Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE Voltage to ECU
koya1893 Offline

EFIE Voltage to ECU
I am trying to get a complete understanding of these EFIE's. After the signal wire on a Narrow band is split and routed through the EFIE what kind of voltage the reading should be. The way I understand it when an EFIE is set let's say at 200mv with that voltage you are limiting the signal from the O2 to the ECU to that value since we don't want the ECU to receive the 450mv it is looking for. Do I have this correctly or will the voltage be higher once it leaves the EFIE to the ECU.
11-03-2009 04:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: EFIE Voltage to ECU
Koya, click my documents link. The functionality and theory of each efie is described there in greater detail than I could. Make sure you click the same version as yours (wideband, digital or narrow band).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-03-2009 02:49 PM
mike Offline

(11-03-2009 04:08 AM)koya1893 Wrote:  I am trying to get a complete understanding of these EFIE's. After the signal wire on a Narrow band is split and routed through the EFIE what kind of voltage the reading should be. The way I understand it when an EFIE is set let's say at 200mv with that voltage you are limiting the signal from the O2 to the ECU to that value since we don't want the ECU to receive the 450mv it is looking for. Do I have this correctly or will the voltage be higher once it leaves the EFIE to the ECU.

You definitely don't have a correct understanding of how these sensors work. See the article that describes how our Digital EFIEs work. It actually describes how any narrow band EFIE works, and has some voltage graphs to help illustrate the principals. You might also want to read the first articles on the documents page, that has more basic information about oxygen sensors and EFIEs.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
11-03-2009 11:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MtnGoat Offline

So if my understanding is correct, we are ADDING the mV as shown on the volt meter (plugged into the EFIE) to the voltage produced by the O2 sensor. Thus "fooling" the ECM into believing that the AFR is correct.

Can we then say that the more voltage produced by the O2 sensor means less oxygen?

"..It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."--Samuel Adams
02-15-2010 09:38 AM
mike Offline

If you want to understand how it works, read this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

The digital EFIE works differently than analog EFIEs. An analog EFIE adds voltage, and the more you add, the leaner the mix will be (up to a point).

With the digital EFIE you're not adding voltage. You're changing the cross over point between what the output voltage of the EFIE will be. So in this case, lower voltages mean leaner. The 2 types of sensor work on different principals, so the same answer won't apply to both types.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-15-2010 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MtnGoat Offline

(02-15-2010 10:45 AM)mike Wrote:  If you want to understand how it works, read this article: The New Digital EFIE: How It Works

The digital EFIE works differently than analog EFIEs. An analog EFIE adds voltage, and the more you add, the leaner the mix will be (up to a point).

Yes, I've read the article before installing my narrow band EFIE.
Just wanted to ensure I was understanding what I read.....

Thanks for confirming

"..It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."--Samuel Adams
02-15-2010 07:02 PM
MtnGoat Offline

The EFIE is working properly. But I find the ECM on the vehicle (92 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 AT) learns the new configuration and reverts back to its old habits. If I adjust the voltage up to compensate, it causes a check engine lite.

Is this typical? Or do I have one of those "impossible" ECM's....?
03-01-2010 08:49 AM
mike Offline

Jeeps have been difficult. But no vehicle has an "impossible ECU". I'm not sure what you mean by "reverts back". Have you had mileage gains, and then lost them? Are you sure it's not HHO production related?

In general, lack of mileage gains is best handled by doing the HHO System Debug Checklist. Check through that reference. If all of the points in that issue are in for your vehicle, you may need to add a MAP enhancer. That's also covered in the checklist, but is the last item on the list, I believe. But check the other items first. If something earlier on the list is blocking your gains, then the MAP won't solve it. But if all else is in, then the MAP should be able to prevent the computer from learning and nullifying the EFIEs.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-01-2010 10:18 AM
rpatzer Offline

MtnGoat- I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L and the EFFIE just adds to the voltage that your ECU reads. I also have a AFR meter and with the EFIE on, it reads real lean. That is where I get my best mileage, about 15-20% gain, using a fuel vaporizer.
I have my EFIE dialed in at 250mv.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 02:04 PM by rpatzer.)
03-02-2010 07:56 PM
MtnGoat Offline

(03-01-2010 10:18 AM)mike Wrote:  Jeeps have been difficult. But no vehicle has an "impossible ECU". I'm not sure what you mean by "reverts back". Have you had mileage gains, and then lost them? But if all else is in, then the MAP should be able to prevent the computer from learning and nullifying the EFIEs.

First I'm still learning how to tune before adding HHO. I started with my daily driver that was getting 17-18 MPG. A MAP adjuster was added that originally showed 1-2 MPG to the good for one tank of fuel then back to 15-16. So I continued with a EFIE that initially showed promise and again back to 15 MPG. So next I added an AFR gauge (with a second O2 sensor) to monitor what was really happening. I can now see that the AFR runs towards the lean side.

All of the prerequisites have been accomplished. Tune-up, wires, calibrating the EFI sensors, etc, etc. Engine runs smooth, accelerates briskly, idles too quite, and runs on the cold side. (H2O temp)

What is annoying is that this friggin Jeep always moves back to center aka; bad MPG's... I burn a tank of fuel a week, averaging 230 miles per. So my need for an efficient HHO system is important.

Recently I changed the IAT sensor that seems to have made a big difference. I'll know in two weeks. Until then I'll be lurkin'.

03-02-2010 11:29 PM