Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE for volts instead of millivolts
Jeep Girl Offline

RE: EFIE for volts instead of millivolts
colchiro Wrote:The next step might be to check your cell for output (liters per minute), check for leaks (brush the connections with soapy water) and report your findings along with the amperage (and plate configuration) you're using for input from users here (who are always happy to critique an install).

I have a MagDrive system professionally installed. I think it was a Series 11a. The connections are all tight now. I had a problem last week with the smell of the acid coming into the intake vents so I used dope tape when tightening up the reservoir cap. The system has a 30 amp fuse, but the on/off switch is through a 25 amp fuse. I wouldn't know how to check for the volume of gas coming off, but it makes lots of big bubbles, so there should be enough H & O being produced.
I set the amps down to 100 on the Eagle EFIEs and even at that level, after I shut the engine off, and restarted it 5 minutes later the CEL came on again. When this happens the gas mileage drops off again, I think because the car's computer has taken over and ignores the sensor readings, enriching the fuel supply again. I don't understand why I can adjust it, drive the car for miles with no problem, and then when I shut it off and restart it again shortly thereafter the CEL comes on. If it was working the first time, why not the second?Crazy
Jeep Girl
11-08-2008 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Acid smell? That's not good. I'm not familiar with anything that would produce that except the battery.

The efie offset is volts or millivolts, not amps. Wink

Do you get a CEL with your hho and efie off?

Do you get a CEL with just the efie off and hho turned on?

I'd get that CEL read at an auto parts store. Many will read and clear a code for free (I'd call to confirm first). It'd help to know what it says.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-08-2008 01:43 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

colchiro Wrote:Acid smell? That's not good. I'm not familiar with anything that would produce that except the battery.

The efie offset is volts or millivolts, not amps. Wink

Do you get a CEL with your hho and efie off?

Do you get a CEL with just the efie off and hho turned on?

I'd get that CEL read at an auto parts store. Many will read and clear a code for free (I'd call to confirm first). It'd help to know what it says.

The vinegary acid smell was from changing the vinegar/water solution in the HHO generator reservoir, and not tightening the cap enough.

I meant 100 mv for the EFIE. Sorry.

I never got a CEL when only the hho was installed. It just started after I installed the 2 EFIEs.

I will try the auto parts store sometime this coming week. I am afraid my local mechanic is losing patience with me, and anyway he doesn't think this thing will ever work. I already know better from the mpg readings I get on the first runs before the CEL comes on.

Thanks for all your help. I need to get this working before I show up at the dealership to get both the leaking tran' pan gasket and rear main seal fixed. If the CEL is on, I can only imagine what they would say!
Jeep Girl
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2008 02:10 PM by Jeep Girl.)
11-08-2008 02:08 PM
colchiro Offline

Ok, wasn't thinking of vinegar as an electrolyte.

You have two single efies? (I believe the Eagles are currently just singles.)

If you have 2 o2's before your catalytic converters, a double or 2 single efies are required. Just trying to make sure you don't have an efie connected to an o2 AFTER the cat, which might throw a code and isn't needed.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-08-2008 02:55 PM
Yodamaker Offline

I have installed the EFIE on an 2005 GMC Canyon and we installed it onto the high range voltage wire, should that have been on the low side wire?

89 Ford Probe 4cyl 51mpg/hwy
http://www.greatertech.com
11-08-2008 03:04 PM
Jeep Girl Offline

colchiro Wrote:Ok, wasn't thinking of vinegar as an electrolyte.

If you have 2 o2's before your catalytic converters, a double or 2 single efies are required. Just trying to make sure you don't have an efie connected to an o2 AFTER the cat, which might throw a code and isn't needed.

I have 2 singles and they are on the front side of the 2 cats.
Jeep Girl
11-08-2008 04:09 PM
colchiro Offline

Ok, then try to find out what code you get. That will tell us which direction to go.

Rick

11-08-2008 06:15 PM
abe Offline

Jeep Girl Wrote:
colchiro Wrote:Ok, wasn't thinking of vinegar as an electrolyte.

I have 2 singles and they are on the front side of the 2 cats.
Jeep Girl

I also have the same jeep. Look at the connector to your O2 sensor ,there should numbers on the connector 1 through 4. You want to be connecting to the No.4 lead this is the sensor wire.No1 on mine is green with a red strip No. 2 is brown with a white stripe. Cut these wires and hook on each end as per Instructions.Solder for good connection. I have mine set at 350 now, with no light but dont know where to high is,motor running good.
11-09-2008 01:42 PM
colchiro Offline

Abe, it's very possible you are too high and in open loop, which may give you great performance, but lousy mileage.

I suggest you check your mileage and if no improvement, start over at 150 mv and work you way up slowly in 50 mv steps, several days apart.

You have gone too far if one of the following occurs:
CEL
loss of power or other driveablilty issue
no gain in mileage

Rick

11-09-2008 02:23 PM
abe Offline

colchiro Wrote:Abe, it's very possible you are too high and in open loop, which may give you great performance, but lousy mileage.

I suggest you check your mileage and if no improvement, start over at 150 mv and work you way up slowly in 50 mv steps, several days apart.

You have gone too far if one of the following occurs:
CEL
loss of power or other driveablilty issue
no gain in mileage

Thanks Rick, I wasn't sure where to set it.350 is where Cantburn set his, so that where I started. P.S. His video on Utube was very helpfull. It should be posted here.
11-09-2008 03:23 PM