Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Settings
Dave4775 Offline

EFIE Settings
Hello everyone,

I am having some difficult times with my settings. I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7liter and have installed a dual dry cell kit producing about 3 lpm of HHO at 25 amps. I have adjusted my EFIE a million times and I can only seem to get 19.3 mpg at an average of 70 mph. My EFIE setting are very low and it doesn't seem to affect the vehicle. My front sensors are at .080mv and my rear are at .065mv when I started at the recommended .350 my mpg were only 17 which is what the vehicle does without any HHO. Any suggestions on the proper EFIE Setting? I feel that I should be getting around 21mpg not 19.3.

Thanks,

David V.
01-25-2010 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE Settings
What kind of EFIE? There are 2 engine sizes for that year Tundra, and the smaller engine has wide band oxygen sensors. The V-8 was unclear, which makes me wonder. Are you sure you don't have wide bands on that engine? If you do, they will only be used on the upstream sensors (upstream of the cat). If you have widebands and are using narrow band EFIE, it won't work.

Ok, now if you have established that they truly are narrow band, then what kind of EFIE are you using? Quad digital? If so, the rear EFIE is set way too low. Set it at about .200 mV. The front are probably also set way too low, but I have heard of them being set that low before. But likely your sweet spot will be more like .200 or .250. But get the rear setting changed, and see where you stand.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
01-25-2010 09:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dave4775 Offline

(01-25-2010 09:35 PM)mike Wrote:  What kind of EFIE? There are 2 engine sizes for that year Tundra, and the smaller engine has wide band oxygen sensors. The V-8 was unclear, which makes me wonder. Are you sure you don't have wide bands on that engine? If you do, they will only be used on the upstream sensors (upstream of the cat). If you have widebands and are using narrow band EFIE, it won't work.

Ok, now if you have established that they truly are narrow band, then what kind of EFIE are you using? Quad digital? If so, the rear EFIE is set way too low. Set it at about .200 mV. The front are probably also set way too low, but I have heard of them being set that low before. But likely your sweet spot will be more like .200 or .250. But get the rear setting changed, and see where you stand.

I will change the settings today. I do have the Quad Digital and have heard of people setting them really low in the front and around 160 to 200 in the rear. Why such a big difference between the two. Withought the EFIE and HHO the voltages are around .785 in the front and .274 in the rear.

Thanks,

David V.
01-26-2010 01:11 PM
mike Offline

To see why they are set differently, see this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works. They are 2 different types of circuit. The voltages at the test points don't really have any relationship to the sensor voltages. But the article above will help explain that too.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-26-2010 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bsmart Offline

What kind of EFIE is needed for a 1999 ISUZU Trooper? It has a 3.5L v-6 engine. Is the same kind gonna work for a 2001 ISUZU Trooper?

thanks,
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2010 03:36 PM by bsmart.)
01-27-2010 03:35 PM
mike Offline

(01-27-2010 03:35 PM)bsmart Wrote:  What kind of EFIE is needed for a 1999 ISUZU Trooper? It has a 3.5L v-6 engine. Is the same kind gonna work for a 2001 ISUZU Trooper?

Both years have the same configuration. They use narrow band sensors in all cases. They both have 2 upstream and 2 downstream sensors.

The correct EFIE for both cars is the Quad Digital EFIE Basic.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-27-2010 04:45 PM
bsmart Offline

(01-27-2010 04:45 PM)mike Wrote:  
(01-27-2010 03:35 PM)bsmart Wrote:  What kind of EFIE is needed for a 1999 ISUZU Trooper? It has a 3.5L v-6 engine. Is the same kind gonna work for a 2001 ISUZU Trooper?

Both years have the same configuration. They use narrow band sensors in all cases. They both have 2 upstream and 2 downstream sensors.

The correct EFIE for both cars is the Quad Digital EFIE Basic.

Alright.......are there hookup instructions on this website that I can review before making my purchase?
(scratch that, I found the instructions, they look quite straightforward)

Can this EFIE be connected near the OBDII connector, inside the vehicle to access the correct wiring, to work as it's supposed to?

ABout how many lpm of HHO will this engine need to see significant mpg gains with the EFIE ?
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 11:10 AM by bsmart.)
01-28-2010 10:30 AM
mike Offline

(01-28-2010 10:30 AM)bsmart Wrote:  Can this EFIE be connected near the OBDII connector, inside the vehicle to access the correct wiring, to work as it's supposed to?

ABout how many lpm of HHO will this engine need to see significant mpg gains with the EFIE ?

Actually, the OBD2 connector is not where you will connect your EFIE. You need to access the wires between the sensor and the computer. I usually always access the wires by the computer because USUALLY, they're easier to access there. But on some vehicles, the wiring at the computer is basically inaccessible. So, you'll just have to see on your vehicle. But if you can get the wires by the computer, then you can access all 4 signal wires (one each from each sensor) in the same location.

The amount of HHO for a 3.5L engine? 1 to 2 LPM will work great.

Visit Our Documents Page
01-28-2010 11:52 AM
bsmart Offline

(01-28-2010 11:52 AM)mike Wrote:  
(01-28-2010 10:30 AM)bsmart Wrote:  Can this EFIE be connected near the OBDII connector, inside the vehicle to access the correct wiring, to work as it's supposed to?

Actually, the OBD2 connector is not where you will connect your EFIE. You need to access the wires between the sensor and the computer. I usually always access the wires by the computer because USUALLY, they're easier to access there. But on some vehicles, the wiring at the computer is basically inaccessible. So, you'll just have to see on your vehicle. But if you can get the wires by the computer, then you can access all 4 signal wires (one each from each sensor) in the same location.

The amount of HHO for a 3.5L engine? 1 to 2 LPM will work great.

OK....well I went to the 'store' page here, thinking I'd find a HHO generator to purchase, but to my surprise none are listed. Where is a reputable generator supplier to be found ??
02-02-2010 10:19 AM
Dave4775 Offline

(01-26-2010 02:56 PM)mike Wrote:  To see why they are set differently, see this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works. They are 2 different types of circuit. The voltages at the test points don't really have any relationship to the sensor voltages. But the article above will help explain that too.

Mike, I have another question for you? I have tried many settings and have actually had everything at zero. My vehicle will run at these low settings but, I just cannot seem to get the sweet spot for the MV setting. The best that I have done is 19.3mpg with my tundra v8. One concern that I have is even if I set the digital sensors at 0 the output of the EFIE is a default 225 (Only for the front). The analog seems to go about .30 MV above the setting and enables me to set the rear very low. This thing is really confusing me and I know that it works because if I turn off my HHO the truck will not run with the low settings. As it stands the recommended 200mv setting really doesn't do much especially when the default setting for the front sensors never drops below 225MV. let me know what you think.

Thanks,

David
02-09-2010 03:36 PM