Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE and Bad O2 Sensor
Bert Herrero Offline

EFIE and Bad O2 Sensor
My mechanic has informed me that I have 4 bad O2 sensors on my Ford F-150. I am about to order a dual EFIE for a different vehicle and want to know if the Dual EFIE would still work for me on my Ford F-150 even if the O2 sensors are bad?
05-28-2008 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: EFIE and Bad O2 Sensor
What comes to my mind is "garbage in... garbage out". Hmm

I don't understand how you can have 4 bad sensors? How many miles on them?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-28-2008 02:49 PM
rpatzer Offline

Bert- I agree with colchiro. It does seem a little suspicious that all 4 just went out. Are you getting poor mileage, does your vehicle smell rich, have you failed any smog tests?
I would get a 2nd opinion before changing them out. But if they are bad, the EFIE then won't work. You need working sensors.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2008 03:24 PM by rpatzer.)
05-28-2008 03:23 PM
Bert Herrero Offline

180K. Lot of highway driving. He said that we should change all four but that the cpu code said "oxygen sensors too lean". I don't exactly know what this means but i figured maybe with the EFIE I could fool the cpu to think it is running properly?.. Is this not good logic?Shy
05-28-2008 03:36 PM
colchiro Offline

I'd consider change the pre-cat sensors, based on mileage alone. Can't say I'd do all 4 right away tho.

Pre cat sensors (between the engine and cat) determine the mix. The ones further back (post-cat) just report the health of the catalytic converter and won't affect mileage.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-28-2008 03:51 PM
rpatzer Offline

Bert Herrero Wrote:180K. Lot of highway driving. He said that we should change all four but that the cpu code said "oxygen sensors too lean". I don't exactly know what this means but i figured maybe with the EFIE I could fool the cpu to think it is running properly?.. Is this not good logic?Shy

If your O2 sensors were defective, they would read rich and your mileage would go down. 180K on sensors or on the car?
05-29-2008 09:49 AM
HerronPerformance Offline

Sensors going out could show a lean or rich condition, why else would there be codes set up for a lean reading?

I would do the pre-cat sensors unless the cats have broken up and trashed the rear ones....

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-29-2008 09:53 AM
rpatzer Offline

HerronPerformance Wrote:Sensors going out could show a lean or rich condition, why else would there be codes set up for a lean reading?

I would do the pre-cat sensors unless the cats have broken up and trashed the rear ones....

Everything that I have read is that when a sensor goes out, it goes rich and mileage goes down.
I would think that a sensor going out would be similar to a sensor that is still in open look ( still too cold) and it reads rich. Also a sensor that is "going" is "hunting" slower and thus not giving the ECU correct info for the best mix.
Now sure about lean codes since a functional/going/gone sensor would tend to read towards the richer side.
05-29-2008 11:31 AM
HerronPerformance Offline

What about this....it read lean, so it starts dumping in a bunch of fuel to richen it up but the computer can not dump any more fuel into the cylinders, it would never read rich, it would be lean, still....computer can only add so much fuel, there is a %age that probably varies by make...

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-29-2008 11:45 AM
rpatzer Offline

HerronPerformance- I agree with that. But the question is about a sensor that is going bad. Your description is for a functioning sensor. No problem, it hunts between reich-lean. Are you saying a malfunctioning sensor does the same?
05-29-2008 12:38 PM