Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dry cell leaking
cmac0351 Offline

Dry cell leaking
I have been having trouble with my hose barbs leaking in the dry cell I am trying to build. I know that makes me sound like such a noob :-)

I have a tap and die set and I am using 3/8 hose barbs. I believe the MIP is listed at 1/4.

What size hole should I drill for that? Is the hole size the problem? Any other reason it might leak? I am using thread seal tape. Is there any other epoxy or thread sealer I could use?
11-03-2008 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hygear Offline

RE: Dry cell leaking
cmac0351 Wrote:I have been having trouble with my hose barbs leaking in the dry cell I am trying to build. I know that makes me sound like such a noob :-)

I have a tap and die set and I am using 3/8 hose barbs. I believe the MIP is listed at 1/4.

What size hole should I drill for that? Is the hole size the problem? Any other reason it might leak? I am using thread seal tape. Is there any other epoxy or thread sealer I could use?

Your barb should be npt thread not mip at least the ones I bought from Lowes were.I used 5 min. epoxy to seal mine months ago and hasn't leaked a drop.I can't remember what size hole I drilled for mine,maybe some one else here knows.Or just experiment with a piece of scrap stock,thats what i did is drill it large enough for the tap to start.It not like you're tapping steel.Another tip is not to run the tap allthe way in,cut just enough that the fitting will thread in all the way,that will also insure a good tight seal.This method works well for me.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
11-03-2008 12:28 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

cmac0351 Wrote:I have been having trouble with my hose barbs leaking in the dry cell I am trying to build. I know that makes me sound like such a noob :-)

For 3/8" fittings, use a 5/16" drill for the clear hole. 1/4" fittings, use a 7/16" drill bit.

What material are you using for your end plates?

Also, some tap and die sets do not have a tap for the 1/4" NPT fitting. Mine didn't and so I had to buy the tap and drill bit set from Irwin. 10.00 bucks!
11-03-2008 12:40 PM
cmac0351 Offline

Yeah, I meant npt, my bad. I have the right one for the hose barb, 1/4" -18 NPT.

My problem must be that I drilled it with a 1/2 inch bit instead of 7/16.

I am using poly cutting boards for end caps. That brings up another question. I think I read somewhere that KOH is bad to use with poly cutting boards. Is it the same for NaOH??

cjpeaceful Wrote:

For 3/8" fittings, use a 5/16" drill for the clear hole. 1/4" fittings, use a 7/16" drill bit.

Also, some tap and die sets do not have a tap for the 1/4" NPT fitting. Mine didn't and so I had to buy the tap and drill bit set from Irwin. 10.00 bucks!
11-03-2008 12:50 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

Most cutting boards are at least HDPE (high density polyethylene). Some are even UHMW (which is even better). These two are resistant to most harsh chemicals - NaOH included.

Now, as far as KOH, both plastics will tolerate concentration levels of 30% or less. So, should we mix the two...I wouldn't.
11-03-2008 01:01 PM
mrbillr Offline

The drill I use for 1/4 npt is 27/64. I know, it is a wierd size. But when I put the tap in the hole gauge that is what size seemed best. As was said, don't run the tap all the way down. That gives some room for the hose barb thread to seal off.
MrBill

cmac0351 Wrote:Yeah, I meant npt, my bad. I have the right one for the hose barb, 1/4" -18 NPT.

My problem must be that I drilled it with a 1/2 inch bit instead of 7/16.

I am using poly cutting boards for end caps. That brings up another question. I think I read somewhere that KOH is bad to use with poly cutting boards. Is it the same for NaOH??

cjpeaceful Wrote:

MrBill
2008 f250 XLT 6.4 diesel 2x4 automatic extended cab
11-03-2008 04:01 PM
Gary Offline

You have recieved exactly the correct information from the fellas. The only thing I can add is that the softness of HDPV allows some expansion, so shorten the tap depth a bit so the fitting will fit snugly. The drill bit size will be the same. Go nutz with tef tape, about 4-5 rounds and it'll seal well.
11-03-2008 04:29 PM
saltmine Offline

After many bouts with leaks at the hose fittings, I discovered that teflon tape is probably the best thing to seal NPT threads. I've tried GOOP, silicon sealer, RTV sealer, PVC adhesive, and epoxy....Nothing seems to work as well as good 'ol teflon tape....Now, if I can just teach myself not to wrap it around the threads backward.....
11-12-2008 11:29 AM