Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Connection
sabre1pc Offline

EFIE Connection
I have a narrowband upstream 4 wire sensor and a narrowband downstream 4 wire sensor. This is what I found.

Denso upstream
White wire (A) 0.2 volts (GM tech sheet says this is the negative signal wire)
Blue wire (B) 0.3-0.9 volts (GM tech sheet says this is the positive signal wire)
Black wire (D) 7-10 volts (GM tech sheets says this is a heater wire)
Black wire (E) 14.4 volts (GM tech sheets says this is a heater wire)

Bosch downstream
Gray wire (A) 0.2 volts (GM tech sheet says this is the negative signal wire)
Black wire (B) 0.95 volts (GM tech sheet says this is the positive signal wire)
White wire (D) 14.2 volts (GM tech sheets says this is a heater wire)
White wire (E) 4-8.3 volts (GM tech sheets says this is a heater wire)

Which wires do I connect and where on a Quad Digital EFIE?
01-15-2012 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE Connection
Both of the ones that the manual calls "positive signal wire", are correct. The instructions tell you how to hook it up. You can find them here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/digital-efi...structions

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
01-16-2012 01:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sabre1pc Offline

Is an analog and narrowband the same thing?
01-16-2012 11:39 AM
mike Offline

Not quite. An analog EFIE will work on a narrow band sensor. But a digital EFIE will also work on a narrow band sensor. They are both different types of narrow band EFIE. Either kind will work.

The only other type of sensor is the Wideband sensor. You can't use Wideband EFIEs on narrow band sensors.

But digital and analog EFIEs are fine for those sensors. I recommend the Dual Digital EFIE from my store, fuelsaver-mpg.com. It has one digital EFIE and one analog EFIE in one device. It is ideal, because digital EFIEs work best on upstream sensors, whereas analog EFIEs work best on downstream sensors. Your car has one of each.

But once again, so it doesn't get confusing, they are both analog sensors.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-16-2012 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sabre1pc Offline

I've checked my connections and everything looks correct, but I'm getting steady green lights not blinking. What could be wrong?
01-16-2012 04:45 PM
mike Offline

Either the wrong wire, or you have the EFIE set very very low - like below 50 mv.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-17-2012 05:45 PM
sabre1pc Offline

(01-17-2012 05:45 PM)mike Wrote:  Either the wrong wire, or you have the EFIE set very very low - like below 50 mv.

When I turn the upper pod counter clockwise it goes above zero, but the green light goes off.

When I turn the lower pod to 350 mv the green light is steady.

My sensors have about 99,000 miles on them. Could these be affecting the EFIE?
01-18-2012 02:33 AM
mike Offline

I actually don't know what you mean by "upper" and "lower" pod.

I also don't quite understand what's going on here. You're saying of you go above 0, the light goes off. I'm assuming you're measuring the test points on the EFIE, right? Then you back it off some more and get the light turning on at 350 mv? This is very odd behavior. But I think there is something I'm not understanding about what you're telling me.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-18-2012 04:37 PM
sabre1pc Offline

My generator is running at 20-24 amps.Green lights r on but not blinking on the EFIE.

When the pos probe of the amp meter is plugged into the upper red plug and the neg probe into the black plug the meter the reading is zero. When I turn the upper pot counterclockwise a so the reading is 3 mv the right green light goes off.

With the black meter probe in the neg plug and the red probe in the lower red plug I can set the meter to 350 mv.

My sensors have 99,000 miles on them. I reset the ECU and got the same result. After running the truck for 15 minutes like this the check engine light came on and didn't go off.

I have pics of these, but can't make them small enough to view. Any thoghts?
01-19-2012 02:05 PM
mike Offline

Point #1: This may just be using the wrong words, but you need to have your meter set on volts, not on amps. Or actually millivolts if the meter doesn't change ranges automatically.

Point #2: Set the lower EFIE to about 150 mv. 350 is too high, even for brand new sensors. That's a safe setting.

Point #3: If you are really measuring volts on the upper EFIE, then set that one for about 350 mv. That is a very safe setting. You would need to turn the pot counter clockwise to make the voltage go up if you are at 0 mv now.

If you don't see the green LED blink when the engine is idling at 350 mv, then there is something wrong with the installation of the upstream sensor. It may be that you have found the wrong signal wire. What voltage do you get when you measure the voltage of the signal wire - the wire that comes from the sensor (with your black probe on a good ground)?

Visit Our Documents Page
01-23-2012 11:49 PM