Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE - Ground Wire
Usman Offline

EFIE - Ground Wire
Hey guys, I will be greatfull if anyone can tell me what difference does it make to connect EFIE's ground wire to negative terminal of Battery!

Why do we have to connect black wire to car's body. Why not connect ground (black wire) to negative terminal of battery?

Thanks
12-15-2008 04:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: EFIE - Ground Wire
Electrically they're the same unless you have some major ground issues due to a deteriorating (rusting?) vehicle.

We like to connect high current items (like your cell) to the battery so it can be fused separately and keep the wire length short to prevent voltage drops due to the high current.

There's no advantage to connect to the battery since the efie probably only draws 1/100th of an amp, (but there's nothing to prevent you from doing it anyway). Bear in mind that connections to the battery are more likely to corrode due to exposure to the elements and the corrosion that battery terminals eventually get.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-15-2008 08:24 AM
Usman Offline

colchiro Wrote:Electrically they're the same unless you have some major ground issues due to a deteriorating (rusting?) vehicle.

We like to connect high current items (like your cell) to the battery so it can be fused separately and keep the wire length short to prevent voltage drops due to the high current.

There's no advantage to connect to the battery since the efie probably only draws 1/100th of an amp, (but there's nothing to prevent you from doing it anyway). Bear in mind that connections to the battery are more likely to corrode due to exposure to the elements and the corrosion that battery terminals eventually get.

No, there is no rusting problem or anything. I was just curious why Mike's documents mentions and other Efie documents mention to connect to body's car. I would have thought ,it would be easier to simply plug it to negative terminal of battery.
Well now i know why..

Thanks Anyway.
12-15-2008 09:01 AM
colchiro Offline

Use whatever connection is the most convenient.

If you have the efie in the vehicle, which is my preference, that would be chassis ground.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-15-2008 09:32 AM
mike Offline

Any convenient ground is fine. The efie isn't fussy or sensitive to it's input voltage. As long as it sees 11 volts or more across the red and black wires, it is fine.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-16-2008 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply