Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Understanding
koya1893 Offline

EFIE Understanding
I've been playing around with my Harley I think I've put together the perfect set up for it. I've installed the "Deluxe Dual EFIE" on it to decrease the signal from the .450 mv to a value that would yield me better mileage for it when I am on the highway.

My question to all the expert out there: When I read the voltage from each port the reading I am adjusting, is that the actual voltage value I am decrease the the signal from the 450? or is it the actual signal being sent to the ECU.

Initially I had it set at 200mv thinking I am decreasing the signal by that much. Got the great throttle response, power and gain about 4 mpg. As I increased the voltage to 250mv everything remain the same, the increase in HP, accel but mpg decrease.

The reaction from the adjustment I feel I am increasing the voltage and forcing the O2 sensor to signal the ECU to richen the mix. Since I have several of the"Quad digital" EFIE that handles four O2 I thought I would use it instead and it would be easier to control the voltage adjustment.

As the instruction say it will show the 450mv initially and then will show what ever value you want to set it, suggesting from 150-350. I set it at 350mv as recommended. Here's where I get confuse. This digital will show the actual signal, in this case 350 from 450 which is a decrease of 100mv. I have not tested the bike with this set up, but from the idle it seem to do better with this EFIE.

Would someone set me straight and share their expertise on this. Thank you in advance.
12-17-2009 04:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE Understanding
The first EFIE you used is an analog EFIE. All analog EFIEs work the same way. They add voltage to the incoming signal from the sensor. The sensor's voltage is constantly changing. By adding voltage we make that signal look richer. The computer then compensates by leaning the mix.

The digital EFIE works on a different principal. This is described in detail in this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-17-2009 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

So, if I was to use the analog EFIE for the rear O2 (post CAT) the reading I am dialing in is the voltages I am increase the signal.

What if I used the same analog EFIE for the front O2 (pre CAT). The voltages I am dialing is: is that the amount I am decreasing or the actual voltage for the signal.
12-18-2009 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

(12-18-2009 02:55 PM)koya1893 Wrote:  So, if I was to use the analog EFIE for the rear O2 (post CAT) the reading I am dialing in is the voltages I am increase the signal.

What if I used the same analog EFIE for the front O2 (pre CAT). The voltages I am dialing is: is that the amount I am decreasing or the actual voltage for the signal.

You'll need to read the article to understand how the 2 types work. It's described better there than I can tell you in a short post. Your first statement is correct. The EFIE adds it's voltage to the sensor's voltage.

The digital EFIE works differently, and it's best to read about that in the article.

If you want to see the sensor's actual output, you would read the sensor's wire with your black probe to ground. You'll find it's all over the place but stays between 0 and 1 volt.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
12-18-2009 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply