Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Adjust 2000 Nissan Frontier 2.4L
rich6fam Offline

Sad EFIE Adjust 2000 Nissan Frontier 2.4L
I have a dual can hydro kit with vac. hose at bottom of throttle body. Have an EFIE single installed and am at 240 millivolts and my service engine soon light is on still. It went off at 250 millivolts for a day but the next day the light came back on. Should I extend my oxygen sensor also? How do I check the amps the hydro kit is drawing? It foams and bubbles allot. No better gas mileage yet. Please help. Have a 2000 Nissan Frontier pickup with 2.4 L 4 cyl., auto trans. Car got 24mpg prior to the kit.
05-27-2008 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerronPerformance Offline

RE: EFIE Adjust 2000 Nissan Frontier 2.4L
You have it set too high, I can not imagine the computer accepting anything above 200mv....

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-27-2008 04:52 PM
colchiro Offline

Rich, you aren't sucking liquid into your engine are you?

Do you have a bubbler between your cell and engine?

Can you control the vacuum? Maybe you have too much vacuum on your cell, like a vacuum leak.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2008 04:59 PM by colchiro.)
05-27-2008 04:58 PM
rich6fam Offline

colchiro Wrote:Rich, you aren't sucking liquid into your engine are you?

Do you have a bubbler between your cell and engine?

Can you control the vacuum? Maybe you have too much vacuum on your cell, like a vacuum leak.
No, I'm not sucking liquid. The bubbler is all in one on the HHO mason jar. The vac hose is attached to the bottom of the throttle body with excellent suction. The EFIE is now set at 250 millivolts. I took off the batt. cables and touched them together to reset the computer and the check engine light stayed off for my 20 minute drive to work. I've done everything I know except check my amps at the HHO and have not installed a oxygen sensor spacer yet. What should the millivolts be set to for optimum mixture? Is 250 too lean?

05-28-2008 05:51 AM

I do not think you need the O2 spacer with the EFIE hooked up to the O2, I would guess if the system is working properly then you have the thing set too high and it is causing a lean condition that the knock sensor is detecting and therefore dumping in more fuel(Gasoline).
I see many going to 250 but you have to know what vehicle that is being used on in my opinion. I would say see what it does at 200, if better then increase it to 225 but if the same back down to 150.
Another issue that I am having a hard time keeping up with is what vehicles have a WideBand O2 installed from the factory....and still using the EFIE on one of those might work but usually when you have one of those installed from the factory they have a LEAN CRUISE set up already and could be commanding a 17:1 to 20+:1 AFR when the conditions are met...BUT with the HHO device you are adding more O2 to the stream and need a way to adjust, if the EFIE doesnt work then the spacer might be your answer.

I know this is confusing, or at least it is for me at times b/c I was just shown this 'technology' about 5 days ago and have tried to get all the info I can about it.
The ideas that are being use to trick the computer is fascinating to me, but I also see that many do not understand how the computer interprets and uses the sensor data.....but luckily there is safety mechanisms from the factory that are saving a few people....
rich6fam Wrote:No, I'm not sucking liquid. The bubbler is all in one on the HHO mason jar. The vac hose is attached to the bottom of the throttle body with excellent suction. The EFIE is now set at 250 millivolts. I took off the batt. cables and touched them together to reset the computer and the check engine light stayed off for my 20 minute drive to work. I've done everything I know except check my amps at the HHO and have not installed a oxygen sensor spacer yet. What should the millivolts be set to for optimum mixture? Is 250 too lean?

05-28-2008 06:03 AM
colchiro Offline

If you have an EFIE, you won't need the o2 extender. They do the same thing. The extender is a "poor man's" EFIE. Blush

Anytime I see a lean code and something stuck in the engine's vacuum, I think vacuum leak. I think you're letting too much air into the opening below the throttle body. Possibly you don't have enough hho being produced either.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-28-2008 02:23 PM
rich6fam Offline

I lowered my EFIE ot 175 MV and it seems to be running better but still no improved mileage yet. Maybe I should move the vac. hose to the air intake or PCV hose, but won't that affect my MAP sensor? Lastly, when my water turns brown do I need to replace it or do I just continue filling it up with water and baking soda? Lastly 2, should I bother with xylene in my gas tank and a fuel heater? Please advise. Thanks, Kevin
05-29-2008 07:31 AM
rich6fam Offline

HerronPerformance Wrote:You have it set too high, I can not imagine the computer accepting anything above 200mv....
Thank you for that info. I backed it down to 175 MV and engine likes that better. Where should my vac. hose ideally go? Should I have it on a blank line at the base of my carb, or PVC hose or air intake?
05-29-2008 08:05 AM

I have no real clue as to the best place to put the set up, I just know how the computer works, I have not built one of the HHO systems yet so I am still learning.

how many miles you got on it set at 175? I would give it 50-100 miles to actually show up as a good change, and if that is a positive gain in MPG then I would bump it another 25 until you see deminishing results.

05-29-2008 09:08 AM
rich6fam Offline

HerronPerformance Wrote:I have no real clue as to the best place to put the set up, I just know how the computer works, I have not built one of the HHO systems yet so I am still learning.

how many miles you got on it set at 175? I would give it 50-100 miles to actually show up as a good change, and if that is a positive gain in MPG then I would bump it another 25 until you see deminishing results.
I drove it 22 miles to work at 125MV. Once I got to work I tried to lean it out some more and bumped it up to 175. I check it every day to make sure it is not fluctuating too much. You say bump it 25, is that up or down?
05-29-2008 09:33 AM