Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Connection
frodo2222 Offline

RE: EFIE Connection
I bought a Digital EFFIE and set it up per instructions, when all 2 sensor wires are connected to the effie, the engine 1999 (3.8 L Chrysler) will turn over but not run. The red light comes on in the EFFIE but not able to run. when I take off wires from EFFIE the 4 ends of the sensor wires ,I think and reconnect them together the engine starts right up!
Not sure what is the problem and cant seem to be SURE about this wires being the sensor ones. Anyone has a CLEAR idea about where the wires might be to tap into in the engine compartment other then the PCM which I have to take out LOTS of electrical components just to get to ie next to oil filter, or whatever so I have a reference point to look for :-)
ANY help is greatly appreciated

Fred
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2012 10:10 AM by frodo2222.)
01-27-2012 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

(01-27-2012 10:09 AM)frodo2222 Wrote:  I bought a Digital EFFIE and set it up per instructions, when all 2 sensor wires are connected to the effie, the engine 1999 (3.8 L Chrysler) will turn over but not run. The red light comes on in the EFFIE but not able to run. when I take off wires from EFFIE the 4 ends of the sensor wires ,I think and reconnect them together the engine starts right up!
Not sure what is the problem and cant seem to be SURE about this wires being the sensor ones. Anyone has a CLEAR idea about where the wires might be to tap into in the engine compartment other then the PCM which I have to take out LOTS of electrical components just to get to ie next to oil filter, or whatever so I have a reference point to look for :-)
ANY help is greatly appreciated

Fred

What do you mean "all 2 sensor wires are connected to the effie"?

You must be putting the wires into the wrong ports on the green connector. First of all, if you don't provide any power to the EFIE, the input from the sensor connects directly to the output to the computer. So, if the engine works with the wires connected, but not when in the EFIE (with the power off), you can be sure you've got the wires in the wrong ports, because those would be equivalent.

Once you power up the EFIE, then the efie is making changes. But with the power off, there are no changes and the signal from the sensor is passed straight through.

There are only 2 places that I pick up sensor wires:

1) next to the ECU. But you need a schematic so you'll know what wire colors belong to the sensor.

2) next to the sensor. These are harder to access and you have to run wire through your engine compartment to get to the EFIE. But at least you can find the sensor wires that way.

But connecting to the wrong wire is the most common cause of failed installations.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-02-2012 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sabre1pc Offline

(01-23-2012 11:49 PM)mike Wrote:  Point #1: This may just be using the wrong words, but you need to have your meter set on volts, not on amps. Or actually millivolts if the meter doesn't change ranges automatically.

Point #2: Set the lower EFIE to about 150 mv. 350 is too high, even for brand new sensors. That's a safe setting.

Point #3: If you are really measuring volts on the upper EFIE, then set that one for about 350 mv. That is a very safe setting. You would need to turn the pot counter clockwise to make the voltage go up if you are at 0 mv now.

If you don't see the green LED blink when the engine is idling at 350 mv, then there is something wrong with the installation of the upstream sensor. It may be that you have found the wrong signal wire. What voltage do you get when you measure the voltage of the signal wire - the wire that comes from the sensor (with your black probe on a good ground)?

Point 1: The generator is pulling 20-24 amps.
Point 2: I now have set the lower EFIE to 150 mv, but the green light is now off.
Point 3: I now have set the upper EFIE to 350 mv, but the green light is off. The voltage of the signal wire used is the positive wire at 300 mv to 1.100 volts. I have brand new O2 sensors and spark plugs. I used the amp setting on my meter to check the generator and the voltage setting when checking the EFIE.
02-05-2012 12:28 PM
mike Offline

Ok, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

First of all, those amps are what you'd use on a 10 liter engine. If you're working with a 3.8L engine, you should cut them back by about half. See if that doesn't give you better results.

The voltages on the signal wire show that you have found the correct wire. Adjustments to the downstream EFIE will not affect the green LEDs. Only adjustments to the upstream (digital) EFIEs. If the LED is off all the time (when the engine is running), then something is wrong. Does the red (power) LED light up on the EFIE? Did you have the green LED lighting up earlier, but then it went out after you changed it? If so, what makes it light up, and what makes it stop lighting up?

Visit Our Documents Page
02-06-2012 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sabre1pc Offline

(02-06-2012 08:39 AM)mike Wrote:  Ok, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

First of all, those amps are what you'd use on a 10 liter engine. If you're working with a 3.8L engine, you should cut them back by about half. See if that doesn't give you better results.

The voltages on the signal wire show that you have found the correct wire. Adjustments to the downstream EFIE will not affect the green LEDs. Only adjustments to the upstream (digital) EFIEs. If the LED is off all the time (when the engine is running), then something is wrong. Does the red (power) LED light up on the EFIE? Did you have the green LED lighting up earlier, but then it went out after you changed it? If so, what makes it light up, and what makes it stop lighting up?
So, I will reduce to about 10-15 amps. Not a problem.
Do you have an email I can send pics to? They are too large to attach here.
02-06-2012 10:16 AM
mike Offline

Just reduce their size. I believe the limit is 100K per image here on this forum.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-06-2012 01:01 PM
sabre1pc Offline

(02-06-2012 01:01 PM)mike Wrote:  Just reduce their size. I believe the limit is 100K per image here on this forum.

the lower pic is set at 149 mv with the left side green light and red on.
the upper pic is set at 351 mv with the left side green light and red on.
the red is always on and the green does not blink.
the pic labeled green light is to show how the wiring is connected.
the 3rd wire down is from the signal wire from the upstream sensor.
4th wire down comes from the signal wire from upstream computer side
nothing in the 5th and 6th
7th wire down is from the signal wire from the downstream sensor
8th wire down comes from the signal wire from downstream computer side
nothing in 9 and 10.
is anything wrong with this?

I installed a Scanguage 2 and the only code was the sensor sees more oxygen in the exhaust.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 06:30 PM by sabre1pc.)
02-06-2012 06:21 PM
mike Offline

No. That is all correct. You have read and understood the instructions correctly.

Measure the signal wire. Just put your black probe on the ground wire and your red probe on the signal wire in port #3. You should see a fluctuating signal (when the engine is idling). It should fluctuate between 0 and 1 volts. Please describe what you see.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-07-2012 11:29 AM
sabre1pc Offline

(02-07-2012 11:29 AM)mike Wrote:  No. That is all correct. You have read and understood the instructions correctly.

Measure the signal wire. Just put your black probe on the ground wire and your red probe on the signal wire in port #3. You should see a fluctuating signal (when the engine is idling). It should fluctuate between 0 and 1 volts. Please describe what you see.

1.145 volts. no fluctuating.
02-07-2012 04:32 PM
mike Offline

Something is wrong. It probably is the wrong wire. If it truly is the correct wire, then it sounds like a faulty sensor. Like maybe it's plugged up or something. Because that reading would be like it was seeing the richest possible mixture all the time.

Basically, it's either the wrong wire, or something is very wrong - bad sensor, or some kind of fault with the fuel injection system.

But my first guess is that its the wrong wire.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-08-2012 09:18 AM