Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dual EFIE?
BigDon Offline

Dual EFIE?
I purchased the duel efie deluxe, and have discovered I only needed a single. I have hooked it up per the instructions and have just taped off the blue and brown wires. So my first question is: is this ok even though I'm being a bit wasteful?
Second when testing the o2 sensor, using the efie with the red probe to black port, and black to vehicle ground I show a negative number like -45 to -50 mv is this normal?
As per the instructions then when I turn the efie off I show the above values on the plus side doe's this sound normal?
The schematic I purchased for the vehicle doe's refer to the terminology of the wiring going to these sensor's, as o2 sensors.
2007 chevy colorado 2.9 I4
o2 sensor is four wire, two black, one blue, and one white wire. The white wire is what I've determined is the signal wire, and it turns to beige/white going to the computer. I done a continuity check on this wire at the computer to verify that I had the correct wire, and here connected the white wire going to the computer, and the green wire back to the o2 sensor.
ANy help would be appreciated
Later Don
11-15-2008 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Dual EFIE?
Hi Don. That's a puzzling problem.

I see no problem with taping off the unused wires. The black probe signal should be a rapidly changing voltage between .1 and 1 VDC with the engine running. Is this what you see? Also these voltages are not modified at this connection so you should see the same thing with the efie on or off.

As a precaution, if you check your offset (black probe in black jack, red in red), after 10 minutes of efie warmup, what is your voltage? I'd turn it down to maybe 150 mv or so. It might be higher than this, causing your weird voltage.

Also, how does the engine run with the efie on?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-15-2008 01:13 PM
BigDon Offline

colchiro Wrote:Hi Don. That's a puzzling problem.

I see no problem with taping off the unused wires. The black probe signal should be a rapidly changing voltage between .1 and 1 VDC with the engine running. Is this what you see? Also these voltages are not modified at this connection so you should see the same thing with the efie on or off.

As a precaution, if you check your offset (black probe in black jack, red in red), after 10 minutes of efie warmup, what is your voltage? I'd turn it down to maybe 150 mv or so. It might be higher than this, causing your weird voltage.

Also, how does the engine run with the efie on?

Thanks Rick
No I do not see the rapidly changing voltage Sad However I can see the phenomenon you describe on my scangauge11 since I programmed it to report this information Smile
With the engine running and warmed up and the red in red, black in black efie turned on, my offset is set too 100 and reports as such plus or minus of coarse.
I have rechecked since your response and the results are as follows:
EFIE ON red in black port, black to ground is -120 to -125Mv
EFIE OFF " " -15 to -20Mv
The engine runs fine with the efie turned on, and I can see a difference with the scangauge11 sensor report so I'm sure it's having an effect. However I will note the HOD has been removed until I can figure out this computer.
Thanks Don
11-15-2008 04:09 PM
colchiro Offline

Don, are you connecting your efie under the hood (close to the sensor) or somewhere else?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-15-2008 04:23 PM
BigDon Offline

colchiro Wrote:Don, are you connecting your efie under the hood (close to the sensor) or somewhere else?

I have the efie mounted inside the cab under the dash, and the wires run through a rubber grommet in the firewall to the computer area which is located on the firewall of the passenger side of the vehicle under the hood. I spliced the wire at about 3" from the computer and used heat shrink tubing to finish the job after soldering the splices back together. I actually had it all back apart yesterday when I first wrote to verify that I did have the white wire going to the computer, and the green wire going back to the o2 sensor.
Thanks for the help Don
11-16-2008 06:16 AM
colchiro Offline

So you have traced this wire back to the o2 sensor and are confident this is the correct wire?

Some people have remarked that they had o2 wiring from 3 different sources and all showed different colored wires.

You could also email Bruce for an o2 wiring diagram. You'll find his email address here: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2065

Rick

11-16-2008 03:07 PM
BigDon Offline

colchiro Wrote:So you have traced this wire back to the o2 sensor and are confident this is the correct wire?

Some people have remarked that they had o2 wiring from 3 different sources and all showed different colored wires.

You could also email Bruce for an o2 wiring diagram. You'll find his email address here: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2065

Yes, however the original beige/white wire that I cut didn't pass a continuity test that's when I discovered that I in fact had the wrong wire. Sad Then began looking for another.
Then when I found the other beige/white wire going to the computer, (it go's to the center connector group of wires) It passed the continuity check, so I'm pretty sure I have the correct wire.
Thanks Don
11-17-2008 03:16 PM
colchiro Offline

I thought you probably had the wrong wire. Glad you're on the right track now.

Rick

11-17-2008 03:33 PM
BigDon Offline

colchiro Wrote:I thought you probably had the wrong wire. Glad you're on the right track now.

Thanks Rick
I e-mailed Bruce to see if he had any information on this setup
Later Don
11-18-2008 12:21 PM
colchiro Offline

Ok, please update this thread when you know more.

Rick

11-18-2008 03:03 PM