Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dry Cell Questions
cmac0351 Offline

Dry Cell Questions
1. Why use multiple cell blocks like -nnnnn+nnnnn-? What is the advantage of using more than 7 plates -nnnnn+? More plates, more production, more amps, right?

2. Why are people concerned with surface area so much? For example, I read a post where someone was going to reduce his gasket size to get more surface area. Does it matter? Won't more surface area draw more current? Production goes up, so does amperage, but efficiency stays the same?
12-23-2008 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hygear Offline

RE: Dry Cell Questions
cmac0351 Wrote:1. Why use multiple cell blocks like -nnnnn+nnnnn-? What is the advantage of using more than 7 plates -nnnnn+? More plates, more production, more amps, right?

2. Why are people concerned with surface area so much? For example, I read a post where someone was going to reduce his gasket size to get more surface area. Does it matter? Won't more surface area draw more current? Production goes up, so does amperage, but efficiency stays the same?

Sounds like you need to study the technology in a little more depth.Most of us here and on other forums have countless hours studying PDFS and other docs that is really nescessary to be sucessful in building and installing a working HHO system.Here is some helpful links that have all the answers(or at least most of them).Take time to strum through them so you will have a better working knowledge of how HHO works and why.One very important reason to do this is to learn how to do it safely,because one wrong move and it could mean serious injury.

http://www.panaceauniversity.org/Hydroxy%20Boosters.pdf

http://hhoencyclopedia.net/hho/hho_success.html

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapter10.pdf

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
12-23-2008 01:52 PM
colchiro Offline

[-nnnnn+nnnnn-] is equivalent to 2 of these in parallel: [-nnnnn+], it's just that they are back to back and might share a electrolyte inlet and hho outlet. So it's still 7 plates to a cell and still about 2 volts per set of plates, just twice as many cells.

With dry cells, it's possible to get to the point where you can't get any more output by increasing the concentration so the only solution is to increase surface area. Much easier to adjust the gasket than to build another cell.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-23-2008 02:36 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Hey guys, I have read plenty on how it works. I get that it is 2 cells in parallel. My point or question is this: is it more efficient to have two cells in parallel like that? Won't the amps go up with the production in a direct relationship, or will production be higher in relation to the amps.

I built a little dry cell with just 7 2 x 6 plates that stays cool and gets almost 6 MMW. I am only trying to get 1 liter per minute for small car. So would I do better to add a second cell in parallel?

Cochiro, are you saying with only 7 plates, one can't raise the amp draw as high as they might want to and needs the extra surface area of another parallel cell? That would make sense

colchiro Wrote:[-nnnnn+nnnnn-] is equivalent to 2 of these in parallel: [-nnnnn+], it's just that they are back to back and might share a electrolyte inlet and hho outlet. So it's still 7 plates to a cell and still about 2 volts per set of plates, just twice as many cells.

With dry cells, it's possible to get to the point where you can't get any more output by increasing the concentration so the only solution is to increase surface area. Much easier to adjust the gasket than to build another cell.
12-23-2008 02:54 PM
colchiro Offline

I know many 6x6 dry cells easily do 2 LPM, so trying to get 1 LPM with a 2x6 (a third the surface area) might be a challenge. I suspect part of the problem is dry cells are more confined than a wet cell so as production increases, you reach a point where you can't get the hho out fast enough to let electrolyte come in contact with the plates.

If you reach a plateau in output and increasing the concentration still doesn't help, you need to see what else might help, like inlet/outlet diameters or plate spacing. If that doesn't help, I suspect a second cell (or adding additional plates in parallel to your existing cell) would be warranted.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2008 03:06 PM by colchiro.)
12-23-2008 03:04 PM
hygear Offline

cma having 2 cells in parallel with double both production and unfoutunatly the amps as well.If you tried to run the same cells in series the output would be low as well as the amps.Like Rick said 2x6 plates are kind of small and 6"x6" is an ideal size if you want good adequate output.Even a small motor needs at least 1 LPM per liter of motor displacement.So I guess the answer to your question is yes amps and production will both double with the addition of a second cell in paralell.

7 plates does seem to be the magic number for dry cell designs,8 plates the production drops way off and 6 plates runs too many amps in relation to output quality,you may be making more steam than hydroxy.The important thing is to keep your volts between 2 and 2.5 per plate for the best efficiency.

12-23-2008 04:38 PM
stl_hemi Offline

6x6 bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Run mini's. Smile

Paul
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Hemi Off Road
5" of lift with 35" Super Swamper SSR's

Trucks forsale
Buying a 2010 Ram 3500 Mega CTD Smile
12-23-2008 05:49 PM
colchiro Offline

At least you're running one. Mine's on the bench... to dang cold out. Heat wave coming... supposed to have +5 tomorrow and teens on Christmas. [Image: icon14.gif] Cool

Rick

12-23-2008 07:44 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Yeah, I know everybody is running with bigger plates. My 2 x 6's are plates that I had purchased when I was going to build a PVC smack booster. I changed my mind when I saw how easy Painless put together his Lowes plate dry cell (HHO Forums, youtube).

My first dry cell had a problem with the water level sinking because of gas building up at the top where it couldn't get out fast enough. In my second (untested) cell, I have drilled the outlet holes bigger and have an outlet on both end plates running to separate inputs on the resevior, making it much easier for the gas to leave.
12-23-2008 10:50 PM
hygear Offline

colchiro Wrote:At least you're running one. Mine's on the bench... to dang cold out. Heat wave coming... supposed to have +5 tomorrow and teens on Christmas. [Image: icon14.gif] Cool

Yeaaaaah I guess I'll have to get the sunshine shovel and dig the truck and boat out on Christmas,it's going up to 80 deg.Maybe catch a few fish and work on the suntan. HARHAR

12-24-2008 02:52 AM