Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dry Cell Gasket Material Revisited
brandnew Offline

Dry Cell Gasket Material Revisited
I am building a dry cell and would like to revisit the ideal gasket material including the thickness. From the last thread on the matter EPDM material was recommended but not the thickness. My purchased plans call for 1/8 neoprene. It is my understanding that the closer the plates are the better so a thinner gasket material would be better or not? After looking through McMaster Carr I find sheet rubber then I find gasket material. Any comments on which would work the best? The EPDM is listed in the sheet rubber section and has the softness rating of 60, how thick of material should be used for dry cell gaskets? Also maybe this should go on a separate post but I will ask anyway, My plans call for square plates but uses round gaskets. Round gaskets would be easier to cut with a gasket cutting tool but wouldn't square gaskets expose more of the SS plates making the dry cell better? Thanks
03-19-2011 01:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Dry Cell Gasket Material Revisited
EPDM, with a hardness of 60 is fine. So is 1/8" thick. I've seen a number of cells that use that exact spec that work fine. I can't really tell you if thinner material will give more HHO throughput or not. I've just ordered some thinner gaskets that I plan to test to see, but I won't have them for another week or 2.

You are correct in your assessment of the square gaskets. Exposing more plate = more HHO. Round gaskets waste square inches of plate area. The only advantage to round gaskets is that you can often find them stock, whereas the square ones are often custom cut which is too expensive for making one cell.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-19-2011 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brandnew Offline

(03-19-2011 08:01 AM)mike Wrote:  EPDM, with a hardness of 60 is fine. So is 1/8" thick. I've seen a number of cells that use that exact spec that work fine. I can't really tell you if thinner material will give more HHO throughput or not. I've just ordered some thinner gaskets that I plan to test to see, but I won't have them for another week or 2.

You are correct in your assessment of the square gaskets. Exposing more plate = more HHO. Round gaskets waste square inches of plate area. The only advantage to round gaskets is that you can often find them stock, whereas the square ones are often custom cut which is too expensive for making one cell.

What I did read somewhere is that the closer the plates the better the conductivity which results in using less chemical or none at all if the plates can get close enough. My only concern is if the plates get hot and warp that they might touch each other. If they did make contact a fuse should blow but could it arch and blow up the gas making device?
03-19-2011 08:15 AM
Mrbluemoose Offline

I have used shower pan gasket from Home Depot its about $5.39 for 5'x1" it works great my cell puts out great had local shop make a gasket guide for me
05-02-2011 06:34 PM
creepyjon Offline

that shower pan liner stuff is golden, I use it for tons of projects! It's thick enough that it won't get torn up, but thin enough to work with and cut easily. Plus it's cheap, and easy to get! A gasket cutter can be just a piece of steel shaped the way you need it with a sharpened end, shouldn't be too hard to make yourself.
05-03-2011 03:40 PM
comrevkr Offline

(05-03-2011 03:40 PM)creepyjon Wrote:  that shower pan liner stuff is golden, I use it for tons of projects! It's thick enough that it won't get torn up, but thin enough to work with and cut easily. Plus it's cheap, and easy to get! A gasket cutter can be just a piece of steel shaped the way you need it with a sharpened end, shouldn't be too hard to make yourself.
Cool Hey do you have the part number to help with an online search. HD is not a local drive for me in this area. Lowes here doesn't seem to carry such a gasket. Blush

Cool
1994 Mazda B3000 3.0L V-6
400k+ miles and still going strongBig Grin
05-05-2011 12:49 AM
creepyjon Offline

You have to go to the store, it's sold by the linear foot in bulk and someone needs to cut it for you. Just walk in and ask for shower pan liner, they will know what it is if they work in that department. Lowes does carry it but they sell it all folded up in a bag something around 6 square feet. But if you buy it from them you need to let it set out in the sun for a few days to get all the folds out of it, so your better off getting it from home depot. Online link to lowes stuff if you must get it from them:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_20088-138-41630_...an%2Bliner
05-05-2011 05:37 PM
comrevkr Offline

Cool RE: Dry Cell Gasket Material Revisited
Big Grin I found it at lowes, and it was in the roll. $6.22 a foot. 40mil. Got 2 feet of it, so I can start the build of my bigger cell. Cool

Cool
05-13-2011 06:39 PM
abe Offline

(05-13-2011 06:39 PM)comrevkr Wrote:  Big Grin I found it at lowes, and it was in the roll. $6.22 a foot. 40mil. Got 2 feet of it, so I can start the build of my bigger cell. Cool

If you want to try something cool. While your useing thin gaskets like that .Try about 7 packs of line cool aid in a pint of water.try this as a eletrolite.you might have to use a few less n plates but it wont burn you or put an eye out. Good Luck
05-14-2011 11:30 AM
comrevkr Offline

Cool RE: Dry Cell Gasket Material Revisited
If you want to try something cool. While your useing thin gaskets like that .Try about 7 packs of line cool aid in a pint of water.try this as a eletrolite.you might have to use a few less n plates but it wont burn you or put an eye out. Good Luck
[/quote]

Cool I think you meant( lime kool aid ). Blush But any way I think I pick some up next time in store. I been trying something different. This year the new diesels are coming out with a new system to burn off the exhaust and clean up the air. This stuff they inject into the exhaust. I am mixing it and gave it a try and so far with 1/2 gal of water, 3cups of naoh (mixed 14 tablespoons to 1gal of h2o) and 3cups of DEF (diesel exhaust fluid {pig pee} $4.99/gal @ O'reillys Wink ), the system pulled about 8 amps at 1/4 lpm of HHO. Wink
[NOTE: I use a lawnmower battery and 50amp charger for power supply, Big Grin My Truck power is a whole lot hotter(1000amp battery and 130amp alterator) Big Grin ]
After I finish with truck today, I will be testing the tranny swap and new exhaust. All the details of this mod will be in my post ( I'm Back) with pics there. Cool

Cool
05-15-2011 06:14 AM