Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Check Engine Light.
NeVeRmiNdQ Offline

EFIE Check Engine Light.
I have an EFIE and the "Check Engine Light" came on. Before it came on I was getting really good gas mileage. Now that it is on will it just ignore the reading that it is getting from the O2 sensor which is really the EFIE output, and just give fuel as it pleases?
02-05-2008 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE Check Engine Light.
Probably, unless something just happened to go wrong with the engine at this time. We have to assume that it's the EFIE setting.

Do you have a way to check what the message is? Often you can get a blink code. It depends on the car. If you don't have a manual, try googling on your car make and "blink code", or "engine diagnostic code". Lets be sure it's complaining about the oxygen sensor.

However, if it is the oxygen sensor, then, yes, the computer will ignore it and your fuel savings will not only go away, but you'll probably get worse mileage than when you started.

Probably, you'll have to back it down until the CEL stays off. Note, some cars you have to reset the computer to get the light to go out. If you don't have a diagnostic device to plug in (which I assume you don't or you would've told us what code you'd gotten), then you can disconnect the battery ground for a minute or so. But try and avoid this, see if it's go out on it's own first. Back it off quite a bit, and see if it will go out, then gradually build it back up until the light comes back on, then back it to the last known good position. You should still get good gas mileage here.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-05-2008 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NeVeRmiNdQ Offline

Is it possible that it is still using the readig, bc it seems like it is, I just wanted to make sure.
mike Wrote:Probably, unless something just happened to go wrong with the engine at this time. We have to assume that it's the EFIE setting.

Do you have a way to check what the message is? Often you can get a blink code. It depends on the car. If you don't have a manual, try googling on your car make and "blink code", or "engine diagnostic code". Lets be sure it's complaining about the oxygen sensor.

However, if it is the oxygen sensor, then, yes, the computer will ignore it and your fuel savings will not only go away, but you'll probably get worse mileage than when you started.

Probably, you'll have to back it down until the CEL stays off. Note, some cars you have to reset the computer to get the light to go out. If you don't have a diagnostic device to plug in (which I assume you don't or you would've told us what code you'd gotten), then you can disconnect the battery ground for a minute or so. But try and avoid this, see if it's go out on it's own first. Back it off quite a bit, and see if it will go out, then gradually build it back up until the light comes back on, then back it to the last known good position. You should still get good gas mileage here.
02-06-2008 05:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

It's absolutely possible. I don't know what the CEL is telling us. It could be anything. It just seems likely that it's complaining about the oxygen sensor since it went on when you started using the EFIE. So it probably means it thinks there's a problem with the oxygen sensor. And if so, it will ignore it's data.

One way you can find out, is to continue driving. Your mpg will fall like a shot duck if the computer is ignoring the sensor.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-06-2008 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply