Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Help
Roadwarrior Offline

EFIE Help
Got a scan Guage ll today and after hooking it up my lack of results came into clear view. Filled up the gas tank and topped off my Wooters Water Fuel for all Booster, brought her up to Temp and noted 15 amps at Idle. hooked up 2 separate ammeters one each to each sensor test port on my Dual EFIE and noted 150mv each. Got right on interstate and set cruise control for 79mph. No acceleration or decelleration except for turn around on ramp. Drove 74.3 miles used 3.24 gal yielding 21.8 mpg. Adjusted EFIE to 230mv respectivly and drove 54.3 miles using 2.6 gallons of fuel yielding 20.88 mpg. Left EFIE alone this time and adjusted mixture in booster to reflect 13amps warm idle drove 71.2 miles using 3.5 gallons yielding 20.34 mpg.All trips were at 79 mph as indicated on scan guage and verified on gps. I normally get 20.5 to 21.5 on highway and as you can see i'm loosing mileage. Vehicle is 2000 Toyota Sienna v6 3.0 ltr. with 256,000 miles. Any suggestions? Perhaps I have narrow band and need to go down to 50mv?
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2008 09:34 PM by Roadwarrior.)
11-24-2008 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: EFIE Help
I hope you have narrow band. That's the only o2 that works with an efie.

Take your voltmeter and connect red to black jack and black to vehicle ground. If you see a voltage that fluctuates rapidly between .1 and 1 VDC, you have a compatible o2 sensor and are wired correctly.

If you see closer to 3+ volts and it isn't changing, you have an incompatible air-fuel sensor. 2000 is about the time they started to phase them in so you're on the edge.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-25-2008 05:34 AM
realtyroy Offline

Here is another thing to think about, if you are getting your mileage readings from the scangage than remember that with the EFIE you are fooling the computer and unfortunately you are also fooling the scangage.

It really is best to check your mileage the old fashioned way. A little math. If that is the way you are doing it than never mindWink

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-25-2008 09:26 AM
Roadwarrior Offline

colchiro Wrote:I hope you have narrow band. That's the only o2 that works with an efie.

Take your voltmeter and connect red to black jack and black to vehicle ground. If you see a voltage that fluctuates rapidly between .1 and 1 VDC, you have a compatible o2 sensor and are wired correctly.

If you see closer to 3+ volts and it isn't changing, you have an incompatible air-fuel sensor. 2000 is about the time they started to phase them in so you're on the edge.

Rick, Are you referring to the black test jack on the efie?
11-25-2008 04:16 PM
Roadwarrior Offline

realtyroy Wrote:Here is another thing to think about, if you are getting your mileage readings from the scangage than remember that with the EFIE you are fooling the computer and unfortunately you are also fooling the scangage.

It really is best to check your mileage the old fashioned way. A little math. If that is the way you are doing it than never mindWink

Thanks for the input. I'm only using the scan gage to give me gallons till empty and than subtracting fuel used and than dividing miles driven by gallons used. Example Drove 123 miles
/ by 5.2 gallons Used
= 23.5 mpg
11-25-2008 04:25 PM
realtyroy Offline

Roadwarrior Wrote:
realtyroy Wrote:Here is another thing to think about, if you are getting your mileage readings from the scangage than remember that with the EFIE you are fooling the computer and unfortunately you are also fooling the scangage.

Thanks for the input. I'm only using the scan gage to give me gallons till empty and than subtracting fuel used and than dividing miles driven by gallons used. Example Drove 123 miles
/ by 5.2 gallons Used
= 23.5 mpg
Sounds like you are on the right track. I brought it up because many people don't realize that the scangage isn't the best way to check mileage when you are using an EFIE.

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-25-2008 10:54 PM
mike Offline

Roadwarrior Wrote:Got a scan Guage ll today and after hooking it up my lack of results came into clear view. Filled up the gas tank and topped off my Wooters Water Fuel for all Booster, brought her up to Temp and noted 15 amps at Idle. hooked up 2 separate ammeters one each to each sensor test port on my Dual EFIE and noted 150mv each. Got right on interstate and set cruise control for 79mph. No acceleration or decelleration except for turn around on ramp. Drove 74.3 miles used 3.24 gal yielding 21.8 mpg. Adjusted EFIE to 230mv respectivly and drove 54.3 miles using 2.6 gallons of fuel yielding 20.88 mpg. Left EFIE alone this time and adjusted mixture in booster to reflect 13amps warm idle drove 71.2 miles using 3.5 gallons yielding 20.34 mpg.All trips were at 79 mph as indicated on scan guage and verified on gps. I normally get 20.5 to 21.5 on highway and as you can see i'm loosing mileage. Vehicle is 2000 Toyota Sienna v6 3.0 ltr. with 256,000 miles. Any suggestions? Perhaps I have narrow band and need to go down to 50mv?

I looked your vehicle up on Alldata and you do indeed have wide band, air fuel ratio sensors. The EFIE will not work with them. Or, I should say, will not work very well. You can try setting your efie at .05 volts (50 mV), and will probably get a limited success. But the EFIE is not very stable with AFR sensors, which is why we say they don't work.

Now it just so happens that we are doing a beta program on our new AFR sensor version of the EFIE. Contact Bruce at support@fuelsaver-mpg.com if you'd like to try one of them. They should be available in a few weeks.

The last point is, regarding the Scangauge. If you are using it to see what your mileage is, as described in other posts, it just won't work. The HHO fools your computer, and therefore also the scangauge. The EFIE fools them too. What you have to do is use your miles/gallons method to get your setup correct. Once you are getting your mileage increase, then you can calibrate the scangauge so it will report correct mileage with your setup. Then it will be correct as long as you don't change your HHO system setup.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-28-2008 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Roadwarrior Wrote:Rick, Are you referring to the black test jack on the efie?

Yes.

Once you have your efie tuned in and fill with gas, your Scan Gauge should be fairly accurate. Any time you change any sensor (MAF, MAP, O2 via efie), you can't trust your SG's mpg reading until after you fill with gas, which re-calibrates it.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-28-2008 09:09 PM