Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE help? Hot engine? Open Loop?
firefly Offline

EFIE help? Hot engine? Open Loop?
Ok, so I hooked up my EFIE the other day, the red LED light comes on, the EFIE voltage was starting at .415 so I lowered it to .215. Today, I drove to work with it on and my HHO unit on too. It seemed to drive ok and the engine seemed to run smooth. I was about 2 miles from work when I noticed a hot smell coming from the car. I looked at the dash temp. gauge and it showed normal, but something smelled hot. Just then my Scangauge changed from Closed Loop to Open. I thought, OH CRAP! and turned off the EFIE and HHO unit. In just a minute or so, the hot smell went away, but I was still in Open Loop when I got to work. The same thing happened going back home, when I was about 2-3 miles from my house. I turned off the EFIE and HHO again, and after a little bit the car went back into Closed Loop. I never got a CEL light during this.

So I read a little more, and tell me if this is correct. So if I understand this, basically my EFIE setting of .215 was too high, causing the motor to run too lean, and making the engine and coolent temperature to rise too high. This hot condition is what I smelled. So when the ECU noticed the CTS was too high, it decided to now ignore the O2 sensor, causing the car to go into Open Loop status, and now the ECU was now dumping gas into the car in order to run richer and cool the engine and CTS down, and when it lowered the temps. the ECU then went back to using the O2 sensor data. Does this sound correct?

After I got home, I lowered the EFIE setting to .150 and will see if this causes the condition again. If it does, I'll lower it further.

Does this conclusion sound correct?
07-26-2008 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: EFIE help? Hot engine? Open Loop?
Are you getting any mileage gains?

Sounds like your cell isn't putting out enough or you have a leak.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-26-2008 06:15 PM
firefly Offline

colchiro Wrote:Are you getting any mileage gains?

Sounds like your cell isn't putting out enough or you have a leak.

Well, before the EFIE I seemed to only get a 1 MPG increase, so I thought that the ECU might be messing with me. So I just installed the EFIE this past Friday, so I have not had enough time to do a mileage check since installing the EFIE. Today was the first time I ran with the EFIE installed.

I have a Super Hydro 2 single unit, using the electrolyte mix of white vinegar and distilled water recommended by Ken Smith. It seems to produce lots of bubbles, a constant stream of them. I have not done the bottle test yet. Since I had no space in the engine compartment, I installed the unit in the back of my small SUV (1999 Chevy Tracker 4L 2.0) and ran the hose up to the front inside of the car, through the firewall, through a flame arrestor, and then into the air filter box after the filter. It uses 10 amps pretty much all the time, gets just warm and I can see what appears to be plenty of bubbles coming from the unit. Ken Smith thought that it would be ok to install it in the back of the car and I saw that S10 guy did the same with his truck. I guess I could check for leaks with soapy water, and take the output hose off the air box and stick it into some water to be for sure that it's making it to the front of the car.

Was my conclusion correct about what happened in my above post?
07-26-2008 06:38 PM
colchiro Offline

Your conclusion is feasible. I've read that it does that. I don't understand why a little hho and an EFIE setting of .2 would cause that tho. A setting of .2 and NO hho could do that tho.Hmm

When you do that output test, make sure you try it with the flame arrestor. Maybe that's restricting your output.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
07-26-2008 06:57 PM
firefly Offline

colchiro Wrote:Your conclusion is feasible. I've read that it does that. I don't understand why a little hho and an EFIE setting of .2 would cause that tho. A setting of .2 and NO hho could do that tho.Hmm

When you do that output test, make sure you try it with the flame arrestor. Maybe that's restricting your output.

Well, I read that Mike (of these forums) has his Dodge Neon set to .110 and he said that some others had to use these type of lower settings as well. So it could mean that .215 could have been just too high of a setting. But yeah, I will check the output with the flame arrestor on and off and see what happens. I will brush a little soapy water on the connections too to see if there are any leaks. I might even wrap some pipe thread tape around the Super Hydro 2's electrolyte reservoir cap threads just to make sure that no leaks can occur there too. It might take a couple of days for me to find the time to go over this with a fine tooth comb. Until I can completely go over the system, I'm going to leave both the EFIE and the HHO unit off.

I'll post an update here, when I get through going over the system and let you know what I find. Just a warning...I'll probably need more help. Blush

Thanks for helping me. Big Grin
07-26-2008 07:13 PM
colchiro Offline

I'd do the output test first and the leak tests if warranted.

You might search for the Hydro Super2 here as I know others have posted their output tests and I know they were a little disappointed as they were expecting more.

Rick

07-26-2008 07:22 PM
cheapfuel Offline

Have you considered MAP/MAF enhancer?
07-26-2008 07:44 PM
firefly Offline

cheapfuel Wrote:Have you considered MAP/MAF enhancer?

yes....but I'm having doubts about this whole HHO thing altogether. I've read about several others on here, that went through the whole process, good HHO production, EFIE installed, some with MAP/MAF enhancers, etc. and they still don't get any mileage gain. That concerns me alot. I've spent alot of time, reading, researching, and then spending some money (Hydro Super 2, EFIE, etc.), and even if I cross all my T's and dot all my i's, it is still possible that I won't see any mileage gains, like others on here. Basically, if I do get good HHO production and the EFIE tuned correctly and still don't see any mileage gain, then that will be the point that I will uninstalled all of the equipment and give up. I'm only willing to invest so much time and money, and I'm just about at my breaking point. Maybe I'm just frustrated or scared that in the end, I will have wasted my time and money for nothing. Sad I wonder if that's how others who've not gained any mileage after doing everything right feel?

I found this article today at consumeraffairs.com and it doesn't help boost me at all. http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/0...r4gas.html

sorry for the rant, but yeah, I've considered the Map/Maf adjuster, but I'm drawing the line at the EFIE. If after all my checking the system and everything turns out ok, and after tuning my EFIE and I still don't get any good results and the car continues to overheat because of too lean of a burn, then my time in the HHO community will end. Then I'll just try to drive this 10 year old car as long as possible until it kicks the bucket or I can trade it in for a electric car in the near future. Chevy Volt? or Smart EV car?
07-26-2008 08:55 PM
firefly Offline

Update:

I think my EFIE might be defective and this is what is causing problems. I turned off the EFIE and left the HHO unit off as well before starting my car and driving to work Sunday morning. Well, again, just as before, about 2 miles from work, I could smell a hot smell, and the car switched to Open Loop. After a minute or so, the smell went away but the car stayed in Open Loop until I got to work. After work, I unplugged the O2 sensor and drove home, it did not get hot like before and drove fine. So it would seem that with or without power, the EFIE is adding voltage to the O2 signal and making my car run too lean and becoming too hot, so the ECU takes over and goes to Open Loop. So why is the EFIE affecting the signal even when the power is off? Maybe my car doesn't like the EFIE no matter if it's on or off. Either case, I removed the EFIE from my car, and fixed the O2 signal wire, drove to work Sunday night, and the car ran normal, didn't get hot and stayed in Closed Loop like it's suppose to do. Worked as normal on the trip back home late tonight.

So do I have a defective EFIE unit? Either way, I'm not going to install another EFIE unit. Does Mike give refunds for defective units?
07-27-2008 10:24 PM
Gary Offline

I checked out that consumer affairs article and got more and more pissed the further I read. First off, wouldn't ya know that the very worst but most advertised unit gets all the headlines, (interesting to see it's author is into a lot of quickbuck scams too) but 3/4's of what the "scientists" said was bunk itself. Old School mentality, and when they said it had been researched to death (HHO), I wanted to say "SHOW ME"! As I understand it, it died off because there just wasn't a need for it. Gas was cheap. Mr. Scientist even went as far as to say we shouldn't mix water with gasoline in the tanks. Shows just how much he knows.
I apologize for the highjack on the thread. Just got inflamed a bit.
07-28-2008 12:01 AM