Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE blinking lights
sabre1pc Offline

EFIE blinking lights
I've tried connecting per the diagram and every other way possible. The green lights will not blink. Is it possible or likely the EFIE is defective?

I have one upstream DENSO 4 wire with a pos and neg signal wire and one BOSCH downstream with a pos and neg signal wire. I have the Quad Digital EFIE and am using the front and rear signal connections. Vehicle is 2007 Hummer H3 with 3.7 ltr 5 cyl inline. This is driving me to drink.
02-05-2012 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

Testing the Digital EFIE
Well, its nearly impossible for it to be the EFIE, but not impossible. You can send it in for testing if you like. But I think our failure rate is about 1 in a 1,000. Its much lower if the red LED is lit up.

Most likely something is wrong with either the sensor, or some other fault with the car.

First, realize that if you only have one upstream and one downstream sensor that you'll only have one green LED that should blink. The other one won't because it's connected to the unused digital EFIE port. By the way, you should ground that unused port or else the other LED may light up randomly and confuse things for you.

You can do a crude test to see if the EFIE is working working. Remove the digital EFIE's signal wire from the sensor. Then ground that port. You should have no LED. Then jumper 12 volts to that port. You should then have a green LED showing. Then ground it again. The light should go out. That will indicate that the circuit is working.

To test the downstream EFIE, measure between the input (from the sensor) and the output (to the computer). For an analog EFIE you should see the same voltage as you see at the test points.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-05-2012 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sabre1pc Offline

RE: Testing the Digital EFIE
(02-05-2012 10:47 AM)mike Wrote:  Well, its nearly impossible for it to be the EFIE, but not impossible. You can send it in for testing if you like. But I think our failure rate is about 1 in a 1,000. Its much lower if the red LED is lit up.

Most likely something is wrong with either the sensor, or some other fault with the car.

First, realize that if you only have one upstream and one downstream sensor that you'll only have one green LED that should blink. The other one won't because it's connected to the unused digital EFIE port. By the way, you should ground that unused port or else the other LED may light up randomly and confuse things for you.

You can do a crude test to see if the EFIE is working working. Remove the digital EFIE's signal wire from the sensor. Then ground that port. You should have no LED. Then jumper 12 volts to that port. You should then have a green LED showing. Then ground it again. The light should go out. That will indicate that the circuit is working.

To test the downstream EFIE, measure between the input (from the sensor) and the output (to the computer). For an analog EFIE you should see the same voltage as you see at the test points.

Let me ask it this way. I have the quad digital efie. I have 1 upstream and 1 downstream sensor. they are brand new. i have the correct signal wires. which holes do the signal wires connect to on the quad? which light should blink after connecting? what do you mean the unused port should be grounded? after connecting I should have 2 unused ports.
02-05-2012 05:01 PM
mike Offline

RE: EFIE blinking lights
I can't tell you in a post which port is which. The instructions have a diagram that shows what each port in the connector is for. The diagram shows it much better. But yes, you have 2 of each type of EFIE and you will only be using one of each.

There are 2 green LEDs. One each for the 2 front (digital) EFIEs. The analog rear sensors don't cause any LED to blink. Only the front 2. Since you are using only 1 front EFIE, then only one green LED should blink. If you don't see it blink when the engine is running then something is wrong.

One test to make is to be sure you have the correct signal wire. Measure the wire coming in from the sensor vs ground. Red probe on the signal wire and black probe to ground. The engine should be running. What voltages do you see? You should see between 0 and 1 volt, constantly changing. Is that what you see?

For the unused digital EFIE port: run a wire from ground to your unused digital port. The only purpose of that wire is so that the LED won't blink randomly, which it can do if left floating. When it does, it can be confusing, however, it doesn't hurt anything.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-06-2012 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ElvisUnknow Offline

How to wire a blue LED light to 2 AA batteries?
I want to know if it's possible to wire a 2 AA battery pack to one blue LED light. The output of 2 AA alkaline batteries is 3v, but I don't know what LED and resistor to buy. Please don't tell me I would want to get a 4 AA battery pack, I need to be as cost efficient as possible.

LED Lighting
LED Spotlight
LED Downlight
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 11:20 PM by ElvisUnknow.)
05-24-2012 11:20 PM
mike Offline

Have a look at this page: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

High intensity blue LEDs need 4.5 volts. If yours is not high intensity, you could try it straight across the batteries with no resistor at all. If it's dim, you'll need to get more voltage.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-25-2012 10:45 AM