Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dry Cell components list (for the beginner)
MadScientist Offline

Dry Cell components list (for the beginner)
I've been working with wet cells and want to try out a dry cell. For those of us just getting started with dry cells, could someone please list the main components needed (cell, bubbler, resevoir, etc.) and the reason for using those components?

One thing that I've wondered about (stupid question time), it looks like a dry cell system is a flow system. Electrolyte flows from the cell to the reservoir and back to the cell. And the gas exits into the bubbler. How does the electrolyte flow if there is no pump? (told you it was a stupid question).

Also, any build diagrams would be very helpful.
12-06-2008 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Dry Cell components list (for the beginner)
Gas is lighter and rises, exiting the top of your cell, creating a slight suction at the bottom. Together this creates a pumping action. Unless you have a very long distance between your cell and bubbler, a pump shouldn't be necessary.

Often a combination reservoir/bubbler is used and this is probably the minimum.

Some people use use a second bubbler or dryer as a second layer of protection.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-06-2008 09:22 PM
live45 Offline

Mad, I would use both the resevoir and bubbler with the cell. That keeps most of the harmful chemicals in your electrolyte out of the engine. Like Rick said the gas does rise, and as it heats up it will take some liquid up with it. It acts something like a thermal pump. I posted some pics of the setup in the truck. I've got some pics also of the one on my bench I built on the cheap. I use it for my test and torture! Showerpan material makes good gaskets. If heat is not a concern, I found some PVC siding material at HOME DEPOT. It's light, not too expensive and 3/4 inch thick. Has a grain finish on one side and smooth as a baby's bottom on the other.                
12-06-2008 10:08 PM
MadScientist Offline

Thanks so much guys.

BUBBLER. Should the inlet (where the HHO/water comes in from the cell) be at the top, so the water drops down into the bubbler, or at the bottom? Should the entire unit be placed higher than the cell? Lower?

RESEVOIR. Same question as above.
12-06-2008 10:41 PM
live45 Offline

The resevoir and the bubbler are both above the cell. Electrolyte exits the bottom of the resevoir and enters the bottom inlet on the cell. The Gas and electrolyte rise from the top outlet of the cell and enter back into the resevoir half way up on the side. The electrolyte is at a higher level so the gas bubbles up through it. The gas then passes over to the bubbler and uses the same principle. From top of resevoir to side of bubbler. I put a PVC rod in top of the bubbler that channels the gas down near the bottom. This way the gas has to rise back up through the water in the bubbler giving it a good cleaning. You could also just plumb into the bubbler half way up, keeping the water level above that point and get the same results
12-06-2008 11:09 PM
DodgeViper Offline

MadScientist Wrote:Thanks so much guys.

BUBBLER. Should the inlet (where the HHO/water comes in from the cell) be at the top, so the water drops down into the bubbler, or at the bottom? Should the entire unit be placed higher than the cell? Lower?

RESEVOIR. Same question as above.

Mad,

I would check out Sid Youngs videos on YouTube... He has about 61 videos. Here is a link to all his videos. He has lots of good information to watch.

Sid Young Videos

[Image: Hydrogen%20Powered.jpg]
2002 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 Ram
4.7L EFI
12-07-2008 09:30 PM