Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dry cell or Wet cell ?
Kev Offline

Exclamation Dry cell or Wet cell ?
Still trying to make up my mind.? Do I go with a dry cell or a wet cell. I'am a bit confused. Your oppinions would be appreciated. Cheers Kev.
11-28-2009 01:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: Dry cell or Wet cell ?
(11-28-2009 01:51 AM)Kev Wrote:  Still trying to make up my mind.? Do I go with a dry cell or a wet cell. I'am a bit confused. Your oppinions would be appreciated. Cheers Kev.

Given the two choices I would go with a dry cell. The series cell design is much more efficient than the parallel plate design. Each cell runs best at about 2 volts. Why hook a 2v cell to a 12 volt source? The cell draws a lot of amperage and produces a lot of heat. A small amount of electrolyte is used to keep the amps and temp down.

If you build a series cell each cell is still about 2v. Now you use 6 cells and your unit works well on a 12v system without a PWM or overheating problems. You can also use a higher concentration of electrolyte which solves any wintertime freezing problems.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
11-28-2009 04:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kev Offline

Wink RE: Dry cell or Wet cell ?
Thanks Alex, I will give that a lot of thought. I would like to get off on the right foot to start with. Dry cell is looking good at this point. What is your opinion of the Punch HHO 7 plate electrolyzer design. Is it a functional setup or could I do better. I will be building my own to ry and save a quid.($).Would I be better off running 2 cells or 1. The mind boggles? Thanks, and hope to get some replies. Cheers Kev
(11-28-2009 04:14 AM)AlexR Wrote:  
(11-28-2009 01:51 AM)Kev Wrote:  Still trying to make up my mind.? Do I go with a dry cell or a wet cell. I'am a bit confused. Your oppinions would be appreciated. Cheers Kev.

Given the two choices I would go with a dry cell. The series cell design is much more efficient than the parallel plate design. Each cell runs best at about 2 volts. Why hook a 2v cell to a 12 volt source? The cell draws a lot of amperage and produces a lot of heat. A small amount of electrolyte is used to keep the amps and temp down.

If you build a series cell each cell is still about 2v. Now you use 6 cells and your unit works well on a 12v system without a PWM or overheating problems. You can also use a higher concentration of electrolyte which solves any wintertime freezing problems.
11-28-2009 11:00 PM
jbalat Offline

Guys, a little off the topic but..

Ive been thinking about surface area. It would be great to scribe the plates with a saw blade and then machine-in a fine grid on both sides to greatly increase surface area. You would need to go for at least 0.080" plates to minimise warping and use flood coolant. I would also go for 316 material to reduce rust/sludge deposits which will be more prone with the sharp edges.. I am also thinking of pumping the water through the cell and somehow running it through a large filter which can be replaced every so often.

I have found that the efficiency in my wet cell drops of dramatically after a few weeks of running. After a good clean it runs like new again..
11-29-2009 02:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kev Offline

(11-29-2009 02:46 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Guys, a little off the topic but..

Ive been thinking about surface area. It would be great to scribe the plates with a saw blade and then machine-in a fine grid on both sides to greatly increase surface area. You would need to go for at least 0.080" plates to minimise warping and use flood coolant. I would also go for 316 material to reduce rust/sludge deposits which will be more prone with the sharp edges.. I am also thinking of pumping the water through the cell and somehow running it through a large filter which can be replaced every so often.

I have found that the efficiency in my wet cell drops of dramatically after a few weeks of running. After a good clean it runs like new again..

Thanks Jbalat! Surface area and texture does seem to play a considerable part in the efficency from what I have read so far. I would like to build my own system but time is my killer, so I might look at bying a complete system and take it from there. Has anybody got any recomendations. Thanks and Cheers to you all. Kev
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2009 09:10 PM by Kev.)
11-29-2009 08:59 PM