MPG. Does any body here have any feed back on this?

It does not sound easy to me drilling 1/16" hole in a narrow piece of electrode. That is why i tried to get the Halo plugs instead unfortunately they dont reply to emails and state not in stock for ...

I am currently drilling mine for use in my Tundra. I've heard this only works with copper core plugs because the center electrode is large enough to "dish" out. Use a cobalt bit when drilling the ground post.

Here is a picture.

[Image: gbed_ee2_u6jup.jpg]

I've had to discard one already because my bit went off center. Thankfully these plugs are only a few dollars each.

Purchased! The AquaThrustPlus. Installed on my engine: Tundra 4.7L

[Image: f_emp3hbpw24tm_bcf4d7d.jpg] [Image: f_d32qa8uwm_b9baaff.jpg]

My next mods: Envalve, Vapor Assist.
03-06-2011 08:30 AM
Gary Offline

That, and consider that the way plugs "wear", your center dish will hasten that process. The hole won't hurt much,
but I think you get better results by indexing your plugs.
08-19-2011 05:48 PM
rpatzer Offline

In the past I would instal a "hot" coil and then regap my plugs up to .050 giving it a larger gap to jump resulting in a bigger spark. That would give a better burn- so the theory went -as long as the wires could handle the extra spark and not glow at night.
08-19-2011 07:03 PM
Gary Offline

And that leads to another point - spark leakage. I looked under a guy's hood one night with his engine idling; it looked like a Chinese circus in there! We put new wires on and Voila! - no more leaks. He would have wasted his money on a new set of plugs he didn't need.
On some you get lucky - I checked my Harley for indenting the 2 plugs and didn't need to; they just happened to face the right way, or the factory has this set up on purpose.
08-20-2011 04:01 AM