Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE confusion
nucleoside Offline

EFIE confusion
Hey, I just installed a double EFIE on my audi V6 along with a water electrolyzer. I've been attempting to tune the EFIE, but the numbers from my digital multimeter are very different than what you have described in your instructions.

When I plug the leads into the red and black matching the EFIE I get a negative polarity reading. Secondly after I switch the leads colors Im getting readings of positive polarity (even though the leads are opposite) + 1.5 volts. I think this would translate to 1,500 mV? Am I correct in my conversion of units. I followed my wiring harness to hook up the efie and Im fairly certain that I wired it in correctly. I determined the set of wires for the heating element for the O2 sensor and differentiated that from the computer signal. Did I completely miss it?

HELP!
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2008 10:37 PM by nucleoside.)
02-25-2008 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE confusion
Take a deep breath. We'll get you through this.

Yes. 1.5 volts = 1500 millivolts (milli = 1/1,000).

The only way that I know of that you could have reverse polarity on the EFIE is if it was hooked up to power of that polarity, and the power it was hooked up to, then charged it's capacitor. That shouldn't be a problem, but we'd need to get the thing hooked up correctly.

First we'd better check the EFIE for damage:

1) Take the EFIE back out. Sorry, I know you probably made solder connections, but something is wired wrong anyway, so let's just start at the beginning, and get it right.
2) Put 12 volts to the EFIE. 12 volts + goes to the red wire and ground (0 volts) goes to the black wire. You can use your car battery, or a plug in 12 volts DC transformer for this test.
3) Then check the voltage at the test ports - red lead in red port, black lead in black port. Turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise until all the voltage drops way down. It'll bottom out anywhere from .020 to .050. Your multimeter may not show below .050.
4) Now turn the screw clockwise until you see an upward voltage change. Then count 20 turns clockwise to get to the highest setting of the EFIE
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other EFIE (the other side of the dual EFIE).

Report back with the voltages that you saw when doing this test. We'll carry on from there, depending on what occurs here.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-25-2008 11:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nucleoside Offline

ok, I'll do that and get back to you as soon as possible.
02-26-2008 09:51 AM
nucleoside Offline

OK Mike,
I just got in from doing your test. here is the data:
first off I wanted to recheck the basic power connection. With the ignition key switched power to on, but without starting engine, the digimeter read that the EFIE has positive polarity of battery power. But when I start the engine the polarity switches to Negative. so for the time being I just turned the engine off and got the positive polarity reading back and performed the test without disconnecting the entire EFIE, since it had switched on power without the engine running.

So, I plugged the digimeter into the L side port and turned pot counter-clockwise until it bottomed out at .025V, then I began to turn it clockwise, but there was no change. I continued to turn it and make 7 more clockwise turns without any change in voltage. (hmm??) So I switched to the R side and brought the right side down to .025. I then began to turn it clockwise and immediately the voltage climbed until 20 turns, which read .416 volts. It seemed to top out, so I switched leads back to the L side and it had already climbed up to the SAME number as R side: .416, and I had only turned it X7. (hmmm, wierd) So I counted 13 more turns for a total of 20 on L side and the voltage increased to .455 V after five minutes it seemed to stabilize. I then rechecked the right side port and it too had climbed to .455 V without further turning of the pot.

Are the L and R potentiometers influential on each other circuits?

Just out of curiosity I started the engine and the polarity of the reading again switched from positive to negative and climbed to -2000mV. I switched the EFIE off, and came into the house to send you the data.

what do the numbers say to you?
02-26-2008 02:03 PM
mike Offline

By digimeter, you mean digital multimeter, yes.

Where did you get your power from? I've never heard of a power source that switches to negative when the car starts. Something is wrong with that source of power. Test the resistance of your ground connection (black wire) to the batteries negative terminal. You may have a dysfunctional ground that is giving you the other weird results.

As to the Left and Right EFIE circuits. No they don't affect each other. Well, maybe a little bit when you are completely zeroing out one side, then running it up to max. They share power, so there probably is an affect when making gross changes like that. But not to the degree that you described.

You are aware by now that the capacitors on each EFIE circuit takes quite some time to charge up, or discharge, thus causing a lag between changing the setting and the resultant voltage. Are you sure that's not what you experienced when you were testing the voltages? The results sounds correct. I used to set the top end of the range at .55 volts, but I've started setting them at approx .45 volts recently. I may not have updated the instructions on that point. So .455 is right in the ball park of what you should see at the top end of the range.

It sounds to me like the EFIE is working, but I'm not going to bet my life on it yet. What it sounds to me like, is that you have got get a good power source and a good ground. Get that debugged, until it's 12 V plus or minus 1 volt with that ACC turned on, and 13.5 volts plus or minus 1 volt, with the car started (engine running normally). These voltages are measured against a GOOD ground, preferably the battery's negative terminal.

Once power is fixed, then recheck the EFIE and see if you don't get a more consistent and expected result.

Let me know what you find out.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-26-2008 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nucleoside Offline

got it figured out, thanks Mike!
Ill let you know what gas mileage results I get.
02-26-2008 09:03 PM