Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE PT Cruiser
handyrandy@lycos.com Offline

EFIE PT Cruiser
Hi,
I need help.
2001 PT Cruiser, 4cyl
Okay, the EFIE is installed, but I don’t think it’s adjusted correctly. My first tank of gas I lost 7mpg, I went from 22mpg to 15mpg.
My next was 13mpg.

The orientation I will be describing is the way the mechanic mounted the EFIE under the hood, with the connection wires down and the POT at the top. So that should mean the top is now the right side.

Using the multimeter, I placed the black test lead in the bottom right just below the red light. I place the red test lead in the red hole just below the green light, right side of the two red test ports. I have the multimeter set to DCV, #2, (as shown in the picture) and it read 2.49.
When I left the black test lead where it is and put the red into the other red port on the left it read 0.40.
The switch in the middle is on the right, or in the down position with the connecting wires on the right side.

**Today, I turned the left/bottom pot down to 30 and the engine seems to be running better. The right/top POT, it seems like no matter how much I screw clockwise the volts stay the same 2.49. The switch is pushed to the left/bottom.

I also have the check engine light on.

Would you know what I’m doing wrong and how should I adjust the EFIE correctly?
Let me know if you need any more information. I’ve never done this before, so if you can, I need step by step instructions.

I sent you an email yesterday with picture attachments. Did you receive it?
Thank you,
Randy
04-12-2012 03:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE PT Cruiser
Poor results can have a number of causes which are covered in this article: http://www.dry-cells.com/dry-cell-debug-checklist .

However, the EFIE installation is possibly messed up and if so, that will need to be fixed.

It sounds like you haven't read the instructions. You will not be able to use the EFIE correctly without reading them. So do that. I'm not going to try to tell you everything there is to know in this post. The instructions can be found here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/digital-efi...structions

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
04-13-2012 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Hi Mike,
I have read the instructions. I would guess I have read them about 25 times this week. My opinion is the instructions aren’t very user friendly for someone who has never done this before. I think I reached a point many times where I was over thinking it and confusing myself. Dot helped me out very much and this is where I’m at.

Okay, the car is running much better.
The top POT is set to 0.10v
Bottom POT is set to 0.30v
The switch is in the up position
The left green light is blinking
The right green light is off. I’ve tried from 0v to .45v in ½ turn increments and I just can’t seem to get that light on or blinking.

Does any of this sound right to you?

Dot explained that light shouldn’t go on with the way it’s set up. To give you some background, I was sold a 4 narrow band EFIE and I needed a 2 narrow band EFIE. Okay, so that’s straightened out.

Do the above settings sound right to you?
To take it one step further, it’s my understanding that with each gas fill-up, I should adjust the EFIE until I’m not gaining any more mpg, and then turn it back to the last setting. At that point the EFIE will be properly adjusted for my HHO system.
Adjusting the EFIE on each fill-up, am I adjusting the top, bottom, or both POTs? Would I turn each one equally?

Thank you Mike.
Randy
04-13-2012 04:05 PM
mike Offline

It sounds like you're on the right track. I would set the upstream pot lower, and I would set the downstream pot at about .25 volts. If you only have one upstream sensor, then only one LED should blink. And if the LED is blinking, then you have installed (at least) the upstream EFIE correctly.

I would only adjust the upstream pot for best fuel mileage.

Now, I would also have you look at the checklist I referenced earlier. How many amps are you running your HHO system? Most people run them too high? Tell me the size of your engine and how many amps you are drawing. See the checklist. Any remaining problems will probably be covered in that checklist. http://www.dry-cells.com/dry-cell-debug-checklist

Visit Our Documents Page
04-14-2012 06:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(04-14-2012 06:46 AM)mike Wrote:  It sounds like you're on the right track. I would set the upstream pot lower, and I would set the downstream pot at about .25 volts. If you only have one upstream sensor, then only one LED should blink. And if the LED is blinking, then you have installed (at least) the upstream EFIE correctly.

I would only adjust the upstream pot for best fuel mileage.

Now, I would also have you look at the checklist I referenced earlier. How many amps are you running your HHO system? Most people run them too high? Tell me the size of your engine and how many amps you are drawing. See the checklist. Any remaining problems will probably be covered in that checklist. http://www.dry-cells.com/dry-cell-debug-checklist

Thank you Mike.
My HHO generator is running at 13amps. What I did was adjust the amps as high as I could without the water boiling. So it's just under boil.
Thank you,
Randy
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2012 07:24 AM by handyrandy@lycos.com.)
04-14-2012 07:21 AM
mike Offline

Try backing it off to 10 amps, and see what happens with your mileage. You might be surprised.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-15-2012 04:18 AM

Thank you Mike. I will.
Randy
04-15-2012 06:30 AM

Hi Mike,
How did you arrive at the 0.25v for the downstream sensor?
Thank you,
Randy
04-16-2012 03:51 PM

Hi Mike,
How did you arrive at the 0.25v for the downstream sensor?
Thank you,
Randy
04-18-2012 07:14 AM