Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Hookup / O2 Sensor Reading help
Can u "Hemi" now? Offline

EFIE Hookup / O2 Sensor Reading help
Good afternoon everyone,
I have a question and have searched a few sites/forums including this one and have been unable to find an answer. I have also called around to the dodge dealerships out here, local mechanic shops and still no one seems to be able to help me. Here is the issue. I have the wiring diagram for a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7L hemi (ours is the same but is a 2005 model). I took the readings after the vehicle was "warm" (driving it for 15 min) and the readings I got were
Wire 1: steady 2.61 V
Wire 2: steady .2 V (I think this is the ground)
Wire 3: steady 3.38 v
Wire 4: Fluctuates from 4.6 - 6.0 V (I think this is the signal high wire?)

For some reason I am unable to upload the actual diagram. I get the message "the file type is not allowed".
This was on the O2 sensor for the rear passenger side. I am trying to find which wire(s) to hook the EFIE up to but am unsure. Has anyone seen this and is there any way you would be able to help me with this issue? Thanks ahead of time for any/all help you may be able to share. Have a great day and God Bless.
08-28-2012 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE Hookup / O2 Sensor Reading help
What does the wiring diagram say? What abbreviations does it give for each of the wires? Also, what color are the wires. There will be 2 wires (at the sensor) that are the same color. Those will be the heater wires. On the diagram, they should have "H" in their symbols somewhere. You can ignore those 2.

The voltages you are giving don't quite make sense, so the additional information will help get it sorted out. Can I assume that the engine was running and the sensor was plugged in when you did the test?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
08-30-2012 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Can u "Hemi" now? Offline

(08-30-2012 10:15 AM)mike Wrote:  What does the wiring diagram say? What abbreviations does it give for each of the wires? Also, what color are the wires. There will be 2 wires (at the sensor) that are the same color. Those will be the heater wires. On the diagram, they should have "H" in their symbols somewhere. You can ignore those 2.

The voltages you are giving don't quite make sense, so the additional information will help get it sorted out. Can I assume that the engine was running and the sensor was plugged in when you did the test?

Ok, I found another diagram today from one of the local racing shops and this diagram is a tad different. In that the 2 wires on top of the plug are 1&2, and the bottom 2 are 3&4. The old wiring schematic has 1&3 on top then 2&4 on bottom. Wires 1 and 4 are in the same position on both diagrams so that shouldn't matter. This one tells me:
Wire 1: O2 Heater Control
Wire 2: Ground
Wire 3: Return (UP)
Wire 4: O2 Signal

SO, from this diagram I am assuming that the wire 4 (the one that fluctuates 4.6-6.0V) is the heater wire and the one I need to hook the EFIE to. I couldn't find any "H" on the diagrams so hopefully this makes sense.

The color wires I have are 2 whites (pin 1/2), 1 black (pin 3), and 1 gray (pin 4). These are the wires off the O2 sensor, not the truck harness.

I agree, those voltages don't make ANY sense to me. Yes the engine was running and the sensor was plugged in. I also tried it unplugged first, got the same kind of readings just a tad less voltage than plugged in. Is it ok for me to tie into the wires close to the O2 sensor since they are WAY easier to get to or does it have to be on the truck harness before the plugs? Thanks so much for your time and help. I'm going to try to hook this up tomorrow Smile
08-30-2012 08:09 PM
mike Offline

Something is lost in translation. There is no signal wire on any kind of sensor that runs at 4.6 volts. I may have misunderstood something.

But, you can ignore the 2 white wires. Those will always be heater wires.

Measure again the black and gray wires. The signal wire will be the higher of those 2 wires.

You can attach your EFIE anywhere that is convenient. However, the wires on the sensor itself are stainless steel. You won't be able to solder to them. You'll have to use a crimp connector. If you can access the car's wiring harness just past the wire connector to the sensor, then you'll have copper wire again. Then you can solder. That's the best way if you can access those wires.

You can extend the signal wire as long as you want. There's no problem with this. Then you can mount your EFIE wherever is most convenient.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
09-01-2012 06:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

(08-30-2012 08:09 PM)Can u "Hemi" now? Wrote:  
(08-30-2012 10:15 AM)mike Wrote:  What does the wiring diagram say? What abbreviations does it give for each of the wires? Also, what color are the wires. There will be 2 wires (at the sensor) that are the same color. Those will be the heater wires. On the diagram, they should have "H" in their symbols somewhere. You can ignore those 2.

Ok, I found another diagram today from one of the local racing shops and this diagram is a tad different. In that the 2 wires on top of the plug are 1&2, and the bottom 2 are 3&4. The old wiring schematic has 1&3 on top then 2&4 on bottom. Wires 1 and 4 are in the same position on both diagrams so that shouldn't matter. This one tells me:
Wire 1: O2 Heater Control
Wire 2: Ground
Wire 3: Return (UP)
Wire 4: O2 Signal

SO, from this diagram I am assuming that the wire 4 (the one that fluctuates 4.6-6.0V) is the heater wire and the one I need to hook the EFIE to. I couldn't find any "H" on the diagrams so hopefully this makes sense.

The color wires I have are 2 whites (pin 1/2), 1 black (pin 3), and 1 gray (pin 4). These are the wires off the O2 sensor, not the truck harness.

I agree, those voltages don't make ANY sense to me. Yes the engine was running and the sensor was plugged in. I also tried it unplugged first, got the same kind of readings just a tad less voltage than plugged in. Is it ok for me to tie into the wires close to the O2 sensor since they are WAY easier to get to or does it have to be on the truck harness before the plugs? Thanks so much for your time and help. I'm going to try to hook this up tomorrow Smile

I have called the O2 sensor maker in the past and had them tell me which wire to use for the AFR hook up- it is the same for the EFIE.
09-01-2012 07:48 AM